AIRBNB WITHHOLDING PAYOUTS

Answered!
Charles183
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

AIRBNB WITHHOLDING PAYOUTS

I strongly advise hosts go into performance > earnings > transaction history > upcoming payouts and see if there are any payouts that haven't been processed. 

I have found over $4,000 in payouts that haven't been paid to myself and client's accounts I manage, some two years past due. 

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? If it's common they could be with holding millions, hundreds of millions or more to hosts. Which is a bit sus before an IPO.

1 Best Answer

@Charles183

This has actually been going on for years. Airbnb likes to refer to them as 'frozen' payouts - but they never really come up with any credible excuse as to how the payouts just happen to become 'frozen' in the first place. (Nor are hosts ever notified by Airbnb that they are holding funds belonging to them, let alone informed of why Airbnb are retaining said funds) 

Airbnb have a treasure chest of excuses they trot out in these instances. Sometimes they'll use the old 'amendment glitch' chestnut (also been around for years, but somehow never gets fixed), sometimes they'll use the 'couldn't collect payment' tale, other times they'll just go "Oh wow!! How did that happen?? That's a mystery!" And so on, and so on.. 

As soon as the host twigs their payout(s) are 'resting in Airbnb' s accounts' though, they'll usually release them fairly pronto. That's if the host ever twigs the missing payouts, of course. It goes without saying that the majority of hosts would simply trust that a 'reputable' company like Airbnb could be trusted to pay them out on time, every time, and wouldn't dream in a million years that this is far, far from the case, and they need to watch every penny due to be paid to them by Airbnb like a hawk. One can only imagine how many 'frozen' payouts slip through the net, that never make their way to their rightful owners (hosts)

Every so often, a host will come across this issue and post it on one of the many STR-related groups or forums, then hosts will run to check their Upcoming Payouts tab, and invariably, several will come back to say that they discovered some missing funds also.

So no, its no fluke. It's a regular occurrence in the magical world of Airbnb. 

Penelope

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22

ME TOO!  Airbnb is also my income.  I'm missing $2,000 that Airbnb gives me a song and dance about.  My own checking account is getting dangerously low as a result.  I'm wondering if a class action lawsuit would be in order.  

Angelina45   Karla128   Ann72   Super47   Charles183   Colleen253 

Hi all,

I'm following up on this thread to see if you all have 
since been paid? I am owed over US$17,000 myself and am being shoved from one department to another. My help messages are getting arbitrarily closed and there is no one following on this case despite repeated calls.

I'm concerned whether I'll getting my money back ever and am also worried if there's anything else going on in terms of the company's financial health.

As hosts, this is part of, if not all of our livelihood and as someone hosting in Shanghai that is facing 6 weeks of lockdown with no income, I need funds urgently to pay for rentals. Airbnb is not supporting hosts when we need support the most and is really messing with our livelihoods.

I'm a former financial journalist and am going to contact media on this  so am getting in touch with hosts who have not been paid so there's an avenue to get a sense of how big a problem this is.

Best regards,

Faye

Did you ever receive these payouts, if so what did you do? We have $67,000 that has not been deposited. 

Can I ask if your payout was released? If it is resolved, can you please share some of your insight? 

I’m in Ireland snd having the exact same issue. Excuse after excuse, all nonsense like blaming the bank when it’s clear Airbnb hasn’t released the funds. And fobbed iff from person to person with zero solutions and then another closed thread. Has anyone figured it out? Tried updating my ID but of course you can’t update, you can only remove and if yiu remove they automatically cancel all upcoming bookings. It’s criminal what they’re doing. 

Ashley1462
Level 2
Lansing, MI

I'm having issues as well. Guest arrived Aug 27. As of today (Sept 8), still haven't received his payout. He has extended stay 2x, I read that may be why. But I'm so fed up with connecting with someone on chat or phone, only to be pawned off an another person that's not willing to help me. It's infuriating! They keep saying my payout will be in bank account in 1 more day, then nothing arrives. I have to pay my mortgage with this money, I don't know what to do. I've told them I have no choice but to pursue consumer arbitration in the hopes that would like a fire under their butt, but it hasn't helped. I really don't think their customer support team has any idea how their financial system works

I'm on board with your consumer arbitration.  Let me know how I can help. Tomorrow I'm calling the Consumer Alert TV station and the Better Business Bureau.  I can see from your experience, which is identical to mine, that all my efforts to receive my own money are going into wind.  I have to pay bills with this money, too, so this whim of theirs is harmful to us hosts.

I've hosted since 2016, with a 2-year hiatus during Covid.  I've been a Superhost.  People love my place and become personal friends.  Airbnb should be very ashamed of themselves.  It seems they are hiring stupid people who don't care about satisfying hosts or solving problems.

Watch out VRBO, you may be getting another host!

I have never checked this board before, but if you like, text me at 423.702.1204. Janet

Evelyn856
Level 1
Santa Cruz, CA

I, too, have now been impacted by Airbnb not releasing three of my payments.  I've also made several contacts with their "Superhost Ambassadors" to no avail.  After looking for others who may have experienced this issue and found resolution, I came to this site.  I am astonished at how many people have had the same problem.  I live in the greater SF Bay Area (home to corporate offices for Airbnb) so have contacted the local public radio station as well as one of the local TV news outlets.  I have send both a link to two forums where other hosts have complained.  Perhaps if more of us encourage media coverage, something will be done.