AirBnb not paying hosts—news media needs to know!

Maria3575
Level 2
Austin, TX

AirBnb not paying hosts—news media needs to know!

I’m in the same situation as many others. Had a guest stay their three nights, they’ve already checked out, and I haven’t been paid. My question is... how do we all come together and get this story to the news media? The only way we are going to get our money is if the company gets negative press coverage. Any ideas?

49 Replies 49
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Maria3575 look up Airbnb recent press coverage and then contact the journalist who wrote it - They are usually identified at the start or end of the article

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

No payment issues at my end, @Maria3575  (guest stayed Sunday, paid via PayPal on Monday).

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Maria3575 I should have said, as @Gordon0 our payments appear to be being released as normal. Is it a US thing or a July 17th thing as suggested by some posts?

@Mike-And-Jane0,

Based on the conversations that I've read, the issue is not localized to the US.  There are hosts in Europe, Australia and New Zealand who have reported not being paid.  For some of them, it has been going on for weeks and months.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Mike-And-Jane0  My payments have all come through normally, too, so it's not a US thing.

However, it's a big thing, judging by the number of recent posts about it, and @Maria3575 is right that something needs to be done.

Ryan453
Level 3
Lake Geneva, WI

exactly i’m gonna gather other hosts for NY times and san francisco paper as they cover airbnb maybe you can be a source with me

the money is for my parents my dad just lost his job too

infuriating ... going insane from waiting on hold to that terrible song 

@Ryan453  You can add me to your list, this is a great idea. I'm furious, and worried about accepting new guests. I've been trying for a week to get a payout for four extra nights that a guest added to their stay. The guests checked out last Wednesday. Many phone calls, many messages, but in the end all I get from Airbnb is: "Thanks for reaching out to us regarding this issue. I'm forwarding your inquiry to a member of our team who can better assist you. They'll be getting in touch with you soon. In the meantime, please feel free to respond to this message with any further questions or concerns. Best regards, ..."

Tonight I responded to this inane message with this: "Thank you for telling me yet again that you are forwarding my inquiry to a "member of your team who can better assist me". This is not a question or concern, and I'm not interested in "assistance". I'm interest in Airbnb doing their job and transferring the payout into my PayPal account immediately. I pay bills online all the time so I know how quick and easy it is to do. I can't imagine what your "team" needs to figure out or fix after all this time, but this is beyond outrageous - and I know that I'm not the only host who's experiencing Airbnb's withholding of payouts for no reason."

Nancy

Nancy , i just got paid finally yesterday tuesday for a payment i was expecting friday 

the reporter is email is 

CSaid@sfchronicle.com

do you have any negative payouts by chance in your.   transaction history for upcoming payout ??

I recently noticed that a $1300.00 payment for a guest who stayed OVER 1 year ago is still listed as UPCOMING.  I have contacted Airbnb about 8 times- 4 phone calls, 4 messages to a staff member who was helping me.  
Still nothing.  That was over 7 weeks ago now that I brought this to their awareness.  I still don't have my money from 13 months ago, and no one will help me.  

I am so disappointed in Airbnb - I have been a super host for many many years- and look forward to finding another platform to host on.  This company is negligent, and got too big.  

It's pretty outrageous to wait 14 months for a payment for a completed trip from a guest.

and that song....

The same thing is happening to me right now!

Have experienced this exact thing.  I am missing 5 payments now.

Please include me! They are ripping us off right now and I’m having all the same issues described here since mid November.

Ryan453
Level 3
Lake Geneva, WI

Nancy , i just got paid finally yesterday tuesday for a payment i was expecting friday 

the reporter is email is 

do you have any negative payouts by chance in your transaction history for upcoming payout ??

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

@Ryan453  Good suggestion, my upcoming payouts look okay so that's a step in the right direction. I'm glad that you were finally paid.

Nancy