AirBnB Payout suddenly switched from 1 day to 7 days

David-Erik0
Level 6
Berlin, DE

AirBnB Payout suddenly switched from 1 day to 7 days

Hello,

it's almost 1 year that I'm using AirBnB with PayPal as payment method 'cause was the quickest one. So far, until the penultimate reservation, the AirBnB released the payout the day after the guest checkin. If the guest arrived in July 1, the payout was released the day after. 

Now is changed without explanation and the payout release is at 7 days, and in fact I didn't receive the money on my PayPal account, nor after the guest checkin nor when the guest left, and it's not a single case, 'cause the next coming reservation has a payout at 7 days again and so I aspect that if I should receive a new booking, payout would be again out of the blue, at 7 days. 

I've tried to get in contact with the customer support, but I didn't get so much, the agent seems was guessing and she said she would have working on to fix the problem. I've asked her to send me back an email so that I could have a short summary of the conversation, but, and it's not a surprise, she didn't send any email. So I've sent a message to them on my own, hopefully they will not close it without answer, like in the past they did for another thing. 

Since I do not rely so much on AirBnB support, is anyone else in the same situation who has been more lucky than me and got an answer? 

ty

19 Replies 19

@David-Erik0 I wonder if the change to 7 days is a "Paypal in Germany" thing.

My payout method is also Paypal, but mine is still 1 day after check-in. (We are in USA).

Does your Transaction History page also show that payouts are sent 7 days later?

Or is it just that the money is sent on day 1 but doesn't arrive until day 7?

https://www.airbnb.com/users/transaction_history

No no, I'm not talking about the day in which I receive the money on my PayPal account, I'm talking about the Payout, is stated at 7 days later, not anymore 1 days later, so is nothing about PayPal, but AirBnB and when they decide to release the money.

I've sent a message to AirBnB to ask explanations, they closed the case as solved without neither reply. Then I've found an email from AirBnB in my email account in which they are saying that the problem is because the guest made a modification, if is true, it's the first time that happen and also does not explain why the Payout switched to 7 days later, nor why this swtiched affected the next booking. 

The guest of this reservation had made a booking for July 6th, so I aspected to see the money release in July 7th but the Payout says July 13th...

The guest had booked for one person, but she wanted to come with her boyfriend, so in June 29th I've sent to her the modification request that she accepted the same day. This month is like the third, fourth time that I do this operation, and the payout was not affected. 

In July 10th I've a guest who booked in July 4th, she leave in July 13th and the payout says July 18th...

So i've replied also to the email I've received since I was in doubt about the explanation given, 'cause actually didn't explain why the second booking was affected, I'm still waiting for an answer.

In the main while AirBnB has again closed without answer my support request... those moments in which you would like to see a 5 rating system also for them.

@David-Erik0 thank you for the clarification.

That is very strange.

I wonder if there are other hosts out there from Germany who can tell us if their payout schedule has changed also?

So, after a:

One phone call dropped
One phone call with a non explanation for the second booking and a general explanation for the first one "it's so because the guest made a change on her booking and need to be charged"
One email with the same general explanation for the first booking and a non explanation for the second one
One message sent to the support and closed as solved without reply back neither
Another one message sent to the support and again closed as solved with reply

Finally they have decided I was worth an answer which is:

For the first booking, the Payout is stated at 7 days later because when in June 29th the guest was charged for the price of the second guest, AirBnB actually didn't charged the guest because, shortly, the guest didn't have money -_-" 
So the guests slept here two nights and AirBnB didn't inform me with automatic message to say "hello, just in case... we didn't find the money on the payment method linked by the guest"

For the second booking, still I can't get an answer to my question. While I simply insisting on:
"Why I have had more than 30 bookings in which the payout date state was always 24h later, and for this one is 7 days later?

support is insisting on: "That is the estimated date in which the money will arrive on your bank account, which in this case is paypal, which means that when the guest will checkin the date will automatically switch" 

so I ask "yes, I get you, but I'm asking you why +30 vs 1, where's the difference? AirBnB didn't send any communication that now the Payout date displayed would have been related to the estimated time to receive the money on the bank account, which, if is paypal will automatically switch the date to 24h after the checkin as soon as the guest checkin"

Could you make me a favour?

