Advice for petitioning my HOA for permission

Advice for petitioning my HOA for permission

Hi! 

I have not yet opened my condo unit to AirB&B. My condo association has a three month minimum for rental contracts. I have no intention of defying them. I want to petition for permission and am preparing my pitch. I've met the association lawyer and would like his input as well. I know that i can promise guest limitations and parking stipulations, etc through the guest rules. 

I'm assuming their fear is of the "big bad" technology of the booking system...  I'd like to start with the reasurance that I am still living in the unit and will be there at the end of each guest's one to two night term to make sure the property is intact and clean, and i will be readily providing reviews for my guests, good and bad... And that I am a good association member and intend to stay that way -regardless of their decision, I will comply fully.

As a "landlord," I feel more comfortable about having access to my property every two days, rather than after months or years of the tenant's occupancy. That being said, I've never done this before and I'm worried about "bad tenants," just as much as anyone else is..

Can I get a list of other things that I should take into consideration here? Anybody with any experience? 

2 Replies 2
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Kimberly137 Be prepared for an uphill battle. Anecdotally, I’ve never heard of an HOA reversing their decision and allowing STR’s. 

Troy57
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hey Kimberly, just stumbled on this thread. Did you happen to have any luck broaching the subject with your HOA. I'm currently putting together a proposal for my building and hoping to find a few success cases.