Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Answered!
Penny31
Level 5
United Kingdom

Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Hi Everyone.

This is the first time I'm posting here about this. I've been using Airbnb since the beginning of the year and I'm very hard on myself to make sure that I leave anywhere I've stayed perfectly cleaned and in 100% great condition. I've stayed all over Europe and I've had no problems with anyone thus far.

My most recent stay was in Czech Republic and when I left, I made sure to clean the flat and double-checked everything to make sure it was all A-ok. The host told me she couldn't come by to collect the keys, and if I'd just leave it in the mailbox downstairs, which I did and messaged her on Airbnb to let her know all was taken care of. She even left me a review saying how I left everything immaculate.

Two days later, she's messaged me that her window is broken and I was the last one there. I never even touched the windows, as it was below freezing outside, and I was the only one staying in the flat. I told her I had no idea how that could have happened, and reiterated that I never touched the windows in the flat.

This is making me really uncomfortable now, because I pride myself on how well I take care of hosts' places and I have never once even broken a plate, and this is a big accusation. She's claiming she now has to "fix" this window and I was the last person there. It's very strange, because I was nowhere near this window and I'm just gobsmacked by this turn of events. 

I want to add that she told me she couldn't meet with me on the day of my check-out and would I just lock up and leave the key in her mailbox, which I did, and wrote to tell her so as soon as I left.

What do I do to protect myself from such accusations? I actually liked the flat so much, I told her when I go back to her city in January, I'd book with her again, and told my friends about it, too. But now, I definitely would *not* stay there and will warn my friends against same, given the host is accusing me of something I didn't do. Had I done it, I absolutely would have owned up to it. Very weird turn of events and one that makes me uncomfortable with this entire Airbnb thing.

Any suggestions?

1 Best Answer

@Penny31     Yes, I absolutely agree,  it's upsetting and very off-putting. But the burden of proof is on the host. Proof from a host is always required.  Airbnb states that a host has to try to resolve any issues with the guest first, before they will get involved, so asking, communication with the guest, is a first step in the process. From what you say they could definitely have been more pleasant about it.

View Best Answer in original post

121 Replies 121
Corrine9
Level 3
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

Air B and B is a terrible site. No protection from hosts who are out for a money grab! It’s criminal!

my husband and I were put through the wringer... it went on and on  and on.

we did nothing but write an honest review and 2 weeks later we were falsely accused of floor damage. We did not have to pay so basically that meant we were innocent but then the site left the incident on my account as though I were guilty!!! Just ridiculous and offensive. I would love to sue them!

Hi! I’m having an issue with a host requesting money for damages and cleaning I know we are not responsible for. The options we are given are to deny accept and pay full or offer partial. I don’t want to pay any, seeing as she’s full of it. But was wondering what you did when they came to you tryin to get you to pay so you didn’t have to 

@Corrine9 Hi! I’m having an issue with a host requesting money for damages and cleaning I know we are not responsible for. The options we are given are to deny accept and pay full or offer partial. I don’t want to pay any, seeing as she’s full of it. But was wondering what you did when they came to you tryin to get you to pay so you didn’t have to 

Sorry to bring back bad memories but I've just been looking for info like this Corrine, I'm going through this right now.  My scenario is identical to yours.  I've not heard back after complaining that my record should state that it couldn't be proven rather than I declined to pay.  They've said that yes, they'll pay it because I have a good record and it's the first time but the host has made the accusation in her public review.  Extremely upsetting.

Not sure if this went through before I logged in so just replying again in case.,

@Warren198 Hi how did the case go? What did air bnb say? I have an idiot who’s trying this. I have images and everything but he claimed that there are burn makes even though we didn’t smoke. He stated that there were smoke alarms but if we smoked then they would have went off? Could you provide any help to me? Thanks

@Shoaib9  How did your case go ?currently suffering with the same issue.

Gregory497
Level 2
New York, United States

I recently received an outrageous claim of damage with an ugly review and have begun the process of disputing. What I find most problematic is that the host can dispute your review publicly but you cannot  respond to their false/bad review. 

@Stephanie Posting here to demonstrate the issue with not being able to go to the latest reply. I am afraid a lot of people will be responding to posts that are way out of date.

YEs but they say that the burden of proof is on the host not the guest.

@Corrine9, was this decided through airbnb and did you have to dispute the charges with them? We are having an issue with a host right now and dealing with airbnb, trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks!!!

@Corrine9 how was this resolved? Did you have to deal with airbnb? 

Agreed - Airbnb is crap - they are into this extortion racket with gangs of hosts who just cheat and claim damages. 

The host gives 50 % off then claims money in damages 

Wow the host did the same thing to me after I left a honest review

I'm not sure what the process even is? If they reach out to Airbnb, does Airbnb then reach out to me to try to resolve the issue or do they just take money from my card and pay them? I hope I'm going to be invovled in the process, as I've never dealt with this or a host like this before.

Weird thing is, I also checked her calendar and it's been marked off since the day I moved out through the weekend, so saying I was the last person there appears untrue, as obviously others are staying there now.

A weekend get away in a nice studio turned sour. I just can't help but feel this was an attempt to scam me, because literally, I left everything spotless and didn't touch her windows. Just awful.

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Sounds like the host was stating facts, not actually accusing you. But it may have seemed that way to you. My advice is to let it go. They were seeking answers and you gave them your answer. That's it. Unless the host actually files a claim with Airbnb, there is no reason to think they will take this further. Significant time has elapsed, and they didn't file a claim. So that's it. Enjoy the fond memories of your stay and move on.