About Extra Guest Fee

Answered!

About Extra Guest Fee

Hi all,

Just now when I was looking at the base price breakdown of an apartment, I saw that the extra guest fee is included in the base price.

I'm not sure how this extra guest fee works and would be grateful if somebody could clarify it for me......

My imagination is that, if I let someone else sneak into the apartment, such that more guests are living in the apartment than what's specified in the booking, then I'll have to pay the extra guest fee.

I'm not sure if I got it correct. If it is indeed correct then does it mean I don't have to pay for the extra guest fee in case nobody sneaks in?

Thank you very much!

1 Best Answer

@Patrick664

A host will specify a night rental fee and the number of guests allowed for that fee  e.g. 4 

They will also specify a maximum number for the apartment  e.g. 6

The extra guest fee is the fee for guests 5 and 6 , should they be required

So, if you are 5 guests you pay the nightly fee and one extra guest fee

"My imagination is that, if I let someone else sneak into the apartment, such that more guests are living in the apartment than what's specified in the booking, then I'll have to pay the extra guest fee."

no..if you sneek in unpaid guests the reservation can be cancelled and you can be thrown out by the host...as it is a violation of the rental terms,  ..although ..if you are lucky..you might be allowed to pay the extra fee..depends... if you allow in more than the maximum allowed....then you would be thrown out

(I am not saying you would do that..I just mean should the situation occur)

View Best Answer in original post

32 Replies 32

@Patrick664

A host will specify a night rental fee and the number of guests allowed for that fee  e.g. 4 

They will also specify a maximum number for the apartment  e.g. 6

The extra guest fee is the fee for guests 5 and 6 , should they be required

So, if you are 5 guests you pay the nightly fee and one extra guest fee

"My imagination is that, if I let someone else sneak into the apartment, such that more guests are living in the apartment than what's specified in the booking, then I'll have to pay the extra guest fee."

no..if you sneek in unpaid guests the reservation can be cancelled and you can be thrown out by the host...as it is a violation of the rental terms,  ..although ..if you are lucky..you might be allowed to pay the extra fee..depends... if you allow in more than the maximum allowed....then you would be thrown out

(I am not saying you would do that..I just mean should the situation occur)

Hi Mike, thank you for your response.

While I absolutely do not intend to violate my rental terms, please accept my apology for having such imagination......

The concept has become clear to me. Also, I think I have figured out the no. of allowed guests for the night rental fee of the apartment I was looking at. Now I understand that I'm getting the extra guest fee in the base price because I'm traveling with one more person than that no. of allowed guests......

Thank you very much!

Hi Mike,

I was searching for help on extra guest - fees and settings - when I stumbled upon your answer. Your answer clarified some things, but I do have another question regarding the behavior of the Airbnb system that's related to your answer. 

So my listing can accommodate 3 people in total (2 persons regular booking, 1 extra guest). Initially I have priced it to accommodate the max 3 guests (so I would not bother with the extra guest fees). But reviewing my listing, if I do have an extra guest fee for the 3rd person, I could lower down the price to be more attractive to users booking for only 2 persons.

So I've indicated in my listing that it can accommodate 3 persons, and I've set the extra guest to the settings below (kindly refer to the image below). My question is, will the number of extra guests that an Airbnb user can book be limited by the number of guest my listing can accommodate (which in this case, only 1 extra person since my listing is set to accommodate 3 persons only). My concern is if the user can book more than 1 extra person, since the setting just says "For each guest after 2".

Hopefully I was able to articulate well my concern and thanks in advance for the help!

Jops

Screenshot from 2018-05-18 09-56-07.png

I can´t find this??

Hello I just read this post and I am a little confused if the guest reserves for four  but there’s five extra guests  I can charge for the five extra guests? Airbnb is no help. I would like to know how I can go about doing that as well as if the guest violates the rules and guidelines terminated stay.

Barbara1193
Level 2
Millerton, NY

I want to charge an extra $50 flat for use of the second bed in the suite on AIRBNB.  How do I post that  Right now AirBNB posted $50 a night and I probably lose reservations because of that

@Barbara1193 if you want to add an extra fee for extra guests, here is a help page on the topic:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Extra-Guest-Fee-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/53364#M2477

@Barbara1193 You can only add extra guest fee and cleaning fee. It is not possible for adding extra fee of using second bed.

One alternative way for it is to add description of such a fee in your listing such as your house rule. Then later you can collect it through Send or Request Money. But this may not guaranttee that you can get the money and may get complaints from the guest.

Tammy243
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

I'm looking at homes on Airbnb and am very confused as to why they would list sleeps 6 or 8 or 10 and then when i say I have 6, they charge me for extra guests saying it is only for 4...I feel like this is very deceiving.  

Lyle9
Level 1
Austin, TX

I agree with Tammy264. In my view, this is very deceptive. You don't see anywhere on some pages the number of guests allowed before extra charges. They just get added with no notice. You also don't see what the service charge and cleaning charge is until you start to book. So a booking I was making that advertised for 4 people 73/night ended up being 157/night. That is not OK. Hotels got in trouble for these "hidden fees" and advertising rates that were not true - why does Airbnb get away with it?

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lyle9 and @Tammy243 if you could post listings where this has happened we can take a look for you.

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Tammy243@Lyle9 .

If you BEGIN your search with the appropriate number of guests in the search bar ( dates/ no of guests) then you will not get any surprises.  You will be shown all available venues in a certain area for the dates you want to stay with the relevant cost for the number of guests you wish to bring.

Nobody is trying to be deceptive. BUT many hosts with large houses which can accomodate lots of guests still make their base rate for 2 or 4  guests to make their property affordable to people travelling with fewer guests. so it works both ways - the fewer people staying the less it costs, the more people staying the more it costs.  Not all hosts work this way, but many do.    Without dates and number of guests entered, Airbnb do tend to advertise a property at it's lowest possible rate ( low season, lowest base number of guests) but hotels and airlines do that too.  HEAPS of times I've clicked on a super cheap price/fare, only to discover it's much more for the dates I want.

Hope this helps

Regards

Tammy243
Level 1
New Jersey, United States

I would put in that there are 6 of us and I would get a list of homes with enough beds etc to accommodate us. I also put in the price range I was looking for.  I assumed I was being shown the price that we would be charged, then I see the extra people fee once I go to book.  I didn't know is was a thing to start with a base price.  Now I know,  but I think it would be helpful to put this in the ad.  We ended up going with someone who did not operate this way.  Thanks for your reply.  

Hi @Tammy243 .

That sounds really WEIRD.  If you put that there are 6 guests, the place that you are shown  should have the prices inclusive of 6 guests.   It may be that when you see the total price it includes "the extra guest fee" but that then shouldn't push the price up any higher - it shoudl already have been included

I search listings all the time this way, and I always see the total price up front - I"ve just double checked and clicked on a listing and it says "Price shown is the total trip price, including additional fees and taxes."  When I click on the total fees i also get the link which says "Average nightly rate is rounded. Includes extra guest fees."

I'm not arguing with you, just really perplexed.  there's always more to learn!

would you mind providing the link to some of these listings so that I can have a look?  I'm far from an expert and dont' want to be misguiding you, but I've just checked out a range of places on different countries and it all appeared to work the same way.

Maybe a more experienced host can illuminate...

Cheers