Airbnb Host Access During Long Term Stays

Kayla26
Level 2
West Melbourne, Australia

Airbnb Host Access During Long Term Stays

I would like to know Airbnb's official stance on host access during long-term stays.  My husband and I are currently traveling full time since we both work remotely, and have been renting Airbnbs in different areas of the country, one month at a time.  We are currently on day 11 of a 28 day stay (an entire house rental) and the host messaged me saying he would be here at 1:00pm on Thursday to show the home to a prospective guest.  While I understand that is 48 hours notice, we never discussed this prior to our stay, and I don't feel that it's appropriate.  Not only do we want our quiet and privacy respected, we work full-time during business hours and both of us already have work meetings scheduled at that time.  On top of that, the main bed was so terribly uncomfortable that we ended up taking twin mattresses off of the bunk beds and putting them in the living room floor to have a suitable place to sleep, so we would need to move both beds and all the living room furniture back to accommodate this visit.

I responded to the host's initial message stating that we both had work calls during that time and that we both work full-time during standard business hours and are typically out on the weekends meaning that our dogs would be home alone, so that we would strongly prefer that showings be after the end of our stay.  He wrote back and stated that they are facing the potential of loosing 6 months rental income and would like us to make the home available for the potential renter that day.  While I can definitely empathize with him, I'm really of the opinion that it's not our responsibility to make the place available for showings during the stay we paid for.

In our last monthly rental, our host stopped by frequently, even coming into the house to move things around without our permission and without any notice once, so we were already curious about this issue.  From reading the forums, it seems like the consensus is that hosts really shouldn't be entering for anything other than true emergencies, but I would really like to know if Airbnb has a firm policy on this.

15 Replies 15

My guess is that they are trying to book off-platform since he said it was a 6 month rental.

Hosts can advertise properties on multiple platforms, and many do, and it's perfectly legitimate.