AirBNBs in India?

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

AirBNBs in India?

It seems that one has to only turn around and find another story about scams against tourists in India, from mundane things like pick-pocketing, all the way up to people taken places by taxi drivers against their will, houseboat scams, and women afraid to leave the hotel due to the staff planning to assault them.  With all of that, what are people's experiences with AirBNBs in India?  Is it is a dangerous, scam ridden, corrupt enterprise or does it work for guests?

7 Replies 7
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

We have several Host Clubs in India https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Get-Local/ct-p/en_clubs#groups

and we have @Pooja30 as a HAB member. 

India is a wonderful country (I've stayed there with homesharing hosts many many years ago when Airbnb not yet existed) - great experiences, don't miss it.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Really?!? What on earth are you on about @Anthony608 

@Anthony608   This is a rather strange question, but before I even answer it - are you actually planning a trip to India, or just having a spasm of xenophobia?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anonymous If @Anthony608 was planning a trip to India I suspect he would be safer than the USA if you compare the homicide rates between the two countries.

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

I am sorry this post caused so much of a stir.  I read an article about houseboat and hotel scams in India and was wondering what the situation was like in India with AirBNBs.  It wasn't meant as a discriminatory post.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It certainly sounded discriminatory.

You are just as likely to get ripped off in the US . 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Anthony608,

I'm Nick, one of the Community Managers in the Community Center. This post goes against our Nondiscrimination Policy (www.airbnb.com/help/topic/533), which doesn't allow for discrimination based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, disability, gender or sex.

Every person is unique, after all, so it's important to keep an open mind.  I am closing this thread as it does not benefit the community, nor is it in line with our guidelines. 

Thank you all for your contributions.