Airbnb Carrying Out The Bidding Of Outside Housing Vendor?

Andrew2202
Level 2
Aptos, CA

Airbnb Carrying Out The Bidding Of Outside Housing Vendor?

I am in a really weird situation, and wondering if anyone else has experienced anything, anywhere near this weird.

I had my house wrecked by a tree, so my insurance hired a third party vendor to find me accommodations. After some hoops, and bouncing around to a couple spots, we finally we settled in a spot for a few weeks. From there, still unable to return to our house, there was an extension in this home. Everythings all good.

Then came the end of Feb. We were supposed to be out Feb 28, but the company that is handling all of my accommodations reached out to the host for another extension, this time to 4/30. Excited, since we would finally know we can stay in a place for longer than a few weeks, we waited. Conversation went around, the host was able to make the alteration, the third party vendor mentioned in the messaging app that they will approve the stay when they get the alteration, everyones good. That was on 2/21. By the end of the day, we were approved for a stay until 4/30.

Early March, maybe the 2nd, I get a call from this third party saying my insurance never approved the funds to them (I do not know the exact ins and outs of the deal this third party and my insurance have, so figured they just figure this stuff out since that what they were hired to do), so they cannot have me staying in the house anymore. Confused, I asked where they would send me, they said they didnt know, just not there. So I wait to hear what the next step is.

Five days later, I am contacted by the lawyer for the third party company, telling me they believe I authorized this somehow (the third party was setup as if it was a business trip, so all handled by them), and that I need to leave the house or pay for the next two months out of my own pocket. Stunned, I told him thats crazy, you guys booked this, and I have screenshots showing where you agent explained they will accept this extension, IN CONVO with the homeowner as well. It was the whole reason the homeowner made the change was because of this assurance. The homeowner even had to move around another renter that booked after my original stay in the house, which they graciously did, and had them put up in another of their properties. There were big changes the homeowner had to do after this company told him they would approve this.  I didnt hear anything after that.

Today, I am contacted by Airbnb stating they are going to have to cut my stay short, BECAUSE OF A FINANCIAL CONCERN BETWEEN MY INSURANCE AND THE THIRD PARTY COMPANY. The stay is paid for by the third party company through 4/30 already. They had no concern for over a week after they booked it, but threw a fit over a week later about some confusion with my insurance company. Now, Airbnb is attempting to kick me out of the house because this third party company, in their deal with my insurance, didnt get reimbursed somehow.

Again, Airbnb is going to kick me out of the house, because a random third party company did not get paid in a separate deal for my stay here. I have this in writing that their concern is the fact this company did not get reimbursed, and they will have to cut my stay short because of this, OR I pay the remained out of MY pocket. (fyi, its an extremely expensive area, properties are VERY scarce right now, and this is around $400/nt. My total expense, to me, would be somewhere in the $18,000 range. Clearly, I cannot pay that, but this third party company and my insurance have already been doing it for a month already.)

So my question to anyone here is (and Im already seeking legal advice), what business is it of Airbnb as to what the deal is between a random third party company that paid for this stay, and how that third party company gets paid via my insurance? How can Airbnb dictate the terms at which I can remain in the building over some contact issue between the booker and an insurance company? Where does Airbnb ever fit in the mix between an insurance company and a third party vendors' contract together?

Kinda confused on this one. Anyone heard of this, or know where in the Airbnb terms that they are able to meddle in or enforce the will of random outside companies?

Edited, bit more clarification

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Andrew2202  The whole situation, with some third party vendor booking an Airbnb for you is weird. But there is no way that Airbnb is the least bit interested in whatever goes on between this vendor and the insurance company- either Airbnb didn't explain the issue to you intelligibly or you misunderstood.

What has happened is that Airbnb wasn't able to collect payment for the booking. That's all they care about. The vendor didn't pay, or cancelled the payment.

This is a common occurrence when there is an insurance claim requiring short term accommodations. Insurance companies do not typically search for a house for you, they either have you do it or they hire an outside vendor. These vendors are all over the US, theres tons of them.

The quote from Airbnb was: "you'll still need to communicate directly with <redacted> and your company to let them confirm your payment with them. If not, the reservation will be altered to shorten your stay."

Concern there, I do not make payments to or with this company, its my insurance's deal. But, to me Airbnb is saying if I pay this company what they are looking for from my insurance, they will not shorten my stay. That sounds to me like they are concerned about some payment TO this third party company, not necessarily the fact that they dont have the money. Maybe Im wrong, but it seems fishy when this is what I was told.

The payment processed, the third party company informed me of that. So Airbnb got paid originally, I know that for sure. Are you assuming this company may have done a cancel payment with their bank for a portion of the funds?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Andrew2202 It is likely that the company is paying monthly due to the length of stay. As a result it is likely they have just stopped paying Airbnb.

Is that a way companies pay occasionally? I mean, the extension went into effect 2/28, and I got a call March 2nd, so if that was the case I'd in theory be paid up until 3/31, no?

Really just trying to wrap my head around how this is actually possible. A cancel payment, as was mentioned, maybe? But it would only be a portion, since part of the extension was approved, so they maybe clawed back some of the payment?

Just seems fishy to me. Like if a regular person tried this, Airbnb would probably be going after them for these issues, but seems like when it comes to a national housing vendor, they seem to be pretty lenient on their mistake and just booting the innocent person with (now) nowhere to go.

I will be speaking with the homeowner as well, as I would like to hear what he has been told, but feel bad for him too here. He had to scramble to make this work and the company is just pulling out halfway through because they didnt get their ducks in order. Feel like if this happened to any one of us, "oh sorry, I didnt get paid yet from work, Im just not going to finish paying for my stay", this is not the outcome that we would see.

