Accounting Spreadsheet

Answered!
Gaetano-and-Odilia0
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Accounting Spreadsheet

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone suggest software to record all income and expenses or perhaps a shreadsheet does the trick.  Thank you.

1 Best Answer

Thank you Clare.  Going to try that 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Gaetano-and-Odilia0 You can use a spreadsheet if you want.  I use Quicken for Home & Business and I record all my transactions: regular and Airbnb but with each transaction I categorize it as a Rental Expense (utilities, repair, maintenance, occupancy tax, etc.) and Rental Income. 

At the end of the year I simply run a report and in 2 seconds I have all the information I need.  🙂

Thank you Clare.  Going to try that 🙂

I once used spreadsheets but it becomes too much manual work especially if you have more than one listing. Quicken is nice but I couldn't find any Airbnb integration for it.

Recently I use QuickBooks with Bnbtally: https://www.bnbtally.com/airbnb/quickbooks/integration

Bnbtally integrates Airbnb directly with QuickBooks. My accountant recommended it and it has great reviews on the QuickBooks App Store. I've been using it for several months now. It generates detailed invoices and bills for each reservation and then automatically reconciles everything in QuickBooks. Everything is synced precisely and I'm able to create detailed reports in QuickBooks for each listing with all accommodation fares, cleaning fees, Airbnb service fees, commissions and trust accounts separated and calculated perfectly. It saves me a ton of time each month.

Hi! This is great. Are you also able to reconcile utilities and misc expenses for each unit as well? I am using XLS for 10 listings and it is a HEADACHE NOW. 

Lorinda--Lori-0
Level 2
West Kelowna, Canada

If you rent out a suite in your home can you use Quicken to calculate the following:

portion of home rented vs whole home

expenses for number of days rented

expenses that are shared with whole home and expenses that are strictly for the suite

and then income and expensed split between homeowners?

thanks,

Lori

Did you end up going with Quicken? We also airbnb out a portion of our home and need  a program that can do the math month by month based on occupancy etc. 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I just use a spreadsheet, both for our listing and smallholding.  I prefer to have control over calculations and be able to manipulate the data the way I want to.

@Kathie21 What spreadsheet if you don’t mind me asking?

Diane471
Level 2
Virginia Beach, VA

If anyone is still following this thread, I checked out a few softwares (Quicken, Landlord Max) but they did not meet my needs.  I finally came across hurdlr and I've been trying them out the last few days.  They are web-based so you can work on your tracking from just about anywhere you have internet and a computer.  They also have a phone app but I haven't tried it out yet -- I just downloaded because you can track your mileage automatically from there.

So far, I've only tried the free version but it has met all my needs including sending myself and my accountant reports (there are several types including tax reporting).  You can track multiple properties, download receipts, income etc.  You can also link to your bank for income, not a link for Airbnb directly yet.  The group is still improving their program.  There are charts, you can see profit and loss, expenses, income etc.

You can search for help topics or there are two people on chat you can send messages to.  So far, they have been getting back to me instantly -- no robots looking for keywords and sending you suggestions.  They actually answer the questions directly.

Please do yourself a huge favor, try it out.  It is FREE for a lot of features.  Please use my link, I do get a reward if you sign up for the premium version.  Even if you don't sign up for the premium, it will make your life A LOT EASIER!

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Jessica638
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

Hi, 

I found this thread a while ago and many like this. 

I'm an Airbnb property manager and I manage 50+ properties. I've experienced the same issues you have in trying to reconcile my books. I've teamed up with some software developers and we have built a prototype program to import data from Airbnb CSV files into Xero templates. I'm doing a round of Alpha testing to find ways to improve the software and also to have it ready for Open Beta testing. If you use Airbnb and Xero for your accounting package and would like to give it a test, please give me a message or email me.

It is definitely not a finished product, but in saying that, I've been using it for the last 4 months every week without any issues. Recently we built the web UI to be more user friendly and now my bookkeeper (with no programming knowledge) is able to use it for reconciliation each week.

There are two modes, property investor/owner and manager, the main difference is one calculates commissions and the other does not.

Thanks

Mandy215
Level 2
Port Douglas, Australia

Hi this sounds exactly what  I am looking for, Ionly have 2 propeties but use a spreadsheet and lots of mucking round.

I would love to give your software a try.

I am an owner

thanks 

Mandy Stone

Hello @Jessica638 , could try your beta software, please? Thank you! I would you leave my corresponding feedback. 

I would also be interested if possible. Thanks.

Also interested, I have 2 going on 3 properties rn. Thank you!