Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Answered!
Penny31
Level 5
United Kingdom

Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Hi Everyone.

This is the first time I'm posting here about this. I've been using Airbnb since the beginning of the year and I'm very hard on myself to make sure that I leave anywhere I've stayed perfectly cleaned and in 100% great condition. I've stayed all over Europe and I've had no problems with anyone thus far.

My most recent stay was in Czech Republic and when I left, I made sure to clean the flat and double-checked everything to make sure it was all A-ok. The host told me she couldn't come by to collect the keys, and if I'd just leave it in the mailbox downstairs, which I did and messaged her on Airbnb to let her know all was taken care of. She even left me a review saying how I left everything immaculate.

Two days later, she's messaged me that her window is broken and I was the last one there. I never even touched the windows, as it was below freezing outside, and I was the only one staying in the flat. I told her I had no idea how that could have happened, and reiterated that I never touched the windows in the flat.

This is making me really uncomfortable now, because I pride myself on how well I take care of hosts' places and I have never once even broken a plate, and this is a big accusation. She's claiming she now has to "fix" this window and I was the last person there. It's very strange, because I was nowhere near this window and I'm just gobsmacked by this turn of events. 

I want to add that she told me she couldn't meet with me on the day of my check-out and would I just lock up and leave the key in her mailbox, which I did, and wrote to tell her so as soon as I left.

What do I do to protect myself from such accusations? I actually liked the flat so much, I told her when I go back to her city in January, I'd book with her again, and told my friends about it, too. But now, I definitely would *not* stay there and will warn my friends against same, given the host is accusing me of something I didn't do. Had I done it, I absolutely would have owned up to it. Very weird turn of events and one that makes me uncomfortable with this entire Airbnb thing.

Any suggestions?

1 Best Answer

@Penny31     Yes, I absolutely agree,  it's upsetting and very off-putting. But the burden of proof is on the host. Proof from a host is always required.  Airbnb states that a host has to try to resolve any issues with the guest first, before they will get involved, so asking, communication with the guest, is a first step in the process. From what you say they could definitely have been more pleasant about it.

View Best Answer in original post

121 Replies 121
Marina1663
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Thank you ; please do you have an email I can use to upload proof of where her plant sat on the wood bench ; it is obvious the damage is from that and I kept a photo 

I spoke to air B and B customer service but I would like to follow it up in writing 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Penny31  When a host finds damage in their listing, they must go to the guest to advise of the damage first.  If the guest denies knowledge of the damage, then the host must go to Air BNB Resolution Center to access the security deposit if Air BNB agrees the information provided upholds the host claim of damage.   All this must occur within 48 hours or before the next guest checks in.

When a guest is considerate as you, it must be very disturbing to be "accused", but don't be discouraged from continuing to enjoy what the Air BNB hosts provide.  I think being personally greeted by the host and then leave while the host is present is the best way to avoid such misunderstandings.  That is how my listing is set up, but not all are.

The host had other plans and couldn't meet with me to check me out and asked that I leave the keys for her in her mailbox. She then reviewed me on Airbnb and said everything was left clean and perfect. 

2 days later she's claiming a window is broken and I was the last person there, but I never even touched her windows, it was 20F out and no one would open the windows in that temp. Plus, how do I know the previous guests didn't do something to do the window and the host is just discovering it? I may contact Airbnb to ask for help, although until the host reaches out to them, I'm not sure what I can do. 

It has left a very uneasy feeling in me about Airbnb and that hosts can claim whatever they want.

@Penny31  It is unfortunate that some people make accusations instead of asking, but it does happen. You can contact Airbnb and tell them your side of the story to get it on record.  FB and Twitter are the supposedly the best way with the quickest response.

Well, she did "ask" but basically accused, saying, do you know what happened to the window, you were the last one there and now it's broken and I have to fix it. That, to me, is saying she's accusing me of it. And I explained I never touched her windows, never went near them, especially as I communicated with her every step of the way with regards to everything (i.e., "I have left all the dishes in the dishwasher and they were being washed before I checked out of the flat"), to "I've left the keys for you in the mailbox". Leaving a broken window would be a big, noticeable thing...and I'm just not sure what to do in the future to protect myself from hosts making false claims. Video check-out? But what if they come back with, "The toilet flush is broken"...I  mean, how far will people go, and is it even worth the hassle to rent on Airbnb since we're relying on people being honest, and clearly, some/many are not?

As a host, I would appreciate your ideas in how to resole damages. I had a guest stay and two days into her stay I was informed thay my kuerig had a hole in the top of it. I checked into this and found it was melted. Upon contacting kuerig I was told they guest had not utilized the autto off button and melted it. I chn

@Cindy203 I have a Keurig for Guest use and have no idea how that could happen.

David

Kuerig states it is from overheating. Guest did not use auto off feature and left it on all day and into next morning. The inside water resourvoie overheated. As I fill with water after every checkout, I am sure I would have sen this. They refused to pay for damages. I do not like to charge a guest unless they agree too 

My one shuts off when the water drops below a point and the light flashes. I was actually given my one and I know it is not a current model, sounds odd.

David

They all have a power button and above that an auto off button. If power button is lit up but auto off button isn't Kuerig will not automatically shut off when it reaches a certain degree. Kuerig explained this to me in detail.

I add water after every visit and could not have missed this prior to their check in, when I explained this and requested damages they flatly denied it and complained about charges. As I would never charge a guest that adamently refu

Deborah765
Level 1
Tavistock, United Kingdom

i have the opposite problem. i have damage done but the guests deny that it was them. they say it was the guests before.  the guests before deny it. the cleaner says it was all fine between guests and im out of the country. so i have a broken door, light switch  dish and shelf -  everybody denies it and worst, i got slated in the last review for poor maintenance although i left all in perfect condition. 

Pretty much any hosting site has some way of seeking a securirt deposit.

From a guest point of view there is little risk with ABB of a host being succesful, justified or not.

David

@Penny31     Yes, I absolutely agree,  it's upsetting and very off-putting. But the burden of proof is on the host. Proof from a host is always required.  Airbnb states that a host has to try to resolve any issues with the guest first, before they will get involved, so asking, communication with the guest, is a first step in the process. From what you say they could definitely have been more pleasant about it.