Advice for review of a host - police involved

Heather481
Level 1
Newmachar, United Kingdom

Advice for review of a host - police involved

I stayed with a Superhost just over a week ago who had great reviews. On the first night the host's (sometime) girlfriend (who didn't live there) woke me at midnight with screams (like shouting except in scream form) about how she was being beaten. She kept shouting it. I didn't know what to do being female myself and the host being male. Plus, I am acutely aware of what can happen if you get between a couple fighting. I could mostly only hear what she was 'saying', but then I could hear the host saying that he never touched her, and she replied 'you're beating me mentally'. So there was no violence at all, and I couldn't hear any sounds of violence. It calmed down at some point after about an hour. I was pretty terrified, but I managed to get back to sleep when the screeching had stopped. The next morning I tiptoed out of the house and went to the local art school I was attending on holiday, and I spoke to them about it. They advised me to speak to them about it. So I went back and tried to talk to the host, but I got no answer from the rooms. I figured they must be out. I couldn't get them for the next two days. I was walking on eggshells for the next couple of days, but at least it was quiet. 

And then, at 5am on the 3rd night/morning the front door was being banged on by the girl, drunk, getting progressively louder and louder and then shouting to get let in. The host let her in as she was walking the street up. Then chaos. She started screaming again, accusing the host of violence again. Then there was stuff being smashed up, and I could hear the host asking to be let go and to stop hitting him, stop pulling his hair, stop biting him, stop kicking him, and she was accusing him of hitting a woman. It was very difficult to know what was going on but when he spoke it was muffled as if he was in a headlock or his head pulled down. Things were being flown across the room by the girl as he asked her to stop throwing stuff around. Then my door was battered into, and at that point it had gone on for an hour and I, too scared to leave the room, called the police. 

The police asked if I was safe or felt unsafe. I said I was in the room too scared to go out, and I didn't feel safe as the door has been battered into. The police called me back asking how things were at that time, and I said it was quiet. I was told that the police were on their way. I took the quiet moment to get dressed and pack my bags, and then left. As I was leaving the police turned up and took a statement from me. 

This was at 6am. I was wondering the streets with my suitcase on a Sunday morning with no place to go. There is more to this story about Airbnb and trying to get somewhere else to stay, that cost me more money and I was left without a place to stay even after I booked another place. I was told by Airbnb to find a third place to stay but, time wasn't a luxury I had.  I was so let down by the Airbnb system that I found a hotel. I was seriously out of pocket, but I was safe.

I came home after my holiday, to find a citation to appear at court in a case against the girl. 

I have not left a review yet. I don't know what to do. If I leave a bad review, it might impact on the court case. The host might take the side of his girlfriend/ex. at the court. It didn't seem like the host's fault, and I suppose domestic incidents can happen anywhere, but I felt endangered. I don't care about him leaving me a negative review in return as I won't be using Airbnb again. It's the court case in September I'm concerned about. 

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Heather481 awful experience and sounds like a heady mix of alcohol and domestic violence.

You are being asked to judge your stay there - you are not being asked to give details of what happened or any pending court case.

You can simply say: I am unable to comment due to pending court case (altnough this could sound like it's your fault).. Or you can factually say: very uncomfortable stay due to the host's domestic issues. 

@Heather481  OMG, what an absolute nightmare of an experience. Its never perfect sharing spaces because its simply a tiptoe in someones home and my opinion,  you were left out at 6 am with no where to go with a suitcase on the street, this is not acceptable and your host should have booked a hotel and paid for the inconvenience. I'm glad you phone the police to help you. Your host knowing the trouble and her screaming should have imediately removed his girlfriend, apologise to you for the noise.

Do write a review and keep it factual and simple. I hope you can find the strength to phone airbnb and get reinbursed, they should be able to get some refund from that particular host. 

Thanks for sharing your story. 

@Heather481

How totally awful!!!! It was very irresponsible of the host and totally unacceptable of Airbnb to leave you in the lurch like that....... I would not blame you if you never used Airbnb again. With that said, I hope you do leave an honest review - the host was experiencing domestic issues and put you (guest) at risk, the host SHOULD HAVE handled it better. You felt threatened enough to call the police, and Airbnb was no help AT ALL. Like other hosts have commented, I hope you are able to get a refund for all the worry and trouble you had to go thru during your vacation..... not that any amount of money will really make up for your nightmare of an experience. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I would review.

It could be as simple as "I would not stay with this host again and cannot recommend that anyone would."

And I would suggest to you that:

1) some situations don't call for a second chance

2) I'd go back to abb to get some compensation and to have this host's account disabled as he does not sound to be in a position to be hosting right now