ANYONE CAN MISREPRESENT HOST STATUS

Jonathan1778
Level 2
Eminence, MO

ANYONE CAN MISREPRESENT HOST STATUS

I find this hard to believe, but after 2 separate incidents in the last month, I asked support how a guest can identify as a host, replete with the host badge, while that is not the case. Much to my surprise, I was told folks only need to start a host profile to gain that badge (and trust of other hosts, obviously).  It has been my experience that loopholes like this are rapidly disseminated to other terrible guests wishing to garner trust, before trashing your place.  Make sure any time you see “also a host,” there is a link to their property/ properties. If there is not, they are not a host. 

5 Replies 5
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jonathan1778 

That's interesting. I've often wondered about this and eventually assumed it was just a glitch after another host on the CC mentioned that he often saw this too.

Many times I've seen guest profiles that say 'also a host' but with no listings. Even if those listings no longer existed, they should surely have some reviews for them on the profile, but no...

That explains a lot. The 'also a host' should not be shown until someone has at least listed an Airbnb even if they are yet to host a stay.

Next time I see this on a guest profile, I am going to ask them if they are actually a host and, if not, why they have chosen that as part of their profile.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Jonathan1778  I am sure that is not the case. To be a host at the very least you need to upload your details including banking and homestay pics  among a myriad of other things and the superhost badge is not 'just handed out 'for uploading your accommodation. you have something to say about an incident of someone who we are supposed to assume was'a host ' who trashed your place maybe ?those of us who actually 'host' have little time to go to others home stays in order to trash them and we have reviews to show that we would not do that. I suggest if you have evidence against 'rogue hosts ' then you report it appropriately H

@Helen744 

You obviously don’t need to believe me, but you are flatly incorrect on each point you try to make; just trying to help

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

the same thing happened to me today, it says he is also a host but i can't see his listings or reviews from guests. Maybe it is hidden from us, new Airbnb trick

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

it’s not — though support initially believed my assertion(s) incorrect, after putting me on hold for a bit, they completely changed their tune — an Airbnb user only needs to begin the process in order to acquire the “also a host” label