Acommodation charges plus deposit questions

Robyn94
Level 2
United States

Acommodation charges plus deposit questions

I am brand new to Airbnb. I am taking a trip to Washington DC and would like to use Airbnb but I am confused on how payment words as it relates to the cost of the acommodation and the deposit. For example, if the room is $100.00 per night and the security deposit is $200 dollars, do you have to put $300 dollars down for the room? Or is the Security deposit only taken out if damages were done but you don't have to come up with the $200.00 up front? I hope this makes sense. Thank you for any input.

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

You can type "security deposit" into Help at the top of your screen when you are signed in to your Airbnb account, @Robyn94, but since it is a bit vague, here you go: In your example, you need only pay the $100 for the room. You pay that at the time you book. (The host does not get it until a day or so after you check in.) The $200 security deposit is a hold of that amount on your credit card, but it never gets charged. Never, that is, unless you do something terrible, but I assume you have no plans for that 🙂

Does that help?

Thank you, @Lawrene0, I appreciate the explanation. I do wonder how long before they take the $200 hold for the security deposit off your debit card account. I am planning a 3 week vacation to the New England States, and I think the security deposits would add up to a fairly decent amount of money. I need to make sure that I will have money available for my time there that isn't tied up. If that makes sense. Thank you so much for your input. It's very appreciated.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Robyn94

As @Lawrene0 mentioned in her post the deposit doesn't actually get taken against your card. It is only ever used if you damage a property, then a host can ask Airbnb to use some/all of it, if the damage can be proven.

Did you have a look at information about security deposits on the Help Centre that Lawrence directed you towards? Do have a look and if you need any further clarification, do feel free to give Airbnb a call. Their contact details are at the top of the forum you are posting in in a post entitled Contact Airbnb.

Hi @Helen3,

Thank you, yes I did look and I understand how it works now. I appreciate both of you ladies for helping me. I am excitely planning my trip. 

Have a good day!

Robyn