AirBNB is like an 'overbearing mother'

Bridget254
Level 2
Glenwood Springs, CO

AirBNB is like an 'overbearing mother'

A couple of months ago I had a young woman who booked for 6 young women (for two nights). I woke up at 3AM the first night to see an extra 4 young men out front in the driveway. They were all intoxicated, the young men were taking turns throwing punches at each other, urinating right where they stood in the driveway and we observed at least one of the young men had a gun in their pocket...they dropped their trash and liquor bottles in the driveway as well.  We sent them a text indicating that a neighbor complained and was going to call the sheriff if they didn't settle down immediately. Though it took them a half hour, they finally quieted. 

In the morning, I addressed the woman who booked. I asked permission to enter and inspect the house as they obviously violated our agreement and I wanted to ensure the home was undamaged. The woman consented. (BTW, under such circumstances, I don't believe I require consent to enter, but I secured it regardless. My husband remained outside, but in view.) The woman said the young men were not invited and that she told them to leave that morning, and they did. So I allowed her and the other 5 women to remain the 2nd night of their 2-night booking. 

This group went through a ridiculous amount of towels (about twice as many at least as you would expect~ruined some of them), trashed my freshly restored hot tub (that should have been good for another couple of weeks), left throw up in a bedroom closet....etc. It took twice the time to restore the home to my SuperHost standards.

The gal who completely violated our contract, the AIRBNB policies, my peace of mind and my guest home complained before I had a chance to reach out for help to AirBNB so AIRBNB PULLED MY LISTING DOWN AND KEPT IT HIDDEN FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK!!! Without even contacting me and notifying me, they pulled a SUPERHOST listing based on this woman's slander. They shut me down just like that. I spent countless hours defending myself and AIRBNB did the very least they could do to support me. First I was violated by this guest, then victimized by AirBNB's failed and slow inept support. I have yet to receive any compensation and I should've manually taken that deposit. Instead I asked for help and was failed miserably. My listing got pulled and it took over a week to restore it!!

As I have my own crew trained in to work with me, AirBNB did not accept an invoice from me for the extra cleaning, after the inept support man said to compose my own invoice and send it. The response was that it was not adequate and I received no guidance when I asked what else I must do to mitigate and correct the invoice. I sent 2 videos, one of the boys fighting (from my security camera that is aimed right out front) and one showing the trashed hot tub, and AirBNB did not accept any of my documentation in support of my request for the $250.00 deposit. 

The crew member assigned to assist me was worthless and available only during my sleeping hours~in some other country. The response time was slower than a herd of turtles surfing molasses in winter.

I gave up on AirBNB and made changes to increase my presence through competing vacation rental sites. I will soon add my listing to others and maybe even drop from AIRBNB as I improve my chances elsewhere~I don't actually need AIRBNB if they are going to devastate my business overnight.

My case was never resolved to any level of satisfaction and AIRBNB did absolutely nothing beyond ultimately throwing that woman out of the community. I know, based on my booking history, that because of AIRBNB's actions and lack thereof, they cost me real bookings, aka: real money lost due to being blocked for that week. 

Anyone else have this happen? My co-host and I call AIRBNB our 'Overbearing Mother'....

And btw folks, I have served in hospitality for a solid 4 decades and I have equals, but very few superiors. I am highly trained with vast experience (not bragging...I actually have a degree in General Hospitality Management and a long resume) and this was such a horrible representation of how to handle a bad situation. I have handled many inflammatory situations and have a strong record of calming most of them. This was truly an exceptional circumstance. We have a saying in hospitality that there are ALWAYS problems. There are always 'fires' to put out. The best in hospitality expect that and are ready. It is how we handle these 'fires' that distinguishes us as professionals. AirBNB has a loooong way to go and has failed me.

Bridget Ries, SuperHost in Glenwood Springs, CO

@catherinepowell

Bridget
6 Replies 6
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Well said @Bridget254. We all continue to wonder when things will actually begin to change for the better, as promised over and over and over. Yet we continue to see many posts similar in nature to yours on this forum.

Just tagging @Catherine-Powell correctly. 

Bridget254
Level 2
Glenwood Springs, CO

OMG! Did you see @Colleen253 how they automatically mark my post as "Resolved" because of your singular response?! This is ridiculous.

They need some serious digital savvy and intervention!!!

Bridget

@Bridget254. AFAIK only the OP can tag a response that way. You must have done it by mistake ;). This doesn't mean your post is archived or closed. Others can still see it and comment.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Colleen253 

The admins can put it also on "resolved', but i also think @Bridget254  did it herself by mistake.

But yes, we can still respond ! Good post, it is sad to read the level of Airbnb "support" has decreased to below zero.

There's not a 'delete' option to erase my misinformed comment...sooo....  Maybe someday....  Please disregard this comment....

Bridget
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Airbnb business model encourages bad guest like this who already have a plan to get out of any responsibility for damages or disruptive behavior, and host have to be willing to accept more risk and hope that occupancy rates are high enough to cover the damages, and when it becomes too disruptive host only option can cancel or phase out their listing for one that is more in line with responsible rental agreements. I hope there is more policy changes so help protect host but as it is now it appears that host who become victims are disposable and should should just move on to something else as there are an unlimited supply of new unsuspecting host.