Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Answered!
Penny31
Level 5
United Kingdom

Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Hi Everyone.

This is the first time I'm posting here about this. I've been using Airbnb since the beginning of the year and I'm very hard on myself to make sure that I leave anywhere I've stayed perfectly cleaned and in 100% great condition. I've stayed all over Europe and I've had no problems with anyone thus far.

My most recent stay was in Czech Republic and when I left, I made sure to clean the flat and double-checked everything to make sure it was all A-ok. The host told me she couldn't come by to collect the keys, and if I'd just leave it in the mailbox downstairs, which I did and messaged her on Airbnb to let her know all was taken care of. She even left me a review saying how I left everything immaculate.

Two days later, she's messaged me that her window is broken and I was the last one there. I never even touched the windows, as it was below freezing outside, and I was the only one staying in the flat. I told her I had no idea how that could have happened, and reiterated that I never touched the windows in the flat.

This is making me really uncomfortable now, because I pride myself on how well I take care of hosts' places and I have never once even broken a plate, and this is a big accusation. She's claiming she now has to "fix" this window and I was the last person there. It's very strange, because I was nowhere near this window and I'm just gobsmacked by this turn of events. 

I want to add that she told me she couldn't meet with me on the day of my check-out and would I just lock up and leave the key in her mailbox, which I did, and wrote to tell her so as soon as I left.

What do I do to protect myself from such accusations? I actually liked the flat so much, I told her when I go back to her city in January, I'd book with her again, and told my friends about it, too. But now, I definitely would *not* stay there and will warn my friends against same, given the host is accusing me of something I didn't do. Had I done it, I absolutely would have owned up to it. Very weird turn of events and one that makes me uncomfortable with this entire Airbnb thing.

Any suggestions?

1 Best Answer

@Penny31     Yes, I absolutely agree,  it's upsetting and very off-putting. But the burden of proof is on the host. Proof from a host is always required.  Airbnb states that a host has to try to resolve any issues with the guest first, before they will get involved, so asking, communication with the guest, is a first step in the process. From what you say they could definitely have been more pleasant about it.

View Best Answer in original post

121 Replies 121

Jim/Marcia,

Actually, the tone was accusatory. It was more like, "Is there anyting you want to tell me about the flat?" 

Funny thing is, when I had problems with hot water running out within 5 minutes of showering at the flat on the first night, the host couldn't be bothered to respond to my message/request for help the entire next day. But suddenly, she was very quick to send me multiple messages back-to-back that sounded shady, like, "I just went to the the flat" (2 days after she'd left a great review for me), "and there was broken glass, what do you know about it?". I was flabbergasted. I left the flat spotless, I never touched the window, and she left a good review about how clean I'd left everything, and suddenly she's noticing broken glass TWO days later? It just didn't seem right.

Needless to say, I haven't heard anything since, so hopefully that's that, though I haven't checked my credit card in the past week. Does Airbnb reach out to the guest and discuss possible damage claims or do they just go ahead and take the money from your card?

Such a shame, really, because I enjoyed the flat very much while there. But I'd never go back to that listing again now, it's left me with an uncomfortable feeling about my impression of the host.

Louvaine0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I recently stayed in Paris :Louvre Marais sunny 5rmd view quiet from 25 June to 30June 2018. We arranged a late booking out, but on the check out morning she emailed me and said she is on her way for check out as I was not prepared to pay her 321euros extra (for 4 hours) and also a further 220euros, in cash, for making the 3rd bed in an advertised as 3bedroom apartment. I emailed her back that she was welcome to come check the apartment at 11h00 but we agreed on checking out at 16h00 as I have an autistic son. She did not arrive at 11h00 or at 16h00 for check out. We left the apartment spotless, I am meticulous about cleaning and used the washing mashing a few times. Not new, as she claimed, but was in perfect working order. She claimed I broke the washing machine and other items in the apartment. This is fraud.  We left the apartment exactly as we found it. She sent a request for money on 2 July 2018 for R13500, 00 on the security deposit. This I declined the same day. I received an email from Christopher from Airbnb support during this period, regarding the late check out and that she claimed I took the key.  I explained to him that she did not arrive at 11h00 or 16h00, so we left her key in her secured locked postbox  (MORIN) inside the building behind the first wooden door. On 11/07/2018 16:43 I received an email from Airbnb Customer services:Irina regarding the R13500 damages again. (REF:**). And on the same day I received an email from Christopher at Airbnb support at 21:45 he confirmed that no charge can be made and that all is fine and that he will close the file. I then sent Christopher at Airbnb support services another email asking him to confirm that Irina's email (with reference number) regarding the claim for damages has been cleared. Christopher from Airbnb Support responded on 13/07/2018 14:34 all is ok for me, I close the case. On the 20th a charge of R12089.76 was put through on my credit stating replacement of key.  Airbnb does not want to respond and merely state case is closed. HELP this is FRAUD. 

