Air fresheners?

Josh1450
Level 2
Mascoutah, IL

Air fresheners?

Hi all,

I've been using plug-in air fresheners in my Airbnb for a few months.  They don't last very long, so I thought I'd get your advice on what might last longer.

However, after a quick search, I see that some of you don't recommend them at all, and I saw one of you would refuse to stay in a place that had them.

My airbnb doesn't smell bad at all, and although I allow pets, I have LVP floors so there is never any dog odor.  I just wanted it to have a little extra something pleasant for guests to enjoy, but perhaps no scent at all is better than something that some would not like.
What say ye? 

Thanks for your input.

11 Replies 11

@Josh1450  Taste in fragrances is very subjective - there's no one scent that is universally enjoyed by everyone. I, for one, hate the smell of air fresheners. Some people I know have bad reactions to the chemicals they contain, which can be anything from mildly irritant to neurotoxic.  See also: https://www.madesafe.org/toxic-chemicals-in-air-fresheners/

I would suggest leaving a nice bottle of essential oil spray in the bathroom, so guests can discreetly decide for themselves whether to use it. I'd steer clear of the plug-ins or anything that lingers in the air.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Josh1450 @Anonymous 

We've discovered an effective treatment for the "smell of life" as I like to refer to it.

Any place where someone lives, cooks, eats, showers, sleeps, and all other of life's essentials will acquire lingering scents. The "smell of life".

Using scents to cover up other scents doesn't really eliminate the "smell of life". So a friend of ours loaned us an "ozonator". It's an electronic device that produces ozone, a naturally occurring gas that absorbs odours and humidity as well. Large amounts of ozone are produced during thunderstorms, for example, and is in part, the reason why things smell fresh after a thunderstorm. So we tried it. 

Wow! It works. You have to remove all pets and yourself from the room being treated. Small rooms need only about 1/2 hour. Larger rooms need up to 2 hours. But after it's done, the air (and upholstery, bedding, etc) smells very fresh and clean. It virtually eliminates the "smell of life". It's surprisingly good. It also kills mold and mildew. And repels insects. 

Highly recommended. 

s-l400.jpg

@Elaine701 I also have a small ozone machine that we used after we removed the fireplace as an amenity, to rid the odor of smoke from the house. They do work incredibly well. Bit of a hassle to use imo, so not great for everyday use. I find opening windows does the trick for that. Windows are opened for 15 minutes minimum at turnovers. Even if it’s minus a million outside. Out with bad, in with the good. 

@Josh1450 I would say get rid of those toxic plug ins, for the reasons mentioned, especially if your place doesn’t typically struggle with odors. If you opt to keep them or replace with something similar, make sure you note their presence in your description or ‘things to note.’ If you haven’t had a guest who’s had a problem with them up to now, at some point you will. That may hit you where it hurts in the review. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Colleen253 

I've just started using it, and the results have been surprising. But I wouldn't have need for "every day use", since we'd only use it between guests. Yes, opening the windows works to a certain extent. This seems to work better though. Particularly if the weather is unusually cold, and opening the windows means reheating the place. And fresh air alone doesn't always remove it from the upholstery. This seems to do that. 

First impressions are lasting. Guests, of course, will always leave a "smell of life" It's just for the next guests' impression. 

@Elaine701 I meant more like ordinary use, not literally every day. By the way, I love your phrase 'smell of life' 😂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Josh1450  A little something extra pleasant for guests to enjoy? If I arrived somewhere to find "air fresheners" ( i.e. toxic chemicals), I would turn right around, cancel and leave. An Airbnb should smell neutral. What smells nice to you may smell disgusting to others. 

And it will make guests wonder what you are trying to cover up the smell of.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Josh1450   No to the plug-ins.  No to highly scented cleaning products too.  

We recently stayed in a condo that was managed by a company -- there were plug-ins everywhere, not all the same scent, and all overwhelming.  The smell was worsened by the air conditioning re-circulating the scent.  Turned off the air, opened every window -- rewashed the bed linens, towels and cleaned the bathrooms, removing the throw rugs which had been sprinkled with something.   Not a pleasant start to our week long stay.  

When I contacted the management company, they did not know which cleaning service had done the prep or what products they were using.   

Neither I or my spouse are "bothered" by scents or aromas, but when renting a house, condo or even a hotel room, NO SCENT is preferred.  

Andrea4731
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

No to plug in air fresheners! The house should smell clean due to the fact that it is clean & no other smell should be necessary. Open windows to air out the space between guests & just use normal scented cleaning products. 

Yes no plug in s please! They're toxic, and for those with sensitivities it can make them feel very sick. Thank you for considering not using them!

If you look up studies on air-fresheners you'll see that they're incredibly toxic to:

1. The nervous system
  2. heart
  3. reproductive health
  4. endocrinological health (they are hormone disruptors)
  5. carcenogenic

Many studies find smoking inside to be significantly better for the air quality than using air-fresheners.

Many people get migraines or headaches from these toxic chemicals, and children and animals can be even more harmed. 

Since these products are, unfortunately, not regulated by most governments, many people are unaware of their toxicity. 

One study done in the US showed that 60% of people is unaware of the toxicity of air-fresheners. That means that there's a significant percentage that can be assumed to be educated about them, and most people who know the facts, would not sleep in a place with such toxic aiir quality.
Sarah5582
Level 2
Davis, CA

Please do not use any air fresheners especially the plug in kind. Many people have chemical sensitivities and these products are toxic and can trigger migraines and other reactions. And even if people don’t have chemical sensitivities they may hate the fragrance that you love. There is no need for them. If your house has a smell that needs to be covered up often people don’t react to essential oils which are natural products, but they are more expensive. Thank you!