Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Answered!
Penny31
Level 5
United Kingdom

Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Hi Everyone.

This is the first time I'm posting here about this. I've been using Airbnb since the beginning of the year and I'm very hard on myself to make sure that I leave anywhere I've stayed perfectly cleaned and in 100% great condition. I've stayed all over Europe and I've had no problems with anyone thus far.

My most recent stay was in Czech Republic and when I left, I made sure to clean the flat and double-checked everything to make sure it was all A-ok. The host told me she couldn't come by to collect the keys, and if I'd just leave it in the mailbox downstairs, which I did and messaged her on Airbnb to let her know all was taken care of. She even left me a review saying how I left everything immaculate.

Two days later, she's messaged me that her window is broken and I was the last one there. I never even touched the windows, as it was below freezing outside, and I was the only one staying in the flat. I told her I had no idea how that could have happened, and reiterated that I never touched the windows in the flat.

This is making me really uncomfortable now, because I pride myself on how well I take care of hosts' places and I have never once even broken a plate, and this is a big accusation. She's claiming she now has to "fix" this window and I was the last person there. It's very strange, because I was nowhere near this window and I'm just gobsmacked by this turn of events. 

I want to add that she told me she couldn't meet with me on the day of my check-out and would I just lock up and leave the key in her mailbox, which I did, and wrote to tell her so as soon as I left.

What do I do to protect myself from such accusations? I actually liked the flat so much, I told her when I go back to her city in January, I'd book with her again, and told my friends about it, too. But now, I definitely would *not* stay there and will warn my friends against same, given the host is accusing me of something I didn't do. Had I done it, I absolutely would have owned up to it. Very weird turn of events and one that makes me uncomfortable with this entire Airbnb thing.

Any suggestions?

1 Best Answer

@Penny31     Yes, I absolutely agree,  it's upsetting and very off-putting. But the burden of proof is on the host. Proof from a host is always required.  Airbnb states that a host has to try to resolve any issues with the guest first, before they will get involved, so asking, communication with the guest, is a first step in the process. From what you say they could definitely have been more pleasant about it.

View Best Answer in original post

121 Replies 121

@Andrei109  Yes, most of us small time hosts who just list a private room in our homes, or a home we own on the property we live, or who are just renting out a vacation home when our own families aren't using it, are really upset about these big property management companies not being separated from us in guest searches. I hate those folks calling themselves "hosts", and altho I've not yet used Airbnb as a guest, I'd never book one of those types of properties myself.  

Nicole2029
Level 1
New York, NY

I”m in the same situation where I have no idea what this host is talking about. I was EXTREMELY generous with the review, not even mentioning that we had NO WATER the morning of our departure.  And now I get accused of dirtying an already kind of gross looking couch.  I’m not sure how this will be resolved but if it doesn’t go well, I definitely will go back to VRBO.  

@Nicole2029 How does this particular situation make you not want to use Airbnb? It seems more like it relates to an individual unreasonable host, no? Or you just mean if you are forced to pay? From your profile, it looks like you've had many good Airbnb stays and you have lots of good reviews, so you know most hosts aren't like this. 

BTW I hate upholstered furniture in STRs- they aren't cleaned between guests and I find them all gross. I wouldn't even sit on one without putting something I knew was clean down on it first, kind of like motel bedspreads. Sofas and chairs should have removable covers that are washed between stays.

Gerfiazka0
Level 1
Jakarta, ID

I recently experienced this as well and the host is also a property management which out of nowhere made a false claim of almost $6000 without even communicating to me first.

The property actually already had numerous problems, the drainage is clogged, the internet is off for 3 days, a broken microwave, and so on. But I was just trying to be generous because the previous guest already put bad reviews and ruined the property's rating.  

Although the host provided the proof, the strange thing is the host make a claim of unimportant things, such as ikea utensils, ikea kitchenware, ikea tablecloth, pictures of walls and pictures of drainage. Never have I ever heard in my entire live that Ikea products could cost thousands of dollars. Furthermore, if the host doesn't want their kitchenware looks worn out, then they should not provide it to the guest at the beginning.

To add more, Airbnb customer service sucks, lame, and slow. I have been waiting for days for Airbnb to answer my chat, yet there is no further information regarding my problem. Airbnb should step up their games, if things like this continues, Airbnb integrity is questionable and less people will want to use its service.

Vaishnavi2
Level 2
Raleigh, NC

I am also going through something similar but as a guest. I was in Spain for the weekend and it was scorching hot. Our host did not speak English and we struggled to communicate from the very go. After our visit he send me a charge of 250€ claiming we burnt a tree near the barbecue stand he had. I mentioned that we did not use the barbecue and he can verify that by looking for signs of any use. I also sent him timestamped photos and videos of our time there which shows the damage to the tree/s. He simply doesn’t want to acknowledge and dropped in a review that I burnt a tree. I am not personally offended by the review but he did not even bother clarifying the story before posting that which Airbnb does not find against their policy. 