**[Sensitive information hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

@Louvaine0  Dispute the charge through your credit card company as fraudulent. 

@Louvaine0  Of course you can dispute the charges as suggested by @Letti0.  Additionally it might be best to speak with a customer service rep because it sounds like there is a disconnect inside Air BNB.  Here is a guide to contacting Air BNB

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Corrine9
Level 3
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

Just unbelievable. Do not use this site! Fraud and disrespect! I too have been through this crap.

I completely agree,try VBRO,a better deal

Hey there! I know it’s an old post but we are in a similar situation. But our host simply sent us the payment link to pay for the damages. 500 Dirhams!! And for what: it seems one week , yeah 1 week after we checked out she found out that her wall had a crack!! And she said it was a damage done by us. How ridiculous can this get? Even will all my might I couldn’t have caused a big sound on the wall, forget a crack. I’m not superman and my wife is not Wonder Woman. But this is the kind of world we live in. The house is luxury and the owner seems to be rich given that the house is walking distance from downtown. Plus she own two other flats in the same premises. But she still wants to fleece us? May be she wants to claim insurance from airbnb. But reading her accusation was a new low that I saw in recent times. 

@Ajay35   If you have read up about what to do when a host submits the claim, you would know that the host is required to contact the guest and request payment.  If the guest does not agree to the claim, the host goes to Air BNB with the proof of the damage, the cost of the repair and the proof related to identifying which guest caused the damage.  Air BNB makes a determination whether the host has provided sufficient evidence and what will be a reasonable compensation.

Perhaps before you determine the host is a scammer you need to go through the steps and sees what happens.  That you have good reviews will be in your favor.

I recently stayed in an Airbnb room.  After checking out the host accused me of leaving the room a mess and of breaking a piece of furniture.  He attempted to collect money from me.  I refused to pay and never heard from him or Airbnb about the matter.

I suspect one who will make these false claims against me will make them against others.

I'd like to know that Airbnb is tracking this type of behavior.  I'd like a person who does this to no longer be a host.  In other words, if I as a host, repeatedly attempt to collect damages from guests, but never can because of my false claims, will Airbn stop me? 

Does anybody know about this policy?

Matt

Corrine9
Level 3
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

Very good question! Did air B and B leave the incident on your account?

just another reason not to use it!

Hi Matt,

Are you still active? I have the same concern. Its bothering me since host is accusing me a damage that I did not do. How to resolve this?

I even have a video(proof) but it is not considered or even entertained. I really want to resolve the issue because it is very bothering to me.

Can somebody help me?

@Matt148  I think the vehicle for tracking any member (host or traveler) is the "flag" under the profile name.  So there are two issues in your host's behavior that I noted.  One was his statement about the damage which he is required to do before seeking to file a claim with Air BNB.  More importantly, the host directly seeking damages from you rather than through Air BNB and his security deposit (he had a security deposit, right?) is against terms and conditions.  That is what you would want to submit via the flag.  While your one flag might not cause the listing to be shut down, if there are other complaints, Air BNB might move to cancel his listing.

Actually, doesn't a host go through the resolution center and request payment for damages from a guest first, then if the guest refuses, the host can ask to involve Airbnb to use the security deposit? 

Yes! That is how I thought we were to do it.