Airbnb Cancels for guest and penalizes host for system change

Paradigm0
Level 1
Miami, FL

Airbnb Cancels for guest and penalizes host for system change

I set my prices back in October for the first week of December based on a special event in my area. I turned off an optio called smart pricing so I can have set prices. and turned off smart pricing for Dec 4th through Dec 8th. I received the first reservation after my changed for Dec 4 to Dec 10 which included the turned off smart pricing days and some turned on smart pricing days. Three days ago the first guest cancelled and another booked on the same day. however, the system did not honor my original turned off smart pricing and changed the whole week to smart pricing. I then sent a change of reservation to the new guest or the alternative was to cancel on her end. While she was cancelling she had an issue with the amount that she was going to be refunded. I then agreed to leave the reservation as is at the current price. She then advised that she wanted to cancel still. Because I had agreed to keep the reservation and don't believe that i should be penalized with penalties because of a system change, I did not cancel the reservation on my end. The guest then calls Airbnb and they cancel on their end but put it as the host cancelled. The reasoning was that I wanted to raise prices after a reservation and I gave the client guest an ultimatum. therefore because I am deemed at fault for the cancellation and my fault is the root of the issue when in fact the root of the issue is there system booted out my changes. Not only do I now have a cancellation on my page, the dates are blocked off and I can't receive any reservations for those dates because of something out of my control. It is crazy to think the guest shouldn't be penalized for something out of their control but the host can. Now I have to be penalized for an issue that rooted from your system. After that I have called and spoke to several case managers that won't allow me to speak with any managers or supervisors. I spoke with a case manager earlier in the day that supposedly wrote notes in the system and transferred me to someone with authority to review the case. She advised that she would take a look and give me call back. While awaiting her call, I was having a support conversation in my app inbox that didn't match with the conversation I just had with the dispute resolution department. After not getting a call back and having two different situations going on, I called to be told that that a decision was already made on my case but mind you I was still waiting for a call back. the second rep I called wouldn't allow me to speak with anyone else other than him then told me that the guest shouldn't be held responsible but basically made it seem like it was ok for me to be held responsible. I called back again and spoke with some that basically said I can only speak to the person that I was emailing with only but because he was not the case manager. But I don't understand how he was the case manager because I spoke with a young lady earlier and I was writing on he call back. then I was old the person that i was emailing with made the final decision and closed the case. No one could change it at that point. I told the last case manager keep the funds and the cancellation but I would not be penalized with blocking the dates so I won't get any reservations on those days for something beyond my control.

How do I get to someone higher up on the chain? Seems these case managers want to block me for something they can see on their end is a system error. 

1 Reply 1
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Paradigm0  I am sorry for your trouble.  In 95% of times when ABB CS tells you they will call you later it means they will not. So don't lose your time with them anymore.

My advice would be to turn off smart pricing and set all your prices by yourself. Their smart pricing is not smart at all.

Then just list your property on VRBO and booking .com and you might be lucky to book those dates on their platform.

When you do that then synchronize your calendars so you don't get overbooking.  Booking.com has mandatory instant book option and VRBO you can choose between instant booking or requests, same as here.