Airbnb App not showing my latest message threads (inquiries)

Larry396
Level 2
Hamilton Township, NJ

Airbnb App not showing my latest message threads (inquiries)

Since yesterday, any new message sent to me for an inquiry about my property is not showing up in my "all messages" inbox.  I get a notification on my phone that takes me directly to the inquiry message.  I can respond.  But if I close out of the message and use another part of the app, I cannot go back to it.  So far this is effecting two ongoing reservation inquiries.

I opened up my inbox (all messages tab) and only messages from before yesterday are listed.  If I select the pending requests tab, I can see the first reservation inquiry sent to me yesterday and respond to it but it is not listed in the all messages tab.  But the reservation inquiry from today is no where to be found in any of my tabs in my inbox.

I can log on to the airbnb website from my computer and see all the message threads in my inbox and respond to them but my phone app will not show me the latest messages.  I have the most up-to-date version, I have refreshed, I have turned the phone on and off and still the same issue.  I haven't tried a full uninstall reinstall yet.

Anyone else with this problem?

12 Replies 12
Larry396
Level 2
Hamilton Township, NJ

A full uninstall and reinstall fixed the problem

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Larry396

Thanks for updating us! Glad to hear you were able to fix the issue 😊

Larry396
Level 2
Hamilton Township, NJ

@Liv 

Unfortunately the bug is back with the very next inquiry message I received after the reinstall.  I get the notification to respond, it opens the thread, but then if I go to another part of the app the thread cannot be found again in the inbox.  It can only be seen on the website with my computer and not on the app with my phone.

Needing to reinstall every time I get a new message thread just to see them is not a solution.

Anyone other advise to solve this issue?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Larry396,

Thanks for getting back to me and I'm really sorry the issue is still happening. Are using an Android or an iOS device? 

Also, would you please be able to reply to my DM letting me know the names of the guests whose messages have been missing so far?

Thanks,

Liv

Larry396
Level 2
Hamilton Township, NJ

Latest updates:

My airbnb support request that was upgraded to an investigation has concluded I have no idea how to switch between hosting and traveling inboxes to see new message threads in my inbox.  Very disappointing.  That is not the issue, I stated to them I could see old inquiry message threads but not new ones in my inbox; it would not have been possible to see the old inquiry threads if I was not in hosting.

Moving on, I have had a new related issue that is affected my hosting - inbox on the phone airbnb app.  Here are the detailed examples of the issues at hand:

On November 27th, I received an inquiry from J***e. I received an airbnb app notification on my phone about a new message. I clicked on the notification. It brought me to the message. I was able to respond. However, once I left the message thread and looked at my calendar I could not go back to the message in my hosting - inbox - all messages. The latest thread I can see on my app hosting - inbox - all messages list is a inquiry from M***i from November 26th which is from before I performed an uninstall and reinstall.  I can open my desktop computer and open the airbnb website and look at my hosting inbox and I can see and respond to the J***e message thread.  I cannot see the J***e thread on the app hosting - inbox.

New issue related: My phone airbnb app is not updating inquiry requests to confirmed reservations in the hosting - inbox messages. While I have been dealing with this issue, I have had an inquiry from R**y. In the app I can see and respond to the R**y message thread because I received the first message from him before my latest uninstall/reinstall of the app. That inquiry led to a booking request that I accepted. On the desktop airbnb website, my hosting - inbox shows R**y as a green confirmed message thread with his full name R**y C***a. However, on my phone airbnb app, my hosting - inbox still shows the message thread as red inquiry and only his first name. When I open the thread in either the website or the app, I can see the reservation request, the confirmed reservation, and the latest messages going on between us. I can see his reservation on my calendars in both the website and the app.  I can send a message on either the app or the website on this thread and it appears on the other one.

From these last two examples we can confirm there is an issue with the app updating the inbox with new threads and updated information on existing threads. The actual message threads are unaffected, as I can send a new message on an existing thread on either the app or the website and the message is sent and I can see it on both the app and the website. The fact that I get a new notification on my phone when a new inquiry comes through and I can respond to it by clicking the notification and that message goes through also shows that the actual message threads are unaffected by this bug. The only bug is the actual app hosting -inbox not showing updated information, including inquiries being changed to confirmed and not showing new inquiry threads at all in the listed message threads.

I need an actual tech support solution, as this is a critical bug that only just started this week on my app.

@Liv  @Nick

I haven't had to deal with CS for a long time now, but in the past, I always message them rather than phone. If it's a tech issue, I start my message with "Tech Issue- Please pass to tech team", then go on to state the issue as simply as possible (not how you wrote it above- be very concise- no long sentences and paragraphs). This has always resulted in me actually getting a message from one of the techies, rather than some long back and forth with the front-line CS agent, who usually doesn't understand what you're talking about and just wastes your time.

It's worth a try.

@Larry396

Katrina259
Level 1
Magna, UT

I have also been having the same issue for about a week now. Please advise how to fix. I have deleted the app and installed. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Katrina259,

I'm really sorry to hear about that and thanks for flagging it!

In order for the tech team to be able to investigate this further, can you please confirm if it's an iOS or Android application?

Also, is your inbox working properly on the website?

Thanks a lot,

Liv

Hi Liv,

I am using the Android application (have tried it on two different phones just to make sure it was not the phone) The Website is working.  Thanks for the fast reply.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Katrina259,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me with the extra info, I'll pass it on to the team 😊

Larry396
Level 2
Hamilton Township, NJ

And just like that, all my missing messages have reappeared this morning.  I didn't do anything with the app or the phone.  Last night they were missing, this morning they are there and the inquiry message is now a green confirmed message with a last name attached.

No idea whats going on with the app.

I will update again when I get my next new inquiry message to see if its properly fixed.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for letting us know, @Larry396! Please do keep us updated if anything changes. Although I hope you won't have any more issues on your inbox 🤞🙂