AirBnB Is Trying To Screw Me Over! Need Help, Host Not Responding After Finding Rat Infestation.

Bobby193
Level 2
Dollard-Des Ormeaux, Canada

AirBnB Is Trying To Screw Me Over! Need Help, Host Not Responding After Finding Rat Infestation.

Hello,

I am currently in a very stressful situation and AirBnB seems to have the host's back and absolutely not mine the actual customer.

I rented a place for a month, and after I believe 4 or 5 days I saw a rat.  I immediately texted the host and he said he would call the exterminator.

So I decide to leave that place for a day until the exterminator came to put traps and poison, and I returned 2 days after.

Before returning I texted the host saying please let me know if the rat problem has been taking care of.

He responded these things take time and said if I want I could stay and he gives me an extra week or I leave and he refunds me.

I said ok i'll be there in the morning.

Then once I get there I find out that there is a big rat infestation, the room I rented was on the 2nd floor, and there is a rat and mice infestation coming from the first floor and they found alot of evidence of excrement of both rats and mice.

So I thought an infestation?  I immediately texted the host saying listen I cannot stay here anymore, and I also immediately reserved another airBnB extremely close by as I need to be in this specific area.

Now the host has not been responding, he is not responding to my messages via the airBnB app and direct cell phone text messages either, and his phone goes straight to voicemail.

So I contact airBnB support, they said it is the host's discretion to refund me.

They are saying this is due to me not having any hard evidence or photos of the rats.

But I read about rats, they carry multiple lethal diseases, why am I expected to put my life in danger during an infestation to wait around a rat infested house for a rat to come out and show itself?

Not only that the rat I saw ran from one end of the room to the other in seconds, it's probably to fast me to take a pic anyhow.

And it's not like I know when to have my phone's camera open ready to take pictures.

But since also I did not advise airbnb within 24 hours that of me seeing the rat they are saying it is now up to the host's discretion.

But the host texted me that he will issue a refund that's why I didn't contact them directly, so I was waiting for his reply.

What are my options?

Someone please help, the loss of money is too much for me to handle is way above my budget 😞

The other place I had to book is very nice yes and was the only thing available in the vicinity but is twice the price.

It is even possible that maybe the host said he would refund me thinking I would not contact airBnB and is using their policies to screw me over.

Please help!!

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Bobby193 

"they found alot of evidence of excrement of both rats and mice."

Who are "they" and why not taken pictures of it ?

I guess the host will not be happy finding a review about rats on his listing.

Options:

- Host changes reservation (using "change" option), shortening it to first date possibe AND adjust the price in the "pricefield" in a way you are only charged for the dates you actually stayed.

- Airbnb cancels the reservation after documents of infestation are provided and force refund from the host (making it a "travel issue" according "guest refund policy")

- You cancel (or shorten) the reservation, it will end, but no refund, due to "long term stay" policy.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh dear, what a bad situation to find yourself in, @Bobby193; I'm genuinely sorry to read this.

I reached out to Customer Support on your behalf to see if there is any movement from their side. I was advised to let you know your Support Ambassador is still working on the case.

I would suggest to please keep looking for any messages and do follow up with him.

I hope this helps. Nick 

We had a similar situation - too long a story to detail but the highlights are following:

Booked 6 nights, spent 2 nights, woke up and on the 36th hour of our stay found rats!

Immediately contacted "superhost" who apologized in writing and then in writing said 2 times that she'd refund us for the four nights so we could get a hotel - this thread is still in Airbnb and visible to Airbnb support team. 

Left property, booked 4 nights at hotel

"Superhost" then refused refund.

Airbnb offshore call center rep reviewed case and said that their "Guest Refund Policy" ONLY works if you report a problem within 24 hours of check in - NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!

Left a true review of the property, which was removed after 7 days. Property was re-listed with a bunch of fake reviews about 2 weeks later!

SCAM - BEWARE!

Oh and it should be noted that the property was also not as advertised. The listing says "entire home" however there is an illegal dwelling connected to the home with a door that is hidden behind a bookcase in the living room - yikes!