Air cover - is it worth trying to claim?

Anna170
Level 2
Winchester, United Kingdom

Air cover - is it worth trying to claim?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had tried making a claim through air cover and if it is worth the hassle?

We recently had our first ‘bad’ guest who damaged several items and caused us extra cleaning costs, totalling about £800.

I contacted Airbnb telling them I’d be making a claim and asked them how long I had to submit it. They said 60 days, nothing about contacting the guest within 14 days. So I submitted the claim after the 14 days, the guest is denying causing any damage which means I have to take it to Airbnb where it now says I had to have contacted the guest within 14 days.

So my question is am I fighting a losing battle or should I stick with it??

Any experience of using Air Cover from a host’s point of you would be health received.
Thank you.

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anna170 If you don't meet their criteria for claiming then you have no chance I am afraid. Now if Airbnb misled you (and very importantly you can prove it) then you might have a slim chance of success.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Anna170 You should familiarize yourself first hand with the terms of the Host Guarantee, aka Air Cover. Everything you need to know is clearly spelled out there. Never rely on getting info from Airbnb. The reps are notorious for doling out misinformation. 

PageAndTreacy0
Level 1
Scottsdale, AZ

Airbnb has been excruciatingly underwhelming in their support of hosts, especially in this area. VRBO has an easy process and pays out nearly next day for unexpected damage - which can and does happen. I rarely file a claim, but for smoking or unauthorized pet damage, I do.  I have been a host for more than 6 years and before that I managed hotels. I love the hosting part, but dealing with damage is not on Airbnb’s plate, no matter what they say to attract new hosts. And their support is terrible. Even for guests. 

This is NOT worth all the hassle. They make you jump through hoops just to submit even the smallest of claims.. They then make you wait weeks or months to get your money if even then.. This is the biggest bunch of crap I've ever seen posed as something that is supposed to be helpful to the owners when a renter damages things.  I think they make it purposefully this way to discourage claims..  The other premiere B&B has my money within 2 days.. BIG difference.  IMO this AirCover thing is a huge waste of your time.