Account hacked- accessed 91x on February 17 from Russia, Luxembourg, Ukraine, Poland, Singapore

Kathleen133
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Account hacked- accessed 91x on February 17 from Russia, Luxembourg, Ukraine, Poland, Singapore

I am not an Airbnb host, but a guest, and rarely log in to Airbnb. However, when I tried to reserve an accomodation last night from the official Airbnb site (https) I was unable to do so, due to Chrome blocking "unsafe scripts." It appears that an external source was trying to hack/hijack the reservation process. I opened a new incognito browser and completed the reservation, maintaining a secure connection (https).

Airbnb prompted me to (re)verify my account via two-step authentification, and I changed my password. 

Concerned about account security, I checked Login History. I found that my account was accessed 91 times on February 17, 2017 from various locations like London, Russia, Ukraine, Luxemburg, Thailand, and Spain, with each login minutes apart. All are now listed as "logged out," but it is clear my account was compromised on February 17, and this may have affected my reservation process last night.

Airbnb never notified me of these suspicious logins at the time, and it is only three months later that I realize my account was hacked.

Considering my payment information stored on Airbnb, and lack of options in resolving this problem apart from changing my password, this sends red flags in Airbnb's ability to keep accounts and information secure. After my trip, I will definitely consider cancelling my account. 

Examples of fraudulent logins:

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 12.32.32 PM.png

Example of "unsafe scripts" within the official Airbnb website:

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 1.12.11 PM.png

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kathleen133 go to host / dashboard / account /notifications ... and check off fields in "push notifications settings" like Account activity etc... you will get email when someone login from unknown browser or do some changes on your account.

Sure, I've done that. But that doesn't change the fact that my account was somehow breached earlier without my knowledge, and without Airbnb informing me. 

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it?