Airbnb Collecting Tax Yet?

Answered!
Nikko0
Level 2
Oakhurst, CA

Airbnb Collecting Tax Yet?

Has Airbnb started taking the TOT taxes from guests in the Oakhurst, California area and if so where can I find that info? I've searched my dashboard but haven't found anything. Thanks for your attention. 🙂

Nikko Mizuno

1 Best Answer

@Nikko0, you can check yourself to see if AirBnB is collecting the tax.

Go to your Host Dashboard and select your "Calendar" page.

On the Calendar, select an unbooked day. On the right side of the page the details of the day will appear.

Scroll the right side info until you see the "What do guests pay?" link.

Click on the "What do guests pay?" link and you will be able to see the exact pricing a guest would see.

If that price information includes your local taxes, then AirBnB is collecting them for you.

If not, they AirBnB is not yet collecting them.

I looked at your listing and it seems that AirBnB is indeed collecting Occupancy Taxes for you.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

@Nikko0, you can check yourself to see if AirBnB is collecting the tax.

Go to your Host Dashboard and select your "Calendar" page.

On the Calendar, select an unbooked day. On the right side of the page the details of the day will appear.

Scroll the right side info until you see the "What do guests pay?" link.

Click on the "What do guests pay?" link and you will be able to see the exact pricing a guest would see.

If that price information includes your local taxes, then AirBnB is collecting them for you.

If not, they AirBnB is not yet collecting them.

I looked at your listing and it seems that AirBnB is indeed collecting Occupancy Taxes for you.

@Matthew285,

I am so sorry... I called you Michael because my nephew's name is Michael and I was just speaking about him and had his name on my brain when I was typing this to you. Please accept my sincerest apologies. 😕

Nikko

@Nikko0 don't worry about it! But thank you for your consideration.

Nikko0
Level 2
Oakhurst, CA

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the info. I scoped it out as you said and see my future bookings will have the TOT taken out. I sent off my TOT for the final quarter of 2017. I did pay the taxes because I couldn't find where and when Airbnb paid them for my previous reservations. I tried to download the CSV but did not see taxes taken out. Would it be listed there if they were taken out? When Airbnb pays, it goes directly to the county and I just need to provide them the sheet that reflects that when I submit my paperwork, yeah? In other words, they do not pay me and then I pay the county, but rather, they pay the county and I just show the county that it has been paid? Sorry to be a pain; I'm sure you're fielding this question over and over again with the new change and I appreciate you for taking the time to assist me with this matter. 🙂

Respectfully,

Nikko Mizuno

@Nikko0 yes, when AirBnB is collecting and remitting the TOT, they send it directly to wherever it is supposed to go; you are not involved and do not handle any of the funds.

And starting with the bookings where AirBnB collects and remits the tax, you do not have to do anything related to TOT as long as your tax authority understands that AirBnB is doing this.

Please reach out to the department where you file and send your TOT and ask if you still need to file things with them if AirBnB is collecting and remitting the TOT on your behalf.

As to the past transactions: I myself have not had an opportunity to use the CSV export, so I do not know what is normally included in that. Perhaps a host who has experience with the CSV export could provide some insight?

@Matthew298

The CSV I printed for myself reflected the room rate, host fee and cleaning fee as the things the guest paid for. I imagine it will have TOT added in a line as they pay it. I will be contacting the county to see if I can find out more from them regarding my last quarter of reservations. Hopefully they didn't get paid twice. Thanks Matthew!

I find this part particularly frustrating. At this time, the amount of tax is small, but I'm paying on what I collected, even though Airbnb collected tax from the occupants and paid the tax, I can not find where this documentation is! I need better access to this information and I need MUCH easier time finding out where and when taxes were paid. Air BnB, - PLEASE make this easier! (Haywood County, North Carolina) Allan Zacher

I was able to access  the tot info via a desktop computer, not my phone app. There's a transaction area within the area that shows all of the transactions. Seems silly it's not on the same page. 

Nikko

Holly131
Level 1
Coarsegold, CA

I'm having an issue as well.  Madera county requires that we submit out TOT and a report provided by Airbnb that supports our gross earnings and the AMOUNT of TOT collected and remitted on our behalf.

But I cannot find such a report.  Nikko - where did you find the transactions?

Holly

Holly131
Level 1
Coarsegold, CA

I found the transaction report and Gross earning.  But it doesn't add up the figures.

okay - I downloaded it into a CSV and I can do it from there.

whew - navagating the airbnb site seems more difficult than it used to be

Hey Holly,

Yeah, I did the same thing. I found the one CSV that had some of the info, and then, upon further inspection I found the 'transactions' button on that page with the full breakdown including the TOT that was paid. You found that one, yeah?

Nikko

Allan73
Level 2
Lake Junaluska, NC

I find it incomprehensible that AirBnB does not provide a summary statement at year end of the taxes collected and paid on the hosts behalf. I just got an "earning's" statement. This indicates NOTHING other than a total "earnings" I will obviously have to go to my bank statement and see if this total was with or without the taxes, then try to find documentation (I guess by adding individual amounts) for both my state and county taxes. What the "Heck"?!?, Air BnB can't give us summary statements????? That's baloney. 

Allan73
Level 2
Lake Junaluska, NC

Surly busy hosts must have some way of sorting this out more easily than downloading and creating a spreadsheet for each of their rentals??