Additional Cleaning Fees for Longer Term Stays

Jennifer2518
Level 2
Knoxville, TN

Additional Cleaning Fees for Longer Term Stays

I've read many threads on this subject. It's clear that it takes much longer to clean after a long term tenant has been in an apartment since most of them tend not to clean much or at all when they are there. It does not appear that AirBnB has offered an option to hosts yet to address this. Is this correct or has this been rectified and I'm just not seeing this option? It would also be nice if in addition to allowing the system to automatically adjust rates for weekends, it would have an option to adjust automatically for holiday stays since those tend to almost always create more demand.

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just build the costs of regular cleans into your long term rate @Jennifer2518 

You can adjust pricing for weekends and holidays  so they have higher rates on your listing settings (See Airbnb Help Centre for details if you are unsure on how you can do this).

Nancy1300
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

I agree, I think being able to adjust a cleaning rate for long term guest is smart.  It takes more to clean up after a long term gues than short term. My fee is modest, I have the weekend and holiday pricing but it still does not make up for the long term guest cleaning fee.  That should be an option for the host to control.

What do I charge for 30 day stay 2 adults

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Donald252,

The best way to determine a cleaning fee is to consult cleaning companies in your area to find out their costs to clean and turn over your rental.  Since I now have to pay for the total service fee, I stopped charging a separate cleaning fee, and increased my rates to cover all fees.  Guests seem to appreciate that they are paying the same price that is displayed on the search results page.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Jennifer2518,

Before the pandemic, I had requested a way to charge for weekly cleanings.  I was informed by reps from more than one platform that the reservation systems are built for either a daily fee or a one time fee.  Since the daily fee didn't suit my needs, I've done as @Helen3 suggested, and adjusted the nightly rate (in my case, provided a smaller weekly or monthly discount) to account for the additional cleaning that may be required for longer stays.  If you don't offer a length of stay discount, but sometimes offer promotional discounts, you can add other fees such as the management or resort fee, to cover the additional cleaning.  I still have a cleaning fee that covers the cost for preparing the space for rental, because it takes the same amount of effort regardless of the nightly rate.