After four years, I'm allowing dogs into my rental. Does anybody have any tips for house rules for dogs and their human companions?

Answered!
Lauren2796
Level 2
Bar Harbor, ME

After four years, I'm allowing dogs into my rental. Does anybody have any tips for house rules for dogs and their human companions?

I'm also wondering if any dog-friendly hosts offer "extras" like mats, treats, bowls, leashes?

1 Best Answer

@Lauren2796   What I recommend is creating a separate listing on a different platform which, unlike Airbnb, offers an actual deposit and/or covers damage caused by pets. And perhaps using third-party software to synch your calendars to avoid double-booking.

Airbnb does not have features supporting pet-friendly hosts, so if you choose to go this route you can expect to be completely on your own if something goes wrong. But if you're unfazed by this, bowls and mats are welcome. Soft surfaces such as pet beds are not recommended since they're obvious targets for territory marking; pet owners bring their own leashes, and treats are best considered on a case-by-case basis after you get a feel for the fragility of the owners.

View Best Answer in original post

26 Replies 26
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Dog towels, @Lauren2796 . Old towels that can be used for wiping paws. It saves the good towels from becoming dog towels. 🙂

@Lawrene0 great idea! Thank you!

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Lauren2796  We have recently decided to allow pets too but in the house rules, we ask the guests to bring a crate or cage for their pets. Pets cannot be left in the apartment alone. We do not supply any extras because of all the different types, sizes and needs of animals it makes it difficult.

We are doing a renovation on the property to add a swimming pool and we are near a beach. To save all the sand from ending up in the apartment we are building an outdoor human/ dog shower combo and will supply separate towels for dogs.

I also would love to hear from hosts any of their great ideas.

Jorge

@Angelica-Y-Jorge0 great ideas! Thank you!

@Lauren2796   What I recommend is creating a separate listing on a different platform which, unlike Airbnb, offers an actual deposit and/or covers damage caused by pets. And perhaps using third-party software to synch your calendars to avoid double-booking.

Airbnb does not have features supporting pet-friendly hosts, so if you choose to go this route you can expect to be completely on your own if something goes wrong. But if you're unfazed by this, bowls and mats are welcome. Soft surfaces such as pet beds are not recommended since they're obvious targets for territory marking; pet owners bring their own leashes, and treats are best considered on a case-by-case basis after you get a feel for the fragility of the owners.

@Anonymous Thank you so much for the feedback; great advice to think about!

OK...I may turn off "allows pets." I wish they could at least list the type of animal, sizes allowed, etc.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Lauren2796 

I provide dog water/food bowls, 2 and a mixed bag of dog treats. I don't advertise it, promise less deliver more.  Most guests are thrilled that a water bowl is out and filled for their pet(s) after a long drive.    I also have a spare leash and tie-rope that can be attached to the deck/railing so the dog(s) don't run off.  Just a thought, make sure that you have in your house rules that all pets must have up to date vaccinations.  I made the mistake of reaching out to a pet (1 of 3 that were staying).  Didn't know it was a rescue and got a really good nip from it.  It was worth the nip for the learning lesson and the 5 stars.  LOL. 

@M199 oh, I’m glad you mentioned shots! Thanks for the feedback!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lauren2796  I'm sure guests might feel that they got more than they bargained for if you left some dog treats. ( Don't mention it in your ad- let it be one of those unexpected perks that helps get good reviews).

Dog bowls would be thoughtful for guests who are flying, but most guests who travel with pets would be driving and bring their own.

Leash-no. Dog owners will have their own dog leash, and if they don't, you probably don't want them as guests.

@Sarah977 thank you so much! All great stuff!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lauren2796 we leave bowls, towels, blankets, a paw-washer, and most important, poop bags. Our property is also fully fenced.

As far as rules: don't use house linens for pets, no pets in hot tub (seriously), pick up poop before you go.

@Lisa723 Thank you so much! Great stuff to remember for house rules!

Thanks for the insight. I just started offering a hot tub and didn't consider a guest would put a dog in it. Yikes!