Age Discrimination and new Air BNB Policy

Julie286
Level 1
Mobile, AL

Age Discrimination and new Air BNB Policy

Today I received the e-mail regarding discrimination from AirBNB, stating that all hosts will have to agree to the following:

"We believe that no matter who you are, where you are from, or where you travel, you should be able to belong in the Airbnb community. By joining this community, you commit to treat all fellow members of this community, regardless of race, religion, national origin, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age, with respect, and without judgment or bias."

I have no problem with any of the items except for AGE, as we don't rent to guests under 25.   I read through all the report briefly and don't see where they address age further into the policy, so I'm wondering why it's in this overall "oath" that we are to sign this Fall in order to continue renting.  I am hoping someone at AirBNB will see this and reply.  Thanks!

51 Replies 51

You even saying you think they will drink underage is illegal discrimination.

We just had our first guest who turned out to be 18 and told us he was planning a "graduation dinner" presumably with family. Turned out is was an after-prom party with no chaperones with we didn't discover until the neighbors started texting us. Limos, party busses and 30+ cars lining our residential street! I looked up the age thing and found this statement from AirBnB:

What gets shared with your host

If you’re asked for a government ID, the following may be shared with your host:

• The first name on your ID
  • Whether you’re over or under 25 years old
  • Whether your ID has been successfully added
  • Your profile photo and profile name

Apparently they "may share" that a guest is under 18, but are not obligated to? We sure will learn to vet our guests better in the future! This is our home and we deserve to know how it will be used.

Bob64
Level 3
Ocean City, NJ

Our Condo Association forbids renting to anyone under the age of 25.  It stands to reason that renting in a vacation/seashore community to a group of high schoolers fresh from the prom and/or graduation is asking for trouble and not a good idea.  If Airbnb is going to require us to rent to students, then it will not be worth the risk to remain listed on Airbnb.  Could we get some clarification, please? 

@Bob64

Read the terms. It clearly says if you have local rules or laws that prohibit you from renting out to a certain age you may decline the guest without it beeing a violation of their nondiscrimination meassure. 

Thank you for your reply, but perhaps you should read the terms. 

1. Airbnb’s Nondiscrimination Policy says nothing about "age" discrimination.

2. The FAQ's state:

"There are laws in my area about vacation rentals for people under 25. Am I allowed to post this restriction on my listing?

Yes, but please be clear that it is a legal requirement in your area and that you are complying with local law."

My issue relates to 1. COA By-Laws (not community laws) that prohibit renting to those under 25, and 2. Common sense - Renting an apartment to be filled with unsupervised minors is dangerous, stupid, and asking for all kinds of trouble.  I will not allow Airbnb to force me to do something that is obviously wrong.  Their "Community Commitment" in the case of "age" is too vague and poorly conceived and as I originally stated is in desperate need of clarification. 

""We believe that no matter who you are, where you are from, or where you travel, you should be able to belong in the Airbnb community. By joining this community, you commit to treat all fellow members of this community, regardless of race, religion, national origin, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age, with respect, and without judgment or bias."

Say what? @Bob64 ?

You assuming these things is discrimination, it is no different than saying a certain race would do those same things. I am 19 and I travel for a comapny I OWN. I am sick and tired of places discriminating based in age. You have insurance if something goes wrong, and they'll be banned. 

I completely agree. I myself have faced my fair share of age discrimination on airbnb because of things like this and its really unfortunate that a small group of young adults are making a bad name for the rest of us!

Whos to say that a person who is 25 wont rent a property and throw a party? age has nothing to do with recklessness and irresponsibility. If you are a host and you have house rules then take proper measure to make sure that your house rules are being followed and if they arent, carry out consequneces. Dont rent to these guest again or ask your neighbours to check up on your house while youre away. The act of renting your house to complete strangers (whether or not you've had one conversation with them online) is already a huge risk! 

What about the "Students" like myself who sometimes use airbnb to find accomadations for older immigrant family memebers who dont speak english very well and are not familiar with the internet? The amount of hosts ive had deny me or cancel my booking the day after accepting it based on my age alone is disgusting. 

It's not that simple.  I had some frat boys flood my condo, left the property without telling anyone - several $1000's damage and of course ruined the vacation for family arriving the day these guys were supposed to leave.  Insurance?  No, it doesn't work that way.  I'm sure you are responsible, but many aren't and it ruins it for all.  "Life isn't always fair."  

Thank you. Even as someone over 25 I’ve experienced discrimination on this platform. Making assumptions based on demographics is always discrimination. What are hosts worried will happen? Destruction of property should be insured against either with insurance (duh) or large deposits.

Jane193
Level 1
Denver, CO

We have been renting our mountain home in a ski town since 2007.  After 1 year, we found we needed to add a 25+ age restriction.  If we cannot carry out the 25+ age restriction policy at Air BNB I do not feel we will be able to remain at Air BNB.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As an earlier poster has already mentioned  @Jane193 BNB clearly says that any local restrictions or building restrictions re age etc will superceed their policy....please read 🙂

Peggy-And-Mike0
Level 10
Georgia, United States

AirBnB says this on the page regarding verification.  I can't find the full name and over/under 25 years old for my reservation and wonder how you activate this or if it's null and void now and they haven't updated the site? 

1. What gets shared with your host

If you’re a guest and you’re asked to provide ID, your host will see:

• Your profile name and photo.
  • Whether you’ve successfully completed this process.
  • The full name on your government ID and whether you’re over or under 25 years old.
Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

I am currently hosting a guest who was identified as "under 25" in the booking request. I am used to "over 25" appearing but this is a first after 4 years of hosting. He is great but I contacted Airbnb to ask them what their policy was with regard to under age bookings.

This was their response:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is regarding your inquiry about any specific rules that Airbnb have that will not allow people ages under 25. I am sorry but we do not have any Rules that correspond to your request. The Airbnb community is committed to building the world where people from every background feel welcome and respected, no matter how far they have traveled from home. This commitment rests on two foundational principles that apply both to Airbnb’s hosts and guests: inclusion and respect.

In reference to Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy, Airbnb hosts may not impose any different terms or conditions or decline a reservation based on the guest’s age or familial status, where prohibited by law.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed on the chat forum that hosts are mentioning under 18 but it would appear that Airbnb has no rule. I have emailed back saying that I want a more precise answer and that I want it passed along to management if the help desk can't give me an answer. Surely there is a policy? What is to stop someone 15 renting if they have no specific guidelines. You can't tell from their profile picture (if they actually post a face) and although Airbnb are able to check a guest's age from their government ID, they don't pass this along to hosts. There must be liability issues with under age guests. You can't rent a car here under 25 and you can't drink or buy cigarettes under 19 so sure Airbnbmust have some rules with regard to minimum age.

The minimum age for booking via Airbnb is 18.

One must not discriminate but all user will be 18 or more.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/nondiscrimination_policy

As a new user or guest:

Airbnb requires you to accept terms that you are 18 or over to create a profile and book via Airbnb. 

What seems to be the problem @Rosemary12?