Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Answered!
Penny31
Level 5
United Kingdom

Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Hi Everyone.

This is the first time I'm posting here about this. I've been using Airbnb since the beginning of the year and I'm very hard on myself to make sure that I leave anywhere I've stayed perfectly cleaned and in 100% great condition. I've stayed all over Europe and I've had no problems with anyone thus far.

My most recent stay was in Czech Republic and when I left, I made sure to clean the flat and double-checked everything to make sure it was all A-ok. The host told me she couldn't come by to collect the keys, and if I'd just leave it in the mailbox downstairs, which I did and messaged her on Airbnb to let her know all was taken care of. She even left me a review saying how I left everything immaculate.

Two days later, she's messaged me that her window is broken and I was the last one there. I never even touched the windows, as it was below freezing outside, and I was the only one staying in the flat. I told her I had no idea how that could have happened, and reiterated that I never touched the windows in the flat.

This is making me really uncomfortable now, because I pride myself on how well I take care of hosts' places and I have never once even broken a plate, and this is a big accusation. She's claiming she now has to "fix" this window and I was the last person there. It's very strange, because I was nowhere near this window and I'm just gobsmacked by this turn of events. 

I want to add that she told me she couldn't meet with me on the day of my check-out and would I just lock up and leave the key in her mailbox, which I did, and wrote to tell her so as soon as I left.

What do I do to protect myself from such accusations? I actually liked the flat so much, I told her when I go back to her city in January, I'd book with her again, and told my friends about it, too. But now, I definitely would *not* stay there and will warn my friends against same, given the host is accusing me of something I didn't do. Had I done it, I absolutely would have owned up to it. Very weird turn of events and one that makes me uncomfortable with this entire Airbnb thing.

Any suggestions?

1 Best Answer

@Penny31     Yes, I absolutely agree,  it's upsetting and very off-putting. But the burden of proof is on the host. Proof from a host is always required.  Airbnb states that a host has to try to resolve any issues with the guest first, before they will get involved, so asking, communication with the guest, is a first step in the process. From what you say they could definitely have been more pleasant about it.

View Best Answer in original post

121 Replies 121
Tracy129
Level 2
New York, NY

Hi, 

So I recently stayed in an apartment for a month and before leaving I made sure that everything was clean and tidy- even more than when I entered. However, I received a private comment stating that the entire apartment was "sticky". The only thing that I could think of that was sticky was a roller tape I used to pick up loose hair. I'm a little worried because the host is claiming that they couldn't book a guest for two days, which I don't see how. I did not spill anything during my time there and I kept it very neat. I'm not sure if they're just trying to get more money or if they even can. According to my receipt there was no deposit but there was a cleaning fee. I am no longer in that country nor did I take any pictures so I can't prove anything. Like some of the other guests that have posted about their experiences, I feel quite wronged. I have stayed at other airbnb locations and have never experienced this. After the host informed me that they were unable to book for two days, I stopped replying. I'm not sure what they want from me and I am worried that they will file a false claim against me. Any advice? 

@Tracy129  You have successfully been a guest with Air BNB several times and that is important.  If the host found issues after your stay, the first step is to contact the guest to determine if there is an explanation for the problem and if the guest accepts responsibility.  If you deny responsibility, just respond with that message.  If the host is able to provide Air BNB with proof of damages and proof the damages were caused by you, Air BNB will contact you for your perspective.  If Air BNB agrees with the host, then damages will be deducted from your security deposit.  This seldom happens, especially when the issue is so nebulous as "sticky".  

No need to continue to communicate with the host.

Now, the host may give you a negative review to which you can respond.  Your other reviews might be a good balance since they are positive.  You can also provide a review.

Very good advice, but the sad thing for hosts are when you address issues you also will create a guest in giving you a bad review no matter how great their stay was. I have gone from a perfect 5 star review to a lower from this exact situation. I feel there needs to be changes in how reviews are conducted on both sides. It is frustrating both for guests and hosts equally.

Pounami0
Level 1
Brno, Czech Republic

Hi, I have the same issue now. I finished my trip in malaga today. I thought it went picture perfect until I got this msg from airbnb that the host is asking for 200 euros for damage on ceramic oven. I think we left the place in quite good condition and I never even noticed such a thing. He has ofcourse provided some picture and I don't have any. The oven was working just fine until last evening, and now he is claiming that he needs to replace it all...200 euros is what I paid for the whole 6 days stay and he is asking for  such an amount. Also I checked that he has guests already today because the  dates for booking is not available. I don't know how it will proceed from here, but surely its a big shocking experience. I am travelling in Europe for past 5 years, I mostly use airbnb and housetrip, never such a thing has happened to me. I am 100% sure that normal cooking cannot break the ceramic glass on oven, it should have been something else some other time. Bad experience!

Hi, this becomes a very difficult situation both for the host and the guest. As a host I can't be expected to replace damaged or non working items, it is counterintuitive to becoming a host. He was smart to take pictures. As a guest if I truly didn't break anything I wouldn't want to pay for damages. I would require Airbnb to be sure to get this hosts work order from having it fixed and the repairman state exactly what caused damage. This may help you. If he has other guests Airbnb should reach out to them and see if oven is now working. Was there enough time from your check out and the next checkin to get oven repaired. Also, other vacation sites charge a small damage fee (around 15.00) so if a host claims damage the most you have to pay is the 15.00. 

