Airbnb Bookings for Covid19 Self Quarantine

Answered!
Anna-And-Dean0
Level 2
Burnaby, Canada

Airbnb Bookings for Covid19 Self Quarantine

Hello Everyone,

As travel is opening up around the world, being in Canada, our government has mandatory quarantine for anyone coming into the country.

We have received several 14 day bookings inquiries about using our basement suite for self quarantine.  We, family of 4 with 2 children, live upstairs.  While we can certainly use and need the money, we are very hesitant to accept any of these bookings and have turned down quite a few.  It appears that these are the only booking requests that are coming through with the exception of just a couple who are traveling within the country.
We’re sure we are not the only ones experiencing this and wondering what other hosts are doing. 

Are you hosting or have you hosted for self quarantine within your home?  The basement suite is below our living space and although separate and private, only the garden is shared.

Would love to hear from you!

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anna-And-Dean0 One consideration needs to be what happens if they go down with Covid 19. Perhaps agree upfront that they have to pay to stay longer?

Problem then will be if you have to cancel the next guest through Airbnb they will, according to their policy, shut you down for quite a while.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Anna-And-Dean0Yes I have hosted a few. So far so good. I've helped guests by bringing them groceries, and they have stayed inside. Rather than cleaning and changing sheets as I would usually do during a longer stay, I leave them with cleaning supplies and extra sheets and towels. My setup is the same as yours: my Airbnb is under my primary residence. 

One consideration/concern for me would be if you have a shared ventilation or cooling system. Sharing air with people who could potentially have the virus would be a no for me. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I did this back in March and April (off Airbnb.) If the unit is completely self-contained (with no shared ventilation as Alexandra mentions) I think it's the best way to make some extra money. Most people who would book for 14 days with the purpose of self-quarantine are taking everything seriously.  

Now I'm back to hosting tourists once again.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anna-And-Dean0 One consideration needs to be what happens if they go down with Covid 19. Perhaps agree upfront that they have to pay to stay longer?

Problem then will be if you have to cancel the next guest through Airbnb they will, according to their policy, shut you down for quite a while.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Very good point about the policy and Airbnb shutting down .You just dont know how long a while is going to be ..

..just not worth it.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

I received a similar request now, for 2 weeks starting on Monday.  I rent out a bedroom in a shared house and we'd share the bathroom. I guess we'd have to clean the bathroom regularly and stay away from each other. They could sit in the garden and I'd do shopping for them. There's no ventilation / aircon, just an external window in the bedroom. Does anyone have tips or suggestions? 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bryan10 Here is the link to the requirements. I cannot see how this is possible in a shared home. It is fairly clear that the person isolating cannot use shared spaces

www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-u...

@Mike-And-Jane0 Thank you for sharing this . I had a request from a student coming from India (Amber country) to quarantine here in the UK for 2 weeks.I have a vulnerable person here with me,so I have just turned down after looking at your link,its made my mind up for me so thanks .

Nigel-T0
Level 2
Bracknell, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0

just been asked if I could host  a student from India

, He or she needs to quarantine for two weeks in my home, not been doing Airbnb long,could you advise, please 

Antoinette151
Level 3
Mandeville, Jamaica

Great  ideas! I have an entire property, so it would be very possible to get these types of bookings, considering we business is slow at this time. 

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

Have turned down several quarantine stay requests as our hose rules clearly state we do not offer this. We will be accepting one booking made prior to adding this rule. Yes, we have a keylock, there is noncontact delivery of food or groceries and a cab can be taken to the 2 tests required but there is a risk to following guests & us.