AirBnb's unfair practice not to remove fraudulent insulting revenge reviews

Peter154
Level 3
Pattaya, Thailand

AirBnb's unfair practice not to remove fraudulent insulting revenge reviews

I really need to share this, as it is so unfair! Sorry for the long read.

Airbnb needs to change the REVENGE REVIEWS policy.

After 334 positive reviews ( 4.8), I hosted one "scammer guest", she threatened with a bad review -and did it, causing me to lose super host status!

Its an insulting and offending fraudulent review, filled with lies and wrong accusations- But Airbnb "support" doesn't delete it.

What can I do now? I cannot accept this decision.

The guest accused me multiple times of being a scammer, being dishonest, stealing from her, lying, and even threaten her life !

May I copy my email to support here, and the answer of support...:

My question is: How does this review not violate the guidelines? Who decides that?

What else can I do? As I cannot accept this....

Thanks a lot for any help!

I also attach the review here:

Airbnb told him not to enter our Airbnb and he did anyways! He SCAMMED US saying GIVE ME A GOOD REVIEW & only then will I RETURN YOUR BELONGINGS. He instead went through our bags and took them to Pattaya police station! The photos were false he showed the pool only he didn’t show that the view was a moldy land fill of trash Peter the host also showed signs of -Harassment -asking for fake cash fees upon arrival - privacy violation he entered and threatened to enter whenever he wanted to - Discrimination - again he extorted us after we left one bag saying he won’t return it without a good review then gave it to the police station Peter need to be fired as an Airbnb super host! my friend and I checked in only a few minutes ago and as two young women we immediately felt unsafe. Upon arrival to the building, The owner of the Airbnb, Peter, met us outside and began threatening that he did not have to let us into the apartment since we did not pay a security deposit. To avoid further conflict, we booked through Airbnb. Then when we got to the room, Peter stated “the other owner who is located in Hong Kong at the moment, saw a picture of all of our luggage (sent by him, which is also another violation since he’s taking pictures of OUR personal belongings) and wants to charge us another deposit just in case we damage the room. We already do not feel safe in this accommodation with the way he is speaking to us and demanding money. In addition to that, hosts on Airbnb in Thailand are responsible to fill out the TM30 form, so why are we as guest being asked by Peter to pay for him to fill out this form? This was not okay He is asking for extra charges upon and before arrival that do not exist, 1) There are also limited access in amenities that were promised, the space WASNT space and clean upon arrival as well. But the owner asked for a in cash extra fee for potential damage from seeing multiple luggage’s 2) The place isn’t as described as well the picture froM the 8th floor was not as described in the previews there is a field of trash in the view of our balcony 3) A super host, and scamming extra prices before and upon arrival this is extremely mot He listed all these being available but upon arrival When the owner asked for money about the luggage’s, he said the second owner said this when we asked to speak to her he said she’s in Hong Kong in lockdown and doesn’t speak English. But he just spoke to her recently for her to ask for extra fees, there was also a second tall guy there already in the room He wasn’t staff so we didn’t understand why he was there, please call me if you have questions because we want this fixed as soon as possible? He never told me he forced me to rebook the Airbnb right then he said upon arrival that I need to rebook it again even though he agreed to canceling the dates and keeping the initial payment after I accidentally canceled due to a mishap with our Covid test results at the hotel He asked for payment for the tm-30, which does mot exist it’s free, then he asked for a deposit fee, then he asked for an upfront in person damage feee after seeing and taking pictures of our big luggage saying the owner Is afraid our luggage with dance the walls but the walls are already VEERY dirty 4) He threatened me with this before we even brought our luggage up before I even Paid the taxi he said “you know I don’t have to let you in without paying the deposit” I said I ordered through Airbnb . He said well you canceled so now you have to pay , but this was an ambush because in text he told me it’s okY for me to let him keep the first $317 and he will Cancel 5) The internet is bad when I personally asked him if the WiFi is good because I need it for work I’m a teacher Even the WiFi barely works when I asked if it was high performance because I am Teaching Highschool students online 6) It’s it’s harsh we can stay until the 12th but we have to leave as soon as possible with a refund because this is complete false advertising from a super host, AND he is literally scamming us asking for extra money 4 times for false reasons! 7) This was not okay we could have died because of Peter and he had probably hurt the second owner Chelsea. This was a horrid stay

Feedback Accuracy:
The photos were false he showed the pool only he didn’t show that the view was a moldy land fill of trash Harassment -asking for fake cash fees upon arrival - privacy violation he entered and threatened to enter whenever he wanted to
- Discrimination

Feedback Cleanliness:
We told Airbnb one DAY ONE that the room was dirty the sheets and towels were already STAINED we showed Airbnb that so we shouldn’t have to pay because he is a horrible host and scammer and has possibly hurt the co-owner. Now he threatening us saying that we dirtied the towels when they were dirty upon arrival

Feedback Check-in
My friend and I checked in and were disappointed only a few minutes upon arrival. As two young women we immediately felt unsafe . Upon arrival to the building, The owner of the Airbnb, Peter, met us outside and began threatening that he did not have to let us into the apartment since we did not pay a security deposit. To avoid further conflict, we re-booked a second time through Airbnb. Then when we got to the room, Peter stated “the other owner who is located in Hong Kong at the moment, saw a picture of all of our luggage (sent by him, which is also another violation since he’s taking pictures of OUR personal belongings) and wants to charge us another deposit just in case we damage the room. We already do not feel safe in this accommodation with the way he is speaking to us and demanding money. In addition to that, hosts on Airbnb in Thailand are responsible to fill out the TM30 form, as guest we do not have to do pay and Peter asked us to pay for him to fill it out

