Access to IPO

Answered!
Tam43
Level 2
Daly City, CA

Access to IPO

Does anybody know if hosts will have access to the IPO? We are a huge reason the company is successful, so it feels like we should be able to participate in some way as the company goes public. 

1 Best Answer

Qualified, US based hosts received info in the last couple weeks as to how to invest in the IPO.  There are also ways other than this Directed Share Program to purchase ABNB stock.

From Airbnb...a couple weeks ago:

"To be eligible, you must be a U.S. resident who has, as of November 1, 2020, accepted a reservation that began or was scheduled to begin in 2019 or 2020. If you did not receive an email on Monday November 16, you are not eligible to participate. If you believe you’re an eligible host and the form is not loading, make sure you’re logged into the account that received the email or notification."

Scott @ Sou4thATX

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Jim554
Level 2
Oxford, MS

W  he at price were you able to buy at?  I wasn’t aware that we were eligible and had to wait until it came out at 146.

Deborah716
Level 2
Goodlettsville, TN

Yes, why are we not getting info about how to participate/invest?

Qualified, US based hosts received info in the last couple weeks as to how to invest in the IPO.  There are also ways other than this Directed Share Program to purchase ABNB stock.

From Airbnb...a couple weeks ago:

"To be eligible, you must be a U.S. resident who has, as of November 1, 2020, accepted a reservation that began or was scheduled to begin in 2019 or 2020. If you did not receive an email on Monday November 16, you are not eligible to participate. If you believe you’re an eligible host and the form is not loading, make sure you’re logged into the account that received the email or notification."

Scott @ Sou4thATX

Meant to tag @Deborah716 @Tam43 .  Seems that a lot of folks didn't receive or missed emails on 11/16.  I do agree that Airbnb should/could have easily made this information available in more ways than they did.  Response from those who want to participate has been over the top from what I have read here and elsewhere.

If you have a brokerage/trading account somewhere, I would suggest calling them to find out how other ways to invest.  You have options.  Good luck!

Scott @ Sou4thATX
Deborah716
Level 2
Goodlettsville, TN

I did receive the email and I did respond to “the form” but I haven’t heard anything since. Do you know what the next step will be? I want to have $$ available in case I am allowed to purchase shares:) Is there a hotline/info line? Thanks! 

I think the number to call is 1-800-eat-sh*t.  I'm disappointed i was not extended the opportunity to participate - I submitted my info before the due date and I qualified per the established guidelines 😞

Sean1048
Level 2
Portland, ME

Yeah I didn’t receive anything and I’ve been a super host for 3 years!  Bull**bleep**!

Matt704
Level 2
Euless, TX

I am confused about this as well I suppose I didnt get accepted. I recieved the email and submitted the form but nothing.

Jasper50
Level 2
Somerville, NJ

They held their shares for who they wanted to give their shares too, not the typical 1-2 property hosts that are the backbone of the company.  

The share price is down 15% already in a week after IPO.  You all dodged a bullet, including me.  If you invested $10k originally you would already be down $1500.  If you are not familiar with IPOs... that is a botched one. Maybe greed doesn't pay off?  Probably not a great business plan to shun a majority of your workforce that wanted to invest in you?

@Jasper50 

Ummm.  As of right now (Dec 16th @ 10:27am CST), ABNB stock is $139.66.  The DSP offered it at $68 per share.  If you'd invested $10,000 at $68, you'd be UP OVER $10,500.  That's profit.  Yeah...makes no sense.

Scott @ Sou4thATX
Jasper50
Level 2
Somerville, NJ

@Scott336 yes, if you were one of the lucky few honored by Airbnb to be deserving enough of their Pre-IPO shares and then had the forethought to sell immediately after IPO... things worked out for you. But this business model is broken, has more competition over the last few years, and it’s going to continue to go red. Airbnb is in major debt and going public was a bandaid fix to a systemic problem. If you think I’m wrong, hold on to your shares. It’s not my bank account

@Jasper50 

I get it.  You are correct. Its a gamble.  You know Directed Shares Programs aren't new and they always leave people out.  I've been a part of a couple prior and missed out.   I have no idea what the intent was for folks who purchased shares this way.  You could't purchase enough to retire on...so for some...it was a way to make some quick cash.  Perhaps to cover losses from this year.  Do you begrudge them that?  I did get in and feel fortunate. It served a purpose for me.

Scott @ Sou4thATX