AirBNB cancelled booking as it appeared illegitimate.

Kayleigh28
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

AirBNB cancelled booking as it appeared illegitimate.

I booked a place that seemed super legit and didn't seem too good to be true.

I got an email today from Airbnb saying my trip has been cancelled because as the reservation doesn't appear to be legitimate. I can no longer view the listing or view the hosts profile. 

Is this because Airbnb has blocked them? Is it likely that it really was a scam or along, or could there be a mistake?

4 Replies 4

@Kayleigh28  It does sound like the host was blocked and de-listed. When Airbnb takes action against a user's account, it's generally their policy not to disclose the reasons. It's possible that the listing was a scam (especially if it was unreviewed), but there are many other possible causes. 

If the host contacts you in some other way, be wary of any attempt to get your money or personal info. If your refund has come through, I'd recommend booking with an established host with a solid review history and no cancellations. 

Jessica2159
Level 2
New York, United States

Yes, this just happened to me, but I am the host and was notified that a reservation was deemed illegitimate.  I had a normal exchange with this guest, it was not a bot.  Strange.

Jessi Prahl

@Jessica2159  The possibilities are that the guest's payment fell through, there was a report of them trashing another host's home, carrying on illegal activities at a prior Airbnb, or their ID verification was found to be fake, etc. 

Although there are occasional glitches, if Airbnb unilaterally cancels a booking, there is probably a good reason for it. It's one of the few ways that they protect hosts, and it's a good thing.

Thanks, Sarah!

Jessi Prahl