Hi guys 

I am in the same situation as most of you here.  I just moved out of a house today and an hour later i got a message from the host saying that i have damaged his dining table....he sent me some pictures.  The issue is that the damage was there the day i moved in as I noticed the white marks on the table ....never thought of taking pictures to send to the host.  

He asked me for $500 for the repair but he claimed that a hot container was placed on the furniture...the problem is none of us ate there as the table was in the living room.  All meals were eaten in the kitchen as there is already a large table there. 

I have passed on my concern not to pay the host to Airbnb but i have not pictures to prove that the damages were there when I moved in.  Now other guests have moved in today....who knows the host may claim the same damages to the other hosts?  The host even asked me to start washing the towels so the other guests can have them later today....what the hell...am i not already been charged for cleaning fees?

Due to this issue my wife and i are both debating if its worth it to continue to travel using Airbnb in the future. 

One of the first things you could do is cancel the Credit Card you used to book. Unlike other site ABB does not take a security deposit up front.

David
Corrine9
Level 3
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

@Ibrahim21 wrote:

Hi guys 

I am in the same situation as most of you here.  I just moved out of a house today and an hour later i got a message from the host saying that i have damaged his dining table....he sent me some pictures.  The issue is that the damage was there the day i moved in as I noticed the white marks on the table ....never thought of taking pictures to send to the host.  

He asked me for $500 for the repair but he claimed that a hot container was placed on the furniture...the problem is none of us ate there as the table was in the living room.  All meals were eaten in the kitchen as there is already a large table there. 

I have passed on my concern not to pay the host to Airbnb but i have not pictures to prove that the damages were there when I moved in.  Now other guests have moved in today....who knows the host may claim the same damages to the other hosts?  The host even asked me to start washing the towels so the other guests can have them later today....what the hell...am i not already been charged for cleaning fees?

Due to this issue my wife and i are both debating if its worth it to continue to travel using Airbnb in the future. 

I would not go back. The whole site is only interested in the host and not the guest. We were put through the ringer as well and we were treated terribly by the site.

I've been accused of the same.  What happened in your situation?  They've submitted photos that aren't time stamped.

Hi guys 

It would be a good practice to take pictures of the premise, appliances, doors, windows just before check out... Sounds crazy, but then at least you can show evidence. 

I don't think taking pics proves anything - how can anyone know when the damage happened?? A time-stamp can easily be faked too.

I had a £720 damage claim against me 2 days after I checked-out - the host said we broke the biday but we never even touched it. As far as I can recall from the start of our stay the biday had tape tied around it so no one could use it but host is saying we used it anyway and caused leaking. During our stay there were 4 OTHER guests and a baby (maybe the mum used biday to wash baby's butt since the shower-head was broken) but the host is adamant it was us not them that caused the damage.

He didn't see us use the biday, he can't see through walls and he would've heard nothing cos we DIDN'T use it - I don't think he was even there when we took a dump.  The bathroom had loads of neglected problems and I think the biday was broken for some time - he's just trying to score a freebie from us.

Smart scammer though, he filed an unnecessary complaint about our noise to Airbnb the first night in advance so he could use it as leverage for his 2nd complaint about the biday. He was very rude and unprofessional and got aggressive and raised his voice when I spoke to him in person about the noise complaint on our 2nd day despite me being apologetic and polite about it. Airbnb have been in touch and are investigating.

We sadly had our first bad experience with a host in Malaga, where he tried to charge us for his shower drain being broken and leaking into the apartment below and causing damage. Then when we denied we broke the drain (of course we didn't touch a drain, first gross, and second why on earth would we try to do plumbing instead of contacting the host if there was a problem with plumbing? We are not plumbers and do not go on vacation to do other people's plumbing). Now I am curious if it was the same host or if this is a trend for Malaga. It ruined our day today to go back and forth and be accused of this. Now once we denied breaking the plumbing under his shower he accused us of leaving it terribly dirty which is so upsetting because we take pride in spending extra time cleaning apartments before we leave, plus he also charges a fee for cleaning. How troublesome, up until now we have had great experiences, now I am stressed out about the $300 he is asking to fix his plumbing.

@Jessica489  So sorry you're experiencing this! Please do not give up on traveling and staying with Airbnb hosts. A host must go through a specific process to make a claim with Airbnb and provide documentation to uphold their claim. Communicate with the host only through the Airbnb platform. The Airbnb team will read that message thread. The Airbnb resolution team is very keen and will figure out what is going on.  If in doubt, they will almost always side with the guest. Be sure to tell the Airbnb team your side of the issue, stick to facts, just as you did here.  About shower drains.... the seals wear out eventually or can be hastened to leak by extra weight on them. In either case, it's a maintenance issue that would fall to the host. The host should get it repaired, at their expense, and may be able to make a claim to their insurance company for any water damage. Breathe easy. I believe this will be resolved in your favor.