AIRBNB DOES NOT GIVE A ** ABOUT ITS HOSTS SAFETY

Brooke229
Level 3
Rapid City, SD

AIRBNB DOES NOT GIVE A ** ABOUT ITS HOSTS SAFETY

This weekend I had not one, not two but THREE guests from hell. All ** who refused to download the app. Go figure. First guest arrived later than expected (didn't read or follow instructions because again, refused to download the app) whether this is out of ignorance, defiance or something else entirely I have no idea. Check out time comes and she conveniently sends me a message (in app after she previously said she didn't know how to utilize it) with a breezy "my ride isn't here so I think i'll just stay a while if you don't mind".

McScuseMe **? Um, yeah I mind. 1) You did not pay for beyond the noon check out 2) ANOTHER GUEST IS ARRIVING!

Call Airbnb and you guessed it: crickets. Even after I explained that this guest is squatting in my rental refusing to leave, I the host am uncomfortable and a THIRD UNSUSPECTING PARTY is on the way!!! Airbnb is about to have three problems that are in no way my fault and did JACK **bleep** to help me AND THEY'RE MAKING MONEY OFF EVERYONE INVOLVED. I had to descretely physically remove the guests items and lock her out when she ran an errand, making things entirely inconvenient for my other guests and my family.

Fast forward to day two. Got one dude who refuses to download the app and won't stop complaining about how he can't get in touch with me even though he refuses to download the app to communicate with me, INSISTS I DO EVERYTHING FOR HIM INCLUDING HOW TO WORK A WASHER AND DRYER THE MAN IS 60. Then, a third guest arrives at 10AM. White dude with a beard just brazenly waltzes into my home, not a clue who the hell he is and the first thing he chooses to say is, "Now, everybody calm down don't be scared".

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL **bleep**?!!

Informs me he is staying that night even though check in is not until 3 and has decided to come early because HE WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD THE APP and THEN proceeds to make several racial slurs in front of my hispanic children about how the app is Columbian and he can't get ahold of anyone...enter political rant. I had to coerse him to leave and come back later just to get him away from us, for personal safety and then threaten to contact local authorities.

This has been going on for 72 hours. AIRBNB HAS DONE NOTHING. They've told me sorry, offered to call me back and then not followed through on that promise, hung up on me, transferred me to more reps than a hippie passing a joint and all the while my and my children's personal safety is in peril. WHAT DO THEY DO WHEN THERE IS A MURDER??? Bryan Chesky needs sued.

**[Inappropriate content hidden - Community Center Guidelines and Airbnb Nondiscrimination Policy]

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brooke229  These guests behavior has nothing whatsoever to do with them being boomers or not using the app. 

You are correct, Airbnb doesn't care about host safety. That's a topic talked about on this forum quite a bit.

It isn't necessary for guests to use the app to read and pay attention to the info you send them. They can read it just as easily on the computer desktop version. And they need to let you know they don't use the app ahead of time and you should accommodate that by sending things like door codes, check-in times, address and directions, a day or two ahead of time, not day-of check-in.

These guests were just rude, disrespectful, clueless people, and I'm sorry you had to deal with them.

But that you conflate that with them being boomers who won't download the app is really discriminatory and offensive.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Brooke229 @Sarah977 

In quick succession we have complaints and generalizations about millennials and boomers. Maybe jerks and great people occur in all generations.

Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

@Brooke229  I am super new to hosting. What kind of help can Airbnb give you? It sounds like you did everything you could by showing these guests out the door. 

Airbnb will never do anything for you. You're truly at the mercy of these people  when you host them. My advice? Cover your ass in the rule section and know how to defend yourself.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Marissa160  I guess if the host says, No, you can't stay, your reservation has ended, and they absolutely refuse to leave, Airbnb can say, No, guest, you can't stay, your reservation has ended.  They used to have a line in their terms of service that hosts can charge for each hour the guest has overstayed.  But that line has disappeared.

While I would handle most things without calling Airbnb, I do want them to have my back when I have to call them.  In this case @Brooke229 had some very difficult guests and it would have been nice to feel supported by customer support.  

Brooke229
Level 3
Rapid City, SD

Yeah all Airbnb does is sit back and collect a profit then pay to keep ppl quiet from lawsuits.