Air BnB not responding to multiple attempts to cancel trips

Eden82
Level 1
NY, NY

Air BnB not responding to multiple attempts to cancel trips

I am a longtime guest and host.  I have 2 trips coming up to Southern California and Paris in April.  Both for work and also was bringing my daughter to tour colleges in SoCal and I always preferred staying in Air BnBs instead of hotels when traveling with my family.

My work trips were cancelled because of the outbreakand the colleges cancelled all the tours because of covid concerns.  Borders are now closed to Europe so not sure how trip to France is happening.  I’m trying to get both Air BnB reservations cancelled however I have called many many many times only to wait hours then get disconnected.  I have messaged them several times.  My California host agreed to give me a full refund but Air BnB is still charging their high fees.  My Paris trip I can’t even access anyone at Air BnB.  In the meantime whatever hotel or airline travel I had in my March - May trips I cancelled with no issues, waived all fees. 

is anyone else having these issues getting ahold of anyone either phone or message?  I’ve been a huge AirBnB fan but their response to this health crisis (or lack there of) is making me see the merits of staying in hotels.  It’s not like we have enough to worry about with schools closing!  Air NnB if you are reading this please pick up your phones or rely to messages or call your guests and hosts back!!  (Btw currently on hold with them again as it’s my morning routine to call them - over 1 hour and then disconnected)

5 Replies 5
Donald194
Level 6
Onich, United Kingdom

Yes, they are virtually uncontactable.  The way hosts are being treated by AirBnB defies reason.  Who will continue to work with an organisation which treats its partners like this?  Booking.com, Expedia, HomeAway and all the others treat their hosts with respect.

Guess you should of bought a cancellation policy for your trip

Mary312
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

I'm not sure if everybody knows this on Brian chesky's Twitter page several people are sending screenshots showing this to be true, airbnb is giving full refunds but they are keeping the booking fees and giving out travel credit so they are still making money but not us.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

yes @Eden82 I have the same experience. I offered all my future guests a mutual cancellation and advised them to contact Airbnb to initialize it so they can be refunded in full including ABB guest fee. They've told me they did and wait for Airbnb response. This was 4 days ago and still nothing, Airbnb doesn't respond.

I am having huge issues with cancelling reservations! I have sold my property and cannot get them to cancel future reservations! This is very upsetting! My guests are frantic trying to their money back, and if I cancel Airbnb is charging me 50$ each reservation, and I have about 20! I was told months ago from Airbnb if my property sold there would not be a problem cancelling!! And to try and get a hold of someone, is a joke! A minimum wait of 1 hour, only to be told, again, that it has been sent to review!! This is ridiculous! My place closes in 2 weeks!