Feedback zur Communication:
Airbnb was aware that we felt unsafe around him and asked him not to come during our check out he came anyways with a second man who didn’t speak or introduce themselves. He came anyways cursed at us and threatened us with the police we left our bags to leave immediately because we literally feared for our lives. Everytime he said one thing and we agreed to it he went back on his word to further scam intimidate and forcing us to pay for more things.
 Feedback Location:
This place was just by landfill of trash & WiFi did mot work!
 Feedback Price value:
1) Peter violated Airbnb policies
2) Privacy Violations
3) Discrimination
4) Property Damage & Theft Peter is lying to get more money out of two young black women traveling In Thailand. he has violated all Airbnb policies by harassing us, discrimination, extorting us for money 3 times after arrival and a good review in exchange for our bags that he took and made our driver wait 5 hours to go to the police station when Airbnb already told him he had one hour to respond and give us our things.

And finally my response:

TENANTS FROM HELL …. DO NOT accept a booking from them! This was definitely my worst experience with guests - since I started Airbnb 5 years ago, with hundreds of guests staying with me…. They booked a really nice apartment for a month for only 300 USD after negotiating and bargaining for days… A few days after the confirmation they cancelled the booking  “accidentally” (which is nearly impossible in Airbnb). I agreed to a full refund. Rebooking was no option as the pretended to not have enough money on their credit cards….. I accepted to let them stay nevertheless. As they arrived finally, with about 120 kg of luggage in 6 suitcases, ( 30 m2 apartment…)  we asked for a  damage-deposit of 200 USD as they were not covered anymore by Airbnb guarantee (because they cancelled their booking)  They immediately heavily complained that this is against the Airbnb policy, and after a nasty discussion suddenly they had enough money on the credit card to re-book. TO BE NICE AND ACCEPT THAT WAS MY GREATEST MISTAKE!  I should have just denied access - Airbnb would have paid anyway! But I unfortunately I decided to be nice…. After the re-booking they played it by the book, used all Airbnb policies against me, complained, accused me of being a scammer and a racist, they would feel uncomfortable in my presence, ( they did not feel uncomfortable to let me carry their luggage to the room….) denied access for maintenance to the room ( after they reported bathroom flooding to Airbnb - not to me directly…)   and threatened with a bad review. First message to me after staying three days: “can somebody come to take out our trash”… really unbelievable.  I finally accepted to cancel their booking again and refund the unused days and to accept a payment of only 13 USD per night for the 6 nights they stayed… At check-out the final disaster, they did not allow me to enter the room, then left without a proper check out, - the room was trashed. Aircon running on full power, balcony doors open, room filled with garbage, dirty, filthy, bedsheets stained, towels ruined, walls and cupboards scratched… and then - the finale: 30 minutes after they left, they called and said they “forgot” a bag in the room. I was certain they would pretend something is missing from that bag, so I decided to bring it to the police station, that they could pick it up under supervision there. And of course, after they got the bag back from the police they accused me of stealing passports and money from the bag. Fortunately I had witnesses with me all the time… Literally the worst experience with Airbnb guests ever. I am a “superhost” now for three years in row- just listen to my advice : DO NOT LET THEM STAY IN YOUR PLACE !

**[Conversation with CS removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

3 Replies 3
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Peter154  There’s a lot going on in your post and it’s far too much to read, but I’ll offer a few general points. When communicating with Airbnb CS, best to do it through chat, so you can link relevant policy, and highlight relevant text. Airbnb outsources it’s CS to third party call center workers who rarely know policy. English is also not usually the first language either, so best to keep it simple, and narrow an issue down. 

If the guest threatened you with a bad review in the platform message stream, then you can have the review removed on that count. That goes against policy. That’s why it’s important to always keep communication on platform, as CS has the ability to review communications.

The guest will only come across as unhinged, with a review of that length, and very few future guests will likely even read it. They will see your other (brief/readable) good reviews and see that this was quite probably a ‘one off’. Also, it will soon be buried beneath newer ones. 

When responding to a review a guest has left, keep in mind that your audience is future guests, not other hosts. I’m not sure if what you wrote up above is your review of the guest or your response to their review, but it’s very long, contains far too many details, and is just unprofessional. Whether a response or a review, general rule is keep it short, unemotional, stick to the facts and avoid getting personal or disparaging a guest in any way. Always keep in mind that your objective with a response is to reassure future guests that booking with you is a good idea. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Peter154  

I didn't read it all bc it's just too long, but from what I read this whole issue is Your own fault.

• They booked a really nice apartment for a month for only 300 USD after negotiating and bargaining for days…

A few days after the confirmation they cancelled the booking
    “accidentally” (which is nearly impossible in Airbnb).

I agreed to a full refund. Rebooking was no option as the pretended to not have enough money on their credit cards…..

I accepted to let them stay nevertheless.

Peter, You are nuts. You made one mistake after the other. I would have stopped dealing with these people after they started bargaining.

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

@Peter154 As I read I believe their review is exaggerated but there seems to be fault on both sides here. Why care how much luggage they have? Why take their bag to the police station? There is another Russian review that states you do ask for a deposit.

I'm not a professional on Thailand but I read a story about a hotel having a guest jailed over a bad review as it is illegal. I don't suggest you have them arrested but maybe there is a way to use this law to have Airbnb remove it for you?

Jorge