AirBnb holds my booking hostage, requires government ID and my Facebook/Google/LinkedIn contacts

Pavel36
Level 2
California, United States

AirBnb holds my booking hostage, requires government ID and my Facebook/Google/LinkedIn contacts

I have been using Airbnb as a guest for a few years already, received only good reviews, and never had a problem with booking before. Yesterday I sent the request to book the boat in California, the host accepted it today. However, in a few minutes after that Airbnb blocked my account and demanded to verify it with government ID. I tried to do it 5(five!) times! Every time after uploading my ID Airbnb was sending the message "Great! You’re all set. Thanks for helping us continue to make Airbnb a place where everyone can travel and host with confidence." But after that I was receiving an e-mail that I have to do it again. I have called the customer service 4 times, but the only thing they could say was to try again. During my last conversation with customer service I was told that I also have to link my gmail or LinkedIn accounts with my Airbnb account. When you link gmail account, Airbnb wants to "View your contacts", and for LinkedIn they want to "Use your 1st and 2nd degree connections' data". This is utterly unacceptable! There is no way I will give the access to the personal information of my friends and acquaintances who didn't give me permission to share their data with anybody else. It's a first time I see such a bizarre request from an online business.

Airbnb already charged my credit card, but my account is still locked, I have no access to messages or trip info. I received the following e-mail message from Airbnb: "Be sure to take care of this in the next 24 hours—otherwise, you won’t be able to use your Airbnb account and any upcoming trips or listings will be canceled (and we don’t want that to happen!)."  Apparently, Airbnb sees no problem in taking my money, can verify and charge my credit card account just fine - it's only when I don't provide enough of my private information for Airbnb to stockpile that "security" issues and "protecting the customers" come up.

14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Pavel0

I wasn't clear from your post. What was your question for the forum.

The bottom line is that if you want to use Airbnb you will need to verify your ID through your social media and some hosts also request photo ID.

I am registered with other listing companies who also require this.

If you don't want to do this, I guess the answer is to book with hosts directly or use a listing company who don't require this.

Pavel36
Level 2

Hi Helen! Thanks for answering. I guess my question was "What to do when the government ID verification process does not going through?" The problem is I can't contact the host directly, we exchanged few e-mails through Airbnb and he approved my booking. However, now I can't contact him since Airbnb restricted my account access.

What if you don’t have social media? I don’t have any. I don’t even use gmail i use i cloud. I am basically in hiding from my ex husband and I’m trying to book a stay. I added my debit card but I also added 2000.00 in usd to Airbnb gift cards. I tried to book for 3 hours before giving in and calling customer service. Which they started I’m blocked from booking but someone will call me back. I just booked a stay last week and had absolutely no issues. I left the place cleaner than when i got there. I’m about to pull my hair out. The price kept jumping up for that stay and i already have my family going there. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Pavel36  I can see your profile so it must be active.  I do see that there is no picture and you only have a couple of verifications.  Your last review was from 2015 and a lot has changed since then, so I can imagine it seems difficult to update your profile.  I recently sat with a person trying to establish a profile and experienced the frustration of trying to upload pictures and government ID.  I agree it is quite taxing but as a host, I am happy that Air BNB is trying to add some more verification.  All the messages you are receiving about your social media accounts can be ignored unless you want to use them for verification.  Just use other means of verification. 

As your profile stands now,  as a host, I would decline you as a guest even though you have some lovely reviews.   It is just my protocol.  Other hosts who operate more like a hotel may not have a problem.

Pavel36
Level 2

Hi Linda, My photograph was in profile. I removed it yesterday, after I realized that Airbnb was about to close my account, since there was no help from support team, and verification process did not work. Airbnb policy has nothing to do with safety of the hosts or, for that matter, verification itself. They let me to browse the listings, contact the property owner, and, finally, after the host accepted my request, to go all the way through booking process. Only after the money on my credit card were safely locked, Airbnb began to use booking as a leverage to gouge private information out of me. How does it help host to feel safe if the Airbnb knows all my contacts from Google mail, or my LinkedIn network? This information is only valuable for data mining - whether Airbnb does it itself or sells to a third party. There can be no other use - what means could Airbnb possibly have to check that, for example, a foreign passport is genuine? Demanding government ID is even more sinister. One of the representatives from support line told me that government ID images get thrown away after having been compared with the selfie (they require it as the part of verification). Interestingly enough, after uploading first page of the passport, I was not even asked for the selfie! Obviously, the images of government IDs go to be stored somewhere (possibly the third party company providing ID checking), waiting for hackers to harvest them (just think of Uber, Experian, DNC and many others). I wonder how safe we Airbnb users will feel when (not "if"!) that happens? The only reason I went through with this ID "verification" process is because the host will lose the reservation if my account with Airbnb is closed. Running Airbnb takes a lot of effort and carries many risks already, no one needs additional complications. I've stayed at enough places to understand that. If a host needs to see my ID, it is never a problem. Some need it for the piece of mind, some for the taxes their government requires. In Italy, for example, I gave the host copy of a passport for the tax records. If I am dealing with the host directly, there are far less concerns compared to giving away my personal information to a big company that assumes no responsibility in safeguarding it.
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Pavel36

Not sure if it helps, but you can remove your links to your social media accounts.  But linking and then unlinking, perhaps what you would avoid is already done ?

