Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Answered!
Penny31
Level 5
United Kingdom

Airbnb Host Accuses of Damages

Hi Everyone.

This is the first time I'm posting here about this. I've been using Airbnb since the beginning of the year and I'm very hard on myself to make sure that I leave anywhere I've stayed perfectly cleaned and in 100% great condition. I've stayed all over Europe and I've had no problems with anyone thus far.

My most recent stay was in Czech Republic and when I left, I made sure to clean the flat and double-checked everything to make sure it was all A-ok. The host told me she couldn't come by to collect the keys, and if I'd just leave it in the mailbox downstairs, which I did and messaged her on Airbnb to let her know all was taken care of. She even left me a review saying how I left everything immaculate.

Two days later, she's messaged me that her window is broken and I was the last one there. I never even touched the windows, as it was below freezing outside, and I was the only one staying in the flat. I told her I had no idea how that could have happened, and reiterated that I never touched the windows in the flat.

This is making me really uncomfortable now, because I pride myself on how well I take care of hosts' places and I have never once even broken a plate, and this is a big accusation. She's claiming she now has to "fix" this window and I was the last person there. It's very strange, because I was nowhere near this window and I'm just gobsmacked by this turn of events. 

I want to add that she told me she couldn't meet with me on the day of my check-out and would I just lock up and leave the key in her mailbox, which I did, and wrote to tell her so as soon as I left.

What do I do to protect myself from such accusations? I actually liked the flat so much, I told her when I go back to her city in January, I'd book with her again, and told my friends about it, too. But now, I definitely would *not* stay there and will warn my friends against same, given the host is accusing me of something I didn't do. Had I done it, I absolutely would have owned up to it. Very weird turn of events and one that makes me uncomfortable with this entire Airbnb thing.

Any suggestions?

1 Best Answer

@Penny31     Yes, I absolutely agree,  it's upsetting and very off-putting. But the burden of proof is on the host. Proof from a host is always required.  Airbnb states that a host has to try to resolve any issues with the guest first, before they will get involved, so asking, communication with the guest, is a first step in the process. From what you say they could definitely have been more pleasant about it.

View Best Answer in original post

121 Replies 121
Alexis265
Level 2
Chula Vista, CA

I recently stayed with my husband, my 7 month old and our 4 year old daughter at a Airbnb in Columbus, Ohio. Price was great, location was downtown and the place was really cute in my opinion. We were happy to be staying downtown while we spent time together before my husbands deployment. We stayed at this Airbnb for 2 nights. Left the place clean. I didn’t make the bed or anything like that but, I put dishes in the washer, piled the dirty towels and cleared whatever trash was there, then took it to the dumpster. After we checked out and returned the key to the lockbox, a few hours later, the review process of our stay prompted me via email. I left a short review along the lines of great location and great price. They left me a review “great family, highly recommend”. I believed everything was just fine because it was! Then an hour later after reviews, I’m being accused of damaging the mattress... apparently it’s new and I ruined the entire thing. They sent a picture with was looks like a sunken gap in the mattress. I hadn’t really noticed if I’m being honest. My husband on the other hand said he kept sinking to the middle. Since I’m up feeding the baby in the night and intermittently sharing the bed with the baby and with my husband who hogs the bed in a normal situation, I sleep just fine on the edge. I didn’t think about about investigating the bed! Long story made as short as possible. These people requested $375, damages according to Airbnb case manager once involved were $355 but I was told the mattress cost $500 by the host. Few things wrong with that... Mattresses cannot be “fixed” what are these repair costs? Secondly, what was proven as far as damage? What was the damage I supposedly caused and what in the world could I have done to it in two nights sleep? Since I didn’t realize there was any problems, I only have my word which apparently gets me no where with Airbnb considering they charged me for the full security deposit of $300. Now Airbnb is ignoring me via email and I was hung up on by a representative earlier today. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, SEEMS FAIR RIGHT? Bottom line this host is a scam. So far they’re getting away with it. They have 18 court cases in Franklin county under ME REAL ESTATE IN COLUMBUS OHIO. Airbnb also will not let me go back and correct my review so I can’t warn future victims of these scam artists but the hosts name is HOFIT ADAHAN works for ME REAL ESTATE OF COLUMBUS. It’s such a shame they’re getting away with this. Fingers crossed my bank will hear my side. Because Airbnb took the wrong one. 

