Advice on leaving an ambivalent review please

Amy2098
Level 1
Seminole, FL

Advice on leaving an ambivalent review please

The day after my guest moved in with an anticipated 2 month stay, they called with extreme accusations and general freaking out that my queen bed had bedbugs !!! (and a couple of other not as serious complaints). Of course I knew it wasn’t true.

I never accept guests without reviews and I made an exception this time. I did think, that this is a very affluent couple probably used to five star hotels. I am not a new host. despite extensive conversations before they moved in, I believe their expectations were  out of line.

When this happened,I’m thinking,This guy is shrewd, he’s a analytical … and if he really believed they were bedbugs would he still be staying there? Would he still have his clothing in the closet and his suitcase is open all over the place? Bull. . I think he just wanted a brand new mattress (….as if that should be built in to an Airbnb budget?)

I went over immediately

and he had taken all of my linens that I spent so much time preparing, big fluffy blankets, yada yada yada all on the floor as he’s showing me marks on the mattress that showed “ Evidence of bedbugs”

Knowing full well, I was the one here at risk, After a few minutes going back-and-forth I firmly said, They are absolutely no bedbugs here never have been, unless of course you brought them with you. Which I sincerely doubt. WHAT would you like me to do.

Long story short I had to get a new mattress and box spring in the same day And to get that one out. It was a mini nightmare. Also,. I could not provide the same quality that had been there already. (My misfortune)

Two days later they’re calling me and telling me there’s mold underneath the kitchen sink and it’s probably been there a long time yada yada. Also not true
Stuff like this went on for several days These are the two worst words. in Airbnb reviews. bedbugs and mold.  I really didn’t know what to think with this couple. Phonies?

They calmed down after constant ass-kissing on my part and turned into decent guests the rest of their stay.
Cordial, with many text messages thanking me and being gracious.

I haven’t seen their review yet of course. And, I can just see them blasting me about things over which I have no control like the teentsy ghost ants( We exterminated. )But I put it in my review just In case.

.Now I have to review them. Of course I have ambivalent feelings but I also don’t want the next host to NOT be somewhat warned so what do you think about this.???

Or should I just leave it all out and say something vague .. And move on.You can imagine how much I really want to say and I did leave it out

This would be their only review on Airbnb

“Charles And Michelle & Chihuahua ,Leo (Well mannered and quiet ),Stayed with me six weeks during -not -the -best weather time in Sarasota Florida. additionally our entire area and the time of year, is prone to teentsy ants . However they managed to deal With those challenges with Pragmatic cheerfulness.

Communication was quick And detailed, from day one Of contact.

I am assuming that this couple Has lots of experience with five star hotels, and zero experience with Airbnb

so Perhaps this is the explanation for our rocky start.

Despite that, they did get the hang of it after a bit And resulted in becoming lovely guests.Sending me numerous pleasant texts Thanking me

My neighbors also liked them a lot .”

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Amy2098  An "ambivalent" review is a pointless review. Reviews should be factual and give hard information other hosts would want to know. Reviews should not be based on your feelings about a guest, but what actually happened.

As you describe it, these guests were not confused about a hotel stay vs an Airbnb stay. Since when do people check into a hotel and demand a new mattress? To arrive and claim there are bedbugs because he wanted a brand new mattress means he has no qualms about lying to get what he wants. That is not okay, no matter how nice they were once they got what they wanted. Other hosts need to be made aware of this behavior.

Unless your mattress was old and needed replacing anyway, I can't imagine why you kowtowed to his scamming demand. What you did was teach him that this was behavior that he can pull again on another host.

They're being nice now because they got what they wanted and want you to leave a nice review. They're connivers and you are falling for it.

I would have told these guests to pack up their stuff and leave, and refunded them the instant they came up with the bedbug lie.

Hi there.
It did occur to me but being out of work since the very beginning of 2020, I couldn’t afford to lose $5000.. This is my only Airbnb now, and I would not have been able to replace them out of season.Lastly, this Airbnb has two prior reviews.And a negative one presented a scenario I did not want. However, I basically agree with you

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Amy2098  You know, they know, and everyone else knows that if they really believed there were bedbugs they would have left ASAP, changing a mattress wouldn't 'fix' the problem if it had existed.  Bed bugs would still be in the unit.

So, you allowed them to scam you.  You also as far as I can tell have no idea whether they will demand a refund from Airbnb or leave a scathing review or not.

I wouldn't go into any details in your review.  I would say that based on your experience they are not a good fit for a long term self catering property and that you would not host them again. 

I like your thinking. In fact I’m copying your verbiage. Thank you

Katya7
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Btw I am the author of this post./ inquiry Thank you for your comments

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Katya7 

As a host I would like to know about the phony bedbug scam. If I knew I would NEVER rent to them.

On the other hand I understand that no one wants to use that B-B word in connection with their property.

Perhaps you could say something like, “Shortly after checkin guests made an unsubstantiated claim regarding the mattress. They did not find it egregious enough to cancel their stay, but in order to forestall serious problems I was coerced into purchasing an unneeded new mattress and box springs set.

I cannot recommend these guests to other hosts.”