Hi - I just recently experienced something similar that has left me filled with anxiety, upset and I find it disturbing.  I was staying in Mexico City with my adult 20-something daughter.  I occupied a shared space with a male host.  We had our own private room and was allowed to use the other areas.  I have been using Airbnb for a number of years now.  It never occurred to me to inspect every nook and cranny or turn over the sofa cushions or bed pillows or mattress or make an inventory of what’s in the kitchen or rooms etc.  I’ve never had any bad experience with the host regarding damages because we’re not that type of people.  We treat other people’s homes like ours and if anything clean up and leave it in the same or better condition.  I never bring up any unsightly or unclean or dusty condition because oh well things age, a spot was forgotten to be cleaned or the dust isn’t such a problem that I can’t clean it myself to my high standard. 

Everything seemed to be going fine with this host in Mexico City until the last day when he brought to my attention that a sofa cushion was ripped apart.  Granted I was surprised and I told him it wasn’t us and how could that happen. How it was done was beyond me. I told him that we did noticed the day before that a throw blanket was put over.  But we thought nothing of it as maybe decorative purposes.  We’re not the type of people that goes and uncovers things if perhaps the host decorated it that way.  We had no reason to be suspicious as we never had this happened.  My daughter was sitting on another sofa but not the one there was damage on.  If we would’ve seen the damage I would’ve brought it up to his attention because it would be hard for me to miss that type of damage.

At that point in my mind I was thinking this is a crazy situation and now I don’t this type of host of what he is capable of doing.  I became concerned for our safety because this started to seem like a framing situation.  I started thinking that he would not let us out if we didn’t give him any money right then and there.  Good thing we already had our things packed.  My daughter and I retreated ourselves  to the bedroom and started talking in low voice of what the hell is happening here.  He had suggested that my daughter did it because she was lying on the sofa and perhaps her leg grazed against it and caused it to rip.  But the rip was on the back-facing side cushion panel and top portion (not the cushion meant to be lying down) and what looked to me as been ripped in zigzag direction. I’m no forensic analyst but that wasn’t done by lying down on the sofa.  We couldn’t tell what was real at that point. How could he be a very friendly person, even having a very friendly conversation that morning and now this.  How do we know that wasn’t done by the previous guests and now pegging it on us or himself to get money from us.  

What was also odd was that the cup that holding out toothpaste and brushes - its handle was broken too and hidden behind the soap dispenser.  I noticed that the night before when we brushed our teeth.  I asked my daughter of it and she said it wasn’t her and that was the first time too.  And it’s not like I could tell my host because he wasn’t home during the afternoons nor nighttime until almost 2am.  The following morning, which was our departure day, I found the broken handle piece right next the cup as he had put it right next to it letting us know of it.  I was going to bring the handle to his attention but the fact that he put right next to it the following morning gave me the impression that he knew the handle was right behind the soap dispenser.

Nothing like this has ever happened.  I was afraid that if we didn’t pay him or resume responsibility that he will not let us out or call the police because the keys to his apartment had a lock at the entrance at the building that require the use of the key.  I told him send me a quote.  My intent was to leave that place safely with our belongings, no altercation, no police and to deal with this with Airbnb.  I was pretty shaken by this, disappointed and questioning myself how could happened. His reviews were great. I felt stupid for not taking pictures of things prior to us settling down. But I haven’t gone into vetted Airbnb homes with suspicion nor my previous experiences have given me reason to be suspicious.  We’re not party people breaking or damaging other people’s homes.  If we break something, I would take responsibility but we didn’t break nor damage anything.  We kept to our bedroom most of the time.  Nothing like this has ever happened and am filled with anxiety about this now.  He wants us to pay and I would pay if we did it but we didn’t.  I don’t know what to expect and my anxiety is filling my head with the worst scenarios.  Help.

@Magdalena272   The burden of proof that damage was caused by the guest is on the host in terms of Air BNB agreeing to require guest payment.   Your post reflects that your anxiety goes beyond the possibility of a damage claim being filed to your anxiety about the host behavior.  Possibly because you are in a male host's home you feel more intimidated.  

The host cannot ask for your payment directly he must go through the Air BNB Resolution System.  If the host mentions it to him, tell him to follow the Air BNB procedure and you will do so as well.

Leave it at that.  Don't bargain or pay anything.  You paid a fee to Air BNB so now is the time to get your money's worth.  Good luck and let us know what happens.  Linda

Thanks @Linda108.  Yes it’s his behavior that is mind boggling.  I just saw his request through Airbnb. He had texted me directly but I refused to reply directly to him because I completely lost trust.  The picture he submitted appears a damage twice as much larger. Nonetheless, it’s a damage we didn’t do and not about to pay something we didn’t do.  I don’t have money dripping off of me.  I just can’t fathom how this can happen.  