@Andrew2202  Yes, both you and the host are getting screwed here. But as I said, Airbnb has no interest in getting involved in anything beyond getting paid for the booking. So it's this third party vendor who has either reneged on a payment or informed Airbnb he isn't going to pay more, or perhaps told Airbnb they have to wait for payment until he works it out with the insurance company, which is none of Airbnb's affair. All they want is the payment. You pay the money, you get the booking. So perhaps this vendor is not being exactly honest with you.

You seem to be under the impression that Airbnb doesn't care that you have been an innocent victim, which is true. What you have to understand is that as far as Airbnb is concerned, you don't even enter into the picture, you didn't make this booking. Their  contract is with this vendor- he is the booker. 

And when an extension gets "approved", that just means the host agreed to the extension, it doesn't mean it has already been paid for.

I understand the difference there. The host created the extension (technically alteration request), the vendor then approved it. Seven days later, they contacted me looking for reimbursement.

No doubt in my mind that the vendor isnt being honest. But I was told twice that I "need to pay them back" or that I "need to get the owner to approve a refund". Now Airbnb is telling me I need to work out payment with this vendor. Everyone involved here, two people at the company and my insurance (who knows the details after I reached out, he confirmed), is telling me they paid money they are not getting reimbursed for.

Theres no false impression here, I doubt any company involved in this gives a wet fart about anyone but their bottom line. Thats the deal with most corporations. However, when this cancellation policy shows "From the date of cancellation, the next 30 nights, service fee and cleaning fee are non-refundable", it makes me curious how this company could get back the money they paid.

Just makes me wonder things. Would you have gotten your money back if you tried in this way? Just cancel it, and Airbnb doesnt enforce the cancellation policy?

Take the vendor out of the equation too. So say I decide I dont want to say anymore somewhere for "reasons".  I just decide to not pay. Airbnb would just leave me alone on that, everything is all good. Or I cancel with a cancellation policy denying refund of 30 of the remaining 45-ish days, Airbnb occasionally decides they're ok with me doing that?

How often does that happen that you know of? Just waiving a cancellation policy or allowing a stop payment, leaving the host high and dry? Is that frequent thing with Airbnb?

Thats my point, something doesnt really add up here.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Andrew2202 

From what you have said - your third party agent booked an Airbnb on your behalf , as part of an insurance claim because of property damage to your home . 

The third party was then advised by your insurance company that alternative accommodation costs weren't covered under your policy so cancelled your booking .

so is alternative accommodation covered by your home insurance if your home becomes uninhabitable?  If it is - get onto your home insurance and ask them why they are not paying out.

this is nothing to do with Airbnb they are simply following the instructions of the person who made the booking.

if your place is booked under a long term cancellation policy there is a 30 day cancellation fee. 

They are covered, my insurance has covered other accommodations through this same vendor during this same claim. Early in my in my op, the various other places we stayed at were through this same setup. Insurance insurance paid the vendor, no issue.

This time, from the sounds of it the third party vendor never got approval for the money for this particular extension, but the vendor seems to have made a mistake and approved it anyway. They were charged, it was a big charge, and they wanted me to pay them back. Here we are, a month into my stay, and now everything is changing.

If they are following the instruction of the booking agent like you say, how are they able to cancel out of this without being subject to the cancelation policy, which states there no refunds for 30 days after the cancelation request?

Airbnb is telling me I have to pay the vendor if I want to stay.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't know I'm not party to your paperwork on this @Andrew2202 

But from what you say the third party agent has cancelled the booking meaning you no longer have a right to stay at the Airbnb without making a new booking yourself.  Airbnb is correct you can't stay somewhere once the person who booked cancelled the booking.

in your position I would speak to your insurance company to understand what has happened and what ceiling they have for alternative accommodation.

If your current place doesn't fit this criteria I would suggest looking for somewhere else within the budget . 

Ask them if you can liaise with them directly to find somewhere within their budget as you have no confidence in their agent or to appoint an alternative one. There must be a complaints procedure you can follow with the insurance company? 

@Andrew2202   The 30 day no refund cancellation policy means the vendor didn't get his money back for the cancellation he made, which he now wants you to reimburse him for.

The booking has been cancelled. It doesn't exist anymore. The agent forfeited his payment by cancelling.

Therefore, as far as Airbnb is concerned, there is no booking any longer for this accommodation. So if you want to stay there, a new booking has to be made and paid for.

The agent apparently didn't understand he wouldn't get any money back if he cancelled. So now you have no active booking.

This is a mess between you, the vendor and the insurance company. Airbnb just handled it the way they handle all cancellations.

But I really have to wonder why this vendor booked such a hugely expensive place for you- $400/night, even for a month-long booking? You don't mention having a family, so I can't imagine why one person would need a $400/ night accommodation. I'm not surprised the insurance company refused to cover it.

You made a lot of assumptions at the end of that post, all of which are incorrect. My family size, and what my insurance has approved already, are a non factor for this discussion. I live in arguably the most expensive town in the US, and this price is part for the course. Two blocks away, there's places for $700 to $1200 per night. You need not worry about those details you misunderstood. Also, in my first post, I explained the reason already, and it is not what you assumed in that category either.

I got more info. The vendor decided to remove their credit card. Airbnb for some reason allowed them to do this. The booking is still active, and airbnb told the host they can cancel it if they want, but now there's no card, so they'd be left high and dry.

I spoke with the homeowner this morning, and that is what airbnb also told them.

No, the vendor did not cancel. No, it is not my insurance that did this. Somehow, airbnb allowed the vendor to simply remove their credit card, leaving myself and the homeowner stranded.

I am unsure why airbnb would allow this to take place. And again, the booking is still active. They just removed their payment method and told myself and the homeowner that for some reason I would need to cover it, or the homeowner can cancel.