Air Con problem

Josh2
Level 1
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Air Con problem

Hi Guys,

Hopefully one of you can shed some light on a situation for me. I have recently started hosting and whilst my 2nd ever guest is staying they have messaged me stating there is a problem with one of the aircon units (blowing air but not cooling it). 

My apartment is pretty small and there is a working air con unit in the bedroom but in the rest of the apartment (open plan) there is just the non-working unit. I've been in touch with my building management but they may not be able to come and fix it until after Christmas now.

So basically my question is, what do I do? I want to be a responsible host but I am out of the country and my hands are tied by building management, should I offer a partial refund?

With the size of the apartment having the bedroom air con unit on should be enough to cool the whole apartment.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Josh

5 Replies 5
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Josh2,

First, this is just my opinion so take it or leave it.  I would definately offer a partial refund to the guest especially since they have brought it up as a concern to you.  The guests could cancel due to the issue and Airbnb would probably offer them a full refund if they did cancel since it is a listed ammenity and is a mechanical issue that cannot be fixed in an acceptable timeframe.  I think it is best to offer a "partial reimbursement" but the amount is really up to you.  Put yourself in the guest's shoes and decide how much you would appreciate receiving if this was something happening to you during your vacation.

If you need to know how to do this, check out my "How To Guide for Using the Resolution Center".    

Happy Hosting @Josh2 and update us on how you proceeded.

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Josh2
Level 1
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0,

Thank you for your advice, I believe this is what I will do. The problem has occured on the 6th day of their 11 night stay, what percentage of refund do you believe would be fair?

Thanks,

Josh

Hi @Josh2

Since they are staying 11 nights, I think one night reimbursement would be a good start and see if they are happy with that.  I would send them a message first.  For example: "I sincerely apologize that the AC unit stopped working during your stay.  I have contacted building maintenance but unfortunately the unit may not be fixed in a timely manner due to the holidays.  Please accept my apologies and I would like to offer you reimbursement of $100 for any troubles this unforseen issue may have caused."

Hope this helps @Josh2.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Yes, I think you should offer a partial refund and I would put it at a maximum of 30%.

I agree with Dave & Deb, that sounds fair.