Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Answered!
Penny31
Level 5
United Kingdom

Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Hi Everyone.

This is the first time I'm posting here about this. I've been using Airbnb since the beginning of the year and I'm very hard on myself to make sure that I leave anywhere I've stayed perfectly cleaned and in 100% great condition. I've stayed all over Europe and I've had no problems with anyone thus far.

My most recent stay was in Czech Republic and when I left, I made sure to clean the flat and double-checked everything to make sure it was all A-ok. The host told me she couldn't come by to collect the keys, and if I'd just leave it in the mailbox downstairs, which I did and messaged her on Airbnb to let her know all was taken care of. She even left me a review saying how I left everything immaculate.

Two days later, she's messaged me that her window is broken and I was the last one there. I never even touched the windows, as it was below freezing outside, and I was the only one staying in the flat. I told her I had no idea how that could have happened, and reiterated that I never touched the windows in the flat.

This is making me really uncomfortable now, because I pride myself on how well I take care of hosts' places and I have never once even broken a plate, and this is a big accusation. She's claiming she now has to "fix" this window and I was the last person there. It's very strange, because I was nowhere near this window and I'm just gobsmacked by this turn of events. 

I want to add that she told me she couldn't meet with me on the day of my check-out and would I just lock up and leave the key in her mailbox, which I did, and wrote to tell her so as soon as I left.

What do I do to protect myself from such accusations? I actually liked the flat so much, I told her when I go back to her city in January, I'd book with her again, and told my friends about it, too. But now, I definitely would *not* stay there and will warn my friends against same, given the host is accusing me of something I didn't do. Had I done it, I absolutely would have owned up to it. Very weird turn of events and one that makes me uncomfortable with this entire Airbnb thing.

Any suggestions?

1 Best Answer

@Penny31     Yes, I absolutely agree,  it's upsetting and very off-putting. But the burden of proof is on the host. Proof from a host is always required.  Airbnb states that a host has to try to resolve any issues with the guest first, before they will get involved, so asking, communication with the guest, is a first step in the process. From what you say they could definitely have been more pleasant about it.

View Best Answer in original post

121 Replies 121

How was this issue resolved?
Calvin26
Level 2
Winston-Salem, NC

I had damage done by a door in my home. The guest would not pay and Airbnb said the value was zero because it was 30 years old. Zero to replace a door! I can’t believe their response. Hosting can end up costing you money instead of making a little money.

My impression is that the people handling claims have very little knowledge of what they are doing. no Insurance background,  and seemingly have not read the wording.

David
Corrine9
Level 3
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

I agree with you. 

We were told we did not have to pay damage on a false accusation but that they were leaving the incident on my account? 

Hateful.

we are done

Volodymyr3
Level 2
New York, United States

You are not alone, dear...

I feel sorry for you, but my story is even worse - the next tenant informed the host that he'd found a crack on tv screen. And this happened after host PERSONALLY verified everything during checking us out, and finding anything wrong. He then send me an email requesting $140 - to compensate the "damage", then initiated Airbnb investigation, which ended up IN HIS FAVOR, and they want me to pay $105 to compensate damage I never was aware of. I warned PayPal and my credit card service desks NOT TO PROCEED WITH PAYMENT. 

My proposal is - to create a list of such hosts (call it "red" or "black" or "gray"). 

I start it with saying - my host was NETANEL CAMISA, from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States

People, don't trust this host. 

@Volodymyr3   I would contact Airbnb.   Airbnb policy is to deny all claims from hosts if a new tenant is in the room because it's impossible to prove if the damage was caused by the former or the current tenant.

Volodymyr3
Level 2
New York, United States

Dear Ange,

Thank you for being so positive. If you have such Policy in writing - please send it to me. I did not have any luck after presenting all my arguments and talking to Airbnb. 

@Volodymyr3  

This is all I can point to "What do I do if a guest breaks something in my place". It mentions security deposit but is on the "Claims Page" and it is my understanding that security deposit or not, before the next guest checks in applies. It would be crazy if it did not and it has often been used as reason to not reimburse host. Could be your host offered compelling evidence, no idea about how that is factored in by Airbnb.

"If you need to make a claim on your security deposit, you can do so in the Resolution Center within 14 days of your guest’s checkout date or before the next guest checks in, whichever is earlier. "

Volodymyr3
Level 2
New York, United States

Dear Ange, 

Thank you for your thoughts and advice, it is right to the point! I've already sent my reply to the Resolution center person who sided the host in his decision. The key in my case (and it is common sense!) - host can claim compensation from security deposit BEFORE THE NEXT GUEST CHECKS IN! 

Thank you once again. 

I looked at the listing and the comments and wondered why you chose that place?

David
Volodymyr3
Level 2
New York, United States

Dear David, I am a newcomer to Airbnb, and must admit - it was my fault to chose that host (not that place though - it is awesome area, worth to visit). Thanks for your advice too. 

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice please.

My husband and I stayed at a cottage in Hampshire on May 5th for the weekend. Prior to leaving we ensured to clean the cottage, leaving it as good as we first walked in. We were even called the ‘perfect guests’ in our 5/5 review left by the host. 

Fast forward to a MONTH later and we have just received an email from airbnb stating that the host is demanding £300 for damaged blinds. £300!!

Firstly, we did most certainly did not damage her blinds which was made evident in the review that was given to us after leaving the cottage.

Secondly, the host is claiming the the damaged blinds have had a ‘soul destroying’ impact on her business and on future guests when infact there have been two 5/5 star reviews left after our stay! Surely, if the damage was so bad then guests would not have left such positive feedback.

And thirdly, the request was made a month after us staying at the cottage, in which other guests have also visited. How can she put the blame on us when there have been others that have stayed following us? The host has claimed that she sent us a text a few days after we stayed to inform us of the damage but the only text we received was one to say thank you for leaving the cottage in an ‘excellent’ state. 

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sara

Based on what you have posted, , Air BNB will not honor the host claim.  In the future, do not communicate through text.  Only use Air BNB messaging.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I agree with @Jim-and-Marcia0, that they are asking...

The fact that they were not present at checkout, makes a time gap for anyone to have broken the window. Breathe, relax, and make sure all communication is through the Airbnb message site.

🙂

Cathie

Holly227
Level 1
Zürich, Switzerland

Where was this in Czech? We’re having the same problem at the moment having stayed in a basement flat in Prague