Many hosts require that you are verified and have your government ID uploaded in order to book.

Pavel36
Level 2

Hi Marit, The problem is that Airbnb entrapped me by letting me go all the way with my reservation request including host approval. Only after that they restricted access to my account and demanded private information to open it again. Basically, the only thing I can do with my account now is posting here.

Same thing happened to me. I am trying to get it resolved.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I set up an account with Twitter solely to contact AirBnB, no doubt you can with the others, but I certainly have people stay who do not use Social Media.

David
Pavel36
Level 2

David, thank you for the tip. I setup twitter account just as you said, and it was relatively quick to get a response. Unfortunately, every replay from Airbnb was pretty much the same: "we understand your frustration, we want the opportunity to alleviate your concerns, Case Manager X will contact you". After that, case manager either disappears, or e-mails you from the address you can not respond to (my e-mails just were forwarded back to me). Finally, the best of all: case managers sent messages to my BLOCKED Airbnb inbox.
Pavel36
Level 2

Because of security risks I decided not to go ahead with uploading government ID.

I wrote to case manager that I WILL NOT upload my government ID and NOT share my social media private information with Airbnb. Airbnb could either open access to my account as is, or follow through with their e-mail threat: "Be sure to take care of this in the next 24 hours—otherwise, you won’t be able to use your Airbnb account and any upcoming trips or listings will be canceled (and we don’t want that to happen!)." But Airbnb didn't open access to the account. It also didn't close my account and released the pending charges to credit card.

Instead, Airbnb let the reservation stay valid, and actually charged my credit card for the booking I could do nothing about, because I could not access my account. I feel terrible for my host, who is probably expecting me, because my stay is suppose to start today. I have no ways of contacting him.

Pavel36
Level 2

Update.

At noon of the first day of my supposed stay I found myself blocked from my Airbnb account, with no means to communicate with my host, and full amount of pay for the stay charged to my credit card. 

We had no other way of going forward but to dispute credit card charges. I informed Airbnb about this dispute.  After that, at 1:53 pm, I got an e-mail from case manager saying: "Your account is now verified and all—if any—restrictions have been removed." So it turns out it is possible to verify my account without government ID and extensive social media information. 

Unfortunately, it is too late for me  to proceed with this trip. Airbnb pretends now, through the Trip Agent, that it was a normal booking (possibly a reason for last-minute account access restoring), so getting the money back is not going to be simple.

Alberto569
Level 4
Magna, UT

I am having the same problem! Does anyone out there know how to cancel a booking without uploading a government ID? I made a reservation, all the way up to giving payment information, and then suddenly I can't do ANYTHING AT ALL on AirBnB without uploading a government ID! I can't cancel the reservation, or review, or send any messages to the host, review the receipt for the reservation, check my account settings, delete my account. On every page a message appears at the top saying account access is limited until verification is complete. I have absolutely no intention of giving AirBnB unfettered access the highly sensitive information like my government ID to be stored indefinitely and so insecurely. I would have no problem showing ID to a host when checking in to a location, like one would do at a hotel, but really, to give my ID to this website and whoever else they decide to share it with? Nowhere did it require me to give the government ID before giving payment information or completing the booking. Only after all that was done, did I suddenly have to provide a government ID. No where was I informed that I would have to give that ID before the booking was made, or that I would have to provide it to AirBnB in order to cancel the booking. This is all happening the same day as I made the booking. I should be entitled to a full refund, but apparently AirBnB can hold my money hostage until I give them my government ID? This whole experience has turned me off Airbnb entirely. I want to cancel my entire account. My wife has an account and she has made reservations and has never had this problem. She has never once been asked to upload her ID. Is there anyone who can help me cancel a booking without giving up my ID? I have sent several messages to AirBnB.

Mark437
Level 2
Carinthia, Austria

A guest is trying to book my house for a week but cannot complete the booking since he does not have a government ID uploaded on his profile. This guest is a regular on airbnb and has good reviews. Why cant he complete the booking? I do not require a government ID. What can I do so the guest can complete the booking? Thanks for any help.