Advise needed: Lately guests requesting to bring kids even though our listing says "not suitable for infants or children"

Sophie560
Level 3
Lubbock, TX

Advise needed: Lately guests requesting to bring kids even though our listing says "not suitable for infants or children"

Hello fellow Hosts.  I'm seeking advice and suggestions on how to respond to guests, that have lately been requesting to bring their children, even though our house rules and amenities clearly state that our place isn't "suitable for infants and children."  I've also had a bunch of guests that mark "3 Adult guests"," only later to find out it is really 2 Adults and 1 child, after asking them to tell me a little about themselves and their guests so that I can ensure the Cottage is the right fit.  Normally, these tend to be 'New" users of Airbnb, with no reviews and they've just joined in the current month.

I've noticed this trend tends to happen more often around popular holidays and during the summer when little league softball games are going on.

Have you experienced this?  How do I politely point out to these new Airbnb guests, that we're not suitable/set up/safe for children (yes, I have marked our amenities to indicate we're not suited for children)  and it violates our house rules (that clearly spelled this out) without pissing them off?  I've racked my brain, but have to confess, I'm stumped.

Does anyone have suggestions for diplomatically wording an answer?

Sincerely,

Sophie

13 Replies 13
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would include the information up front in your initial listing description. Something like 'please note our listing is not suitable for children because of XXX' .

@Sophie560 

I am also receiving many requests.  The good news is (I believe) that Airbnb does not allow Instant Bookings when children are noted in the request.  Yes? No?

@Helen3 Where would you suggest specifically placing this information in my initial description?

I submitted to Airbnb that the placement of the House Rules needs to be somewhere more obvious for guests.  To be fare, the House Rules are listed underneath the large map and host's information. I'm not sure where that would be, but it isn’t so conducive where it’s currently placed. Then, say perhaps you did not see our home is not conducive for infants/children. And point out where the House Rules are in the listing.  Then, say perhaps you didn't see them as the placement isn't so great. Finally, I have learned to then ask the guest to kindly withdraw their request as I learned the hard way when I decline and give the reason (as stated in my House Rules) my response rate declines.

Thank you for the responses.  They really do help.

New guests also do not know the age bracket Airbnb considers children-up to 12. Then, I've had guests book and say 3 adults when one is 13.  Small issue but that is why it is always good to ask exactly who is coming.

@Denise467 

I agree with asking guests questions.  It really does make a difference.  When they don’t respond to the questions—that’s a red flag for me!   I just had that happen today—the prospective guest was rather rude and nasty, in my opinion.  

@Helen3 

Thank you Helen, I’ve made a similar post in my description.  It certainly can’t hurt 😂!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sophie560 where people book, or ask to book, the two of our three  listings that are not suitable for children we just explain why and ask them to confirm they are happy with this. There is a huge difference between a 1 year old child and a 13+ year old child.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Thank you for taking time to make this suggestion! I learn something from everyone’s suggestions.   I have used this response or something similar, to variant degrees of success.  Yes, there are differences in a 13 year old and a 1 year old. Both can be delightful if well supervised and respectful (as in the 5 to 13 year old).

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sophie560 

I'm afraid that sometimes you just have to p*ss them off. If guests insist on ignoring what is stated in your listing and refuse to accept it when you reiterate that the listing is not suitable then you just have to politely say, sorry, no, there are no exceptions.

I used to get a lot of these, so had to put on my listing "I do not accept under 18s UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES." Still, some guests would insist that I should make an exception for their child/children. It's probably not relevant if you have an entire listing, but the point that seemed to make them go away (amazing how many parents seem unconcerned about safety issues) is that I have other guests who have booked on the understanding that there will not be children staying at the listing.

@Huma0 

😂. Sometimes, you’re right.  And I agree it’s amazing how many parents seem unconcerned about safety issues!  But we have to be concerned as hosts and owners!

That’s my opinion.  So, I have to turn some people down, and they get upset.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sophie560  No need really to concern yourself with being polite and not pissing them off. Just be factual- it appears that they didn't read your listing information and house rules which state that your place isn't suitable for children.

@Sarah977

You are correct—often it’s quite obvious they haven’t read my description or house rules!  And that’s a red flag 🚩 to me.  If they don’t take the time to read these 2 things; why should I believe they’re going to follow the rest of my house rules?  

I can only speak for myself, but we’ve put a lot of time, money and effort into making the Cottage special, to turn it over to someone who doesn’t take the time to really read the description and house rules. I question if they are really going to respect my place?  Are they going to supervise their children and respect the breakable family heirlooms?   

As I said, it’s normal “New” members; that are just looking for a place to sleep.  And that’s not all what I’m trying to provide.  Please excuse my rambling.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Sophie560   You may want to change the beds.  I have found that if you advertise that you have single beds, you will attract people with children.   I got far fewer guests with children wanting to book my property when I removed the twin beds.  

@Lorna170 

What a novel idea!   I’ll give that a try.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Sophie560 , I used to get this a lot. A no would only lead to aggression. So my answer is "my insurance only covers guests from 12 and up". Insert whatever age you prefer. It works 95%, 5% still quibble.