If you check you transaction history/incoming payout and pick a reservation, what do you see in payout? A release the day after the checkin of the guest, or a payout release after 7 days? Ty

@David-Erik0 I see a release the day after checkin. For every guest.

Thank you Matthew.

The story is still going on, I've asked to AirBnB what's the difference between this second one reservation and all the others, AirBnB answered with another question, completely evading the answer and asking me to provide a booking where the payment didn't arrive 24 hours after the checking time...

Which  exclude one of the above reservations, I can't provide, since the only two are right these ones. What I start to think is that also for the second reservation the guest didn't have money on the payment method, and now AirBnB instead of send the usual alert to us and give to the guest 24h of time to pay, they allow the checkin and move the grace period for the guest to 7 days. 

Obviously it's just a speculation, but AirBnB it's not helpful at all and instead of transmit trust is going in the opposite direction.

Also, there's the question about the two guests who slept here and so far has not paid. How AirBnB will take the money if they do not transfer credit on their debit card or on their bank account? no reassurance from support.

Yes there is a problem and they are saying since July 1st ....they're having a problem with software.

Most hosts  are not even receiving the email you customarily get 24 hours after check-in . (I don't think it's a seven-day thing) it's more of a glitch that they are experiencing !   I'm on my 8th day after a booking (payout $3100)  that checked in on July 1st and I haven't received anything. It's really hard to get on the correct thread with everyone experiencing the same problem but each group in a community. The reason is..... its hard to join due to the simple fact that they mask each conversation with keywords. I have called every day since the 2nd of July and am getting repeatedly hung up on after I ask to escalate to a supervisor

I think I have almost solved. After the my last message you can read above, since I was getting nothing I've decided to call the German support line. 

I never call them 'cause I do not speak German and I'm never sure if the agent will speak English or not, but since I'm leaving for vacation before receive the payout which is crumbs compared to yours, I've called and a support agent called Rebecca answered, which basically has been one billion times more professional, available and proactive of all ther previous colleagues. 

She confirmed me that when the guest added the second guest in June 29, there were no money on her account and because of a technical problem I didn't receive the alert email that usually occur. Beside this, such booking was also affected by a payout release at 7 days instead of the usual 24h for PayPal methods. 

Today the guest sent to me a message to confirm the rest of the payment.
Rebecca told me that this would have unlock the payout and so I would have received the payment without wait the end of the 7th day (July 13th) and so is happened, so this is solved. 

For the second booking (guest checkin tomorrow) she also confirmed in spite of what her colleagues said, that it's not normal a payout release date 7 days later, instead of the usual 24h for a PayPal payment method. 
She confirmed me however that this guest had the money and they payment was collected by AirBnB. 
She took over this case and escalate it to a colleague in IT, tomorrow she said she will let me know something. 

@David-Erik0 thank you for reporting what you found out from Rebecca.

So if I understand it correctly, Airbnb has *not* changed the payout day to 7 days after check-in. Rather, you had two unusual circumstances that caused just those 2 reservations to pay out late?

Exactly, the payout release is not working as intended. There's a technical problem that switch the payout from 24h after checkin to 7 days later.

However I've read a message now from support, saying that is not the same problem that Charles&Sue are facing and that she was going to ask IT for an update

who are you calling? I can't even find a number. I am beyond frustrated that I haven't recvd payouts and need it to pay my rent! (yikes). please share any info you have? thank you!

I've just called AirBnB.

Normally I use the function to receive a call back and since I'm in Germany they redirect me to the first available english speaker around the world, however that function is pretty bugged so I've just called the AirBnB German number. 

Here I've found a support agent that proactively decided to investigat the case and ask for more information to a colleague in IT department. 

The first booking was affected by a bug that didn't send out the warning email informing me that the guest didn't have enough money to be charged for the change she made (add second guest) and so from my dashboard everything looked full paid and ready for payout that didn't happen because AirBnB system was waiting for the guest money.

The second booking was affected by a display bug. It was showing a payout after 7 days, but it was just a display bug, the day after the checkint, payout was released. 

I've had then a third booking after the last two solved, and everything went fine. 

Still I didn't recieve my first payout, I put a wrong email address and change it to my correct paypal account I have contacted the Airbnb but still they are not responding to my inquiry it such really a bad experience for me because this is my first month hosting airbnb.