@Magdalena272  Relax. As Linda says, the burden of proof is on the host and chances are nothing will happen. If you are expected  to respond to the accusations of damage, just say you had nothing to do with it and ignore the request for payment. 

There's nothing to be so worried about- a host who would fuss about a handle being broken off a toothbrush cup, no matter who did it, sounds nuts. What worst scenarios? No one is going to come to your door demanding payment or haul you off to jail.

Update:  I declined to pay anything.  Customer Resolution Center didn’t press any further.  Thanks for your feedback and support.  

Jennifer3344
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi, I have also experienced similar issue in Nice, France. In my case, I was charged approximately $50 for a broken coffee table, 3 hours after my check out time. I am very disappointed with the host because she just blamed me for it. I didn't even use nor did I moved the coffee table. I realized that it was already broken because first, the coffee table seems a little bit sloping, second, it was placed between the wall and the cabinet to help it stand properly. I did not report about the coffee table because it seems that the coffee table is put there on purpose and the host has already know about it. I have explained it to the host, I even attached an evidence (photo taken during checked in) that the table is already put there and seems sloping but the host did not accept it with the reason that I should have reported it straight away and the host has to  trust the cleaner as they are trained to report any problem. I asked the host if it is possible to check with the previous tenant before me and I didn't receive any reply. I just can't accept the fact that the host just blame me for it. Can't the host checked with the previous tenant as well? I have also given my explanation and even a proof. I feel very unfair that the host just said I should have reported it straight away instead and have to trust the cleaner as the cleaner is already trained accordingly. The second thing that I was disappointed is 2 hours before my check out time, I was about to throw the garbage to the garbage disposal. I was having a hard time finding the garbage disposal and messaged the host. The host did not answer me. When I left the house, I took a picture that the garbage has been emptied and I left the keys as told. The host did not reply to the message until 3 hours later discussing about the broken coffee table. Super disappointed. I just feel very uncomfortable of this whole situation. I tried to report via the app.  At last, the resolution team reached out to me asking me to explain from my perspective because the host has reported it first. 

Hi dear. I have a very similar situation now. Do you mind sharing how did it resolve in the end please? Thanks 

Richard2542
Level 1
Marston Moretaine, United Kingdom

So I've a situation where, the night before my son's wedding, my wife and I together with a daughter, her husband and two kids (6 & 4) along with another daughter and her 2-year old, stayed one night at an Air'bnb.  At around 11pm our daughter and son-in-law went to bed; a few minutes they came into us to say they'd found bed bugs on their headboard.  My son-in-law took photos and a video which I immediately emailed to the host.  Her response the next morning was totally hostile and unsympathetic, despite the fact that my daughter and her husband had to spend the night on the lounge floor.  Unrealistically, the host said we should have got in touch with Air'Bnb and requested alternative accommodation...  Not very practical at 11pm with 3 grandkids asleep in bed, all of them flower girls the next day and both daughters as bridesmaids!

If I'd had an apology, I'd have probably let it rest there but the hosts attitude was so antagonistic and unhelpful that I decided to claim a partial refund, but then she claimed almost £800 from me me for the cost of de-infestation!  Despite sending photos to the "resolution team", they've found in favour of the host (without any evidence on her part that I know of other than a bill for de-infestation) on the basis that we must have brought the bugs in.  I know we didn't because no-one had been anywhere to catch them - we'd all just come straight from our homes where there are definitely no bed bugs.  It seems we've fallen foul of Air'Bnb's latest pendulum swing/policy of laying the blame for bringing in bugs at the door of the visitor who claims a bedbug refund, as that's apparently something of a scam that's going the rounds.  I'm not scamming anyone, and resent the implication that I am, but equally I am not paying a single penny for the alleged "damage".  If Air'Bnb want to strike me off their list, they can do so because if this is the way they deal with their guests, Air'Bnb is not for me.  I plan to take this up with the national media and put it over social media too!

Marina1663
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

My air B and B host made an accusation of damage three days after I checked out ( Paris Arrondissement 11 bright and sunny studio ) she accused me of doing damage to an old wooden bench that she kept her plant on top of . The damage was from the plant sitting on the wood in forty degree heat in Paris and the damage was there when I arrived , on check out I asked her to walk around with me to note no damages and how clean I left it but she said it looked great and no need . Then days later she tried to extort nearly 1,000 in damages created by her plant sitting on the wood bench . Avoid dealing with hospitalier host ; Paris . She is really dishonest 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Marina1663 

Sorry to hear of your experience. Just calmly and factually reiterate the points you have made here to Airbnb when refuting the claim including that you offered to do a walk around and the host refused.