Accepted Reservations percentage question

Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

Accepted Reservations percentage question

AirBnb would like us all to maintain an 88% or higher number when it comes to the “basic requirements” of accepted reservations. My question or comment to this is as follows. 

We had another third party booking attempt (most likely innocent enough, someone booking for a family member) however since it goes against AirBnb policy and therefore goes against our clearly stated policy and practice also. 

I immediate declined this booking request, clicked the “I’m uncomfortable with this request” and further explained to AirBnb (on the automated system) that we were decking the request based on the AirBnb policy of not accepting third party bookings. 

Not only does this decline “count against me” but we are double penalized in the “accepted reservations” requirement even though the request went against Airbnb’s own policy. 

In our short time of hosting, we have declined many, third party booking attempts and our accepted reservations percentage falls very short of 88% plus the negative hit on our algorithm for declining. 

There should be a “declining due to third party booking violation” button as a choice when AirBnb wants a reason why you are declining bookings. 

My rant for the day, it’s just frustrating to have a bunch of booking requests that are not legitimate, count against my percentages. 

Regards/Andrea and Glenn

#millbaycottagerental 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Andrea-and-Glenn0  Yes of course it's absurd that declines for guests contravening Airbnb policy or a host's rules are penalized.

If it's an inquiry, no need to decline, just answering the message is all that's required. If it's a booking request, explain to the guest why you can't accept and urge them to withdraw the request, so you won't have to decline.

If it's an innocent 3rd party booking, just explain that it is against the TOS, and for them to withdraw the request and have the person who is going to stay book through their own account. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Andrea-and-Glenn0 

You can explain to the guest why you can not accept ans ask them to retract the booking request. Most do, is my experience. BTW if it is a inquiry, just answer and/or pre-approve, but never decline (no need).

"Thank you for your interest! I am unable to accept your reservation because it is against Airbnb's Terms of Service to book on behalf of someone else. Please withdraw your request and have your family member enter a request using their own account."

Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

@Emilia42 yes I sent a similar message but have never asked for a booking request to be withdrawn and will try that next time. 

Thanks @Sarah977 yes it was a booking request. 

This situation escalated even when I advised him about third party bookings etc...

He offered to come pay me cash, tried to send me his email, phone number and Facebook page. He was trying to book for his son and daughter in law who do not have an AirBnb account. 

Ive now reported this user, will he be blocked from contacting us any further?

G&A

@Andrea-and-Glenn0 When you report someone you are given the option of blocking them as well. Definitely good to report someone who "offered to come pay me cash, tried to send me his email, phone number and Facebook page". That's a lot of violations. 

I also answer as Emilia does and it usually does the trick. However, if it doesn't, you can just open a chat with Airbnb and get them to withdraw the request.