Aghhh Why is it so hard to help Ukrainian refugees find housing in Alberta, CA?! Airbnb.org is a mess

Taras22
Level 2
Santa Ana, CA

Aghhh Why is it so hard to help Ukrainian refugees find housing in Alberta, CA?! Airbnb.org is a mess

My wife and I helped helped buy plane tickets for a Ukrainian refugee family to Edmonton.  UCSS program couldn't help them find a place to stay, so I decided to look to Airbnb.org on their behalf.. But they're not sure where to go, how to log in, to see a what is available.  I called support and the guy on tech support for airbnb told me that airbnb.ORG doesn't exist, and that it is a scam site!   What is going on here? If anyone who knows anything can help us out here, I'd be forever grateful.   

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Taras22 

Airbnb.org is not a scam website and the guy at Airbnb CS telling you this nonsense should be fired right away !

But stays via Airbnb.org can only be booked by selected partners (organisations dealing with refugees etc..).  Individuals can not book via Airbnb.org.

As a host you can offer your AIrbnb accommodation also on Airbn.org with a few mouseclicks.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 

I'm also not sure what resources airbnb.org has in terms of managing this. I signed up several weeks ago but only got an email yesterday thanking me and telling me how it works. I've not been contacted yet about any refugees, but my rooms are fully booked at the moment, so I can't comment on that.

@Taras22 

Perhaps you could try to find out who the partners that @Emiel1 mentioned are and contact any that operate in your area to see if they can help.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Sybe 

Maybe the Airbnb management should be informed about the fact Airbnb CS seems to consider Airbnb.org as a scam website ?

Emiel1
Level 10

@Taras22cc: @Huma0 

I looked up the partbers of Airbnb.org, they are mentioned on the site:

HIAS (www.hias.org)  and  IOM (www.iom.int)

Individuals also can apply / book, it is explained here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2591/how-to-book-an-emergency-stay-through-airbnborg

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hey everyone, apologies for jumping in on this quite late but @Emiel1 thank you so much for stepping in and finding the partners.

Airbnb.org is essentially the website where you can register your listing (or create a new listing) solely for the purpose of hosting refugees, but it's not the place to also book the stays. This is all done in cooperation with the partners (HIAS and IOM). I don't think there's currently the option to apply directly through Airbnb.org, though if there is there'll be an article in Airbnb's Press Room like the article Emiel1 shared suggests.

I've flagged what the CS rep informed you with the Airbnb.org team, and thanks for tagging me here! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen