Accidental injury cover for host

Maria13303
Level 1
Opua, New Zealand

Accidental injury cover for host

Hi, I have a confirmed booking for a family with a 6 year old and 9 month old.  My home is listed as unsuitable for children under 12.  The family are aware of this and  would still like to stay.  Im new to air bnb and not sure what to do.  Am I covered for accidental injury to guests under 12?  

Thanks, Maria

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

When guests request that you accommodate something which is contrary to your house rules, just say no, sorry. You created those rules for a reason- stick to them and don't let guests try to push you around. Also, guests who start off asking you to make a exception for them generally turn out to be problematic in other ways, as well.

And in spite of Airbnb's feel-good rhetoric about their host guarantee, don't ever assume that Airbnb will cover you for anything. You need your own str insurance.

@Maria13303

How were they able to have a confirmed booking when your rules say no children? @Maria13303

@Sarah977  It would be really cool if selecting "unsuitable for children" in the Policies tab actually blocked requests or Instant Books from groups with children, but unfortunately they still get through unless the host declines them.

Airbnb bookings in many countries (not sure about NZ) do include a very limited liability insurance

that supposedly applies in the event of accidental injuries on your property, but it's no substitute for a more comprehensive private liability benefit. Overall I agree with @Sarah977  that guests asking for exceptions to your rules tend to be a big red flag - I'd advise these guests to cancel and choose a home more appropriate for young children.