Advice

Louise367
Level 2
Denver, CO

Advice

While staying in our home, a local, engaged couple (under age 25) had a domestic dispute on our front porch. The young lady, who was our registered guest, called her father to pick her up. When he arrived, the father was willing to take his daughter but not the fiancé. We said the fiancé could not stay, since he had  not booked the room nor had he been vetted by airbnb.  At this point, he was angry and we felt it might be unsafe to allow him to stay without her.  We told the couple that this was "our arrangement with Airbnb", which he disputed.  (They ended up both staying, and they gave us a VERY LOW review/rating).

Would Airbnb have stood behind our decision to not allow the fiancé (with whom we did not book, and was "unvetted") to stay here without the young lady with whom we booked?  

Louise

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Louise367 

If the guy would have stayed while the girl is not there,  the girl still would have been responsible for the booking. But if the guy does not own an Airbnb account (and as so listed on the reservation), i think Airbnb will stand behind you. You at least can try to dispute the review !

@Louise367  If the guest booked the room for 2 people, both of them would technically be considered your registered guests. However, when an incident occurs during the stay that makes you feel unsafe, such as a fight, you do have the right to terminate the booking and refund the guests for the unused nights. 

I'm not aware of an official policy on this, but if you deny access to one of your registered guests, your rental contract is basically void. Had the woman chosen to leave with her dad, I think your choices would have been to either let the man stay or cancel the booking entirely.