Airbnb Covid policies are causing us to lose bookings

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Airbnb Covid policies are causing us to lose bookings

If you compare Sykes Cottages (a big whole home STR in the UK) and Booking.com's Covid cancellation policies they both give full cash refunds if guests cannot travel due to the Rule of 6 in the UK or the Tier system in the UK. Sadly Airbnb has decided that these laws do not need to be complied with and it's cancellation policies mean that guests will lose part or all of their payments. As a result we are losing bookings as guests rightfully will not take the risk flossing their money or being encouraged to break the law.

@Catherine-Powell Please could you advise why Airbnb is the outlier here? This is causing guests to go to other platforms and we will seriously have to review our use of Airbnb if they do not come into line with UK laws.

6 Replies 6
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Mike-And-Jane0 Couldn't you just change your cancelation policy to moderate instead of strict?

@Emilia42 We could but that would allow guests to cancel for any reason and still doesn't get the Airbnb service fees back.

What we have done is put a note on our listings that says we will refund anything that we receive if it becomes illegal to host or for a guest to travel to us.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Then maybe you aren't losing out on any bookings?

@Emilia42 Sadly the 20% people would lose has already been an issue with one guest that I know of. Others may just have gone to other sites....

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I have noticed that when guests cancel outside of my moderate policy (more than 5 days before check-in) they are fully refunded including the service fee. It is only when they cancel within the 5 days that they must pay the service fee, even if I refund them in full. 

So although not the best strategy for the long run, it may be worth considering giving your guests a little more flexibility with your cancellation policy because things are so uncertain. I know this does not work for everyone but may help get you more bookings?

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Basing your statement on ONE guest is grasping for evidence.

Sadly the 20% people would lose has already been an issue with one guest that I know of.  

You are completely able to switch to Sykes Cottages or Booking.com if you prefer their terms. You can host there as well as at Airbnb, so you can just do that and the guest can chose their terms.

I have to admit that I haven't seen any guests put off by our strict policy, and I do apply it. I'm quite happy that Airbnb enforce the booking terms the contract is based on to be honest.