@Alexis265    If  the mattress was "new" I wonder why the host did not get the company to replace it,  or why Airbnb did not insist they do that,  this kind of damage with so little usage to the mattress sounds like a defective mattress (my mattress has a ten year warranty for such things).  You could try Twitter you may get a better result they do seem to have more proactive, knowledgeable, professionals manning it.

I set one up! Heard a response in 20 minutes saying they’ll look into it. I wonder if they’ll make it right or atleast explain how they’ve determined my husband and I bent a mattress in two nights sleep. 

I have been hearing from other hosts they usually get denied for damage claims. Which is interesting. Although, the host who has this airbnb works and runs a property management with family in Ohio. They have many reviews supporting the things I’m saying. I’m wondering if they just know their way around a scam and fabricating a claim or Lily from Airbnb is real dense and just believed it. 

Thanks for the feedback! 

@Alexis265    My advice is to keep pushing, Airbnb has been known to revisit, and reverse, erroneous decisions if you are willing to keep the pressure up.  And it is true, at least in my experience (and on this forum there are many horror stories),  that hosts have a terrible to impossible task to get any reimbursement for damage. And if they do it is often depreciated value, a paltry sum that is nowhere near the cost to replace the item or repair the damage.

The system does appear to be entirely dependant on who processes the claim (heads or tails) and possibly, as you suggest, how much opportunism the person making the claim brings to bear on it.

@Alexis265   I agree with @Ange2 .  Something does not add up for me either.  While as hosts we often see guests getting away with damaging listings, which is very discouraging.  

We are going through a similar issue, ish, currently and need help! We were at the house for 1 HOUR, literally, and then went out for the night. While we out we got a message from the hosts that we were breaking the rules and had too many people in the apartment. We told them were just having people over before going out. Then they told us we had to come and get our stuff out and called the cops on us. We then noticed they had cameras and were watching us, like what?!  So were only in the apartment (which was completely misadvertized!) We were told 4 bedroom, 2 balcony’s, the whole apartment, and driveway parking. We got 2 bedrooms, only the second floor, no balcony’s, and no parking. Now 1 week later we are getting charged for close to $4000 in damage and stolen property. They are saying we completely destroyed there apartment when we were only there for 1 hour and all we did was get dressed and ready to go out! We have no idea what to do... like we did nothing and have no idea what to do since how can we prove we didn’t do anything and they have pictures of a scuff on a wall, like how can you prove we did that and do scuff cost $4000.

Honestly, that is insane. Unfortunately the case managers that work for Airbnb are a hit or miss. The chick we had was not on our side at all. And like you said, how do you have proof of damage you didn’t do?! We were charged $300 for bending a mattress. That slept in for two nights. No one from Airbnb has helped or been willing to reevaluate the case. They keep saying this is their “final decision and will uphold it accordingly”. They have yet to care about anything I’ve said. It’s really upsetting. I’m hoping the bank can help. Still waiting on that. Airbnb customer service is not helpful.  I’d try the bank route if you end up getting charged. Or if you haven’t been charged, close the card you booked it on. I’m even debating small claims because of the principal. Terrible customer service on Airbnb’s part with no regard for the truth or customers. So sorry this is your situation.. 

For 4,000 in damages I’d ask to see the claim and pictures accounting for this figure. As for cameras ot is illegal for hosts to have cameras inside the space they are renting but not illegal to have them outside the home. We have “Ring” and inform our guests of this. As for extra guests their listing should state if guests are allowed, we also have this listed in our guest handbook. If a guest is courteous enough to ask for a few extra guests that are only visiting I usually respect their honesty and say yes. Now here lies the problem when you invite guests they didn’t book the reservation and aren’t as considerate as they get no bad reviews. Yet you are totally responsible for any damages or theft they may have caused. I have a feeling your not being forthcoming with what your telling us, but no matter I can’t imagine 4,000 in damages unless it’s stolen property. My advice is no matter what site you book with. Don’t use it as an opportunity to invite your friends over and you avoid this kind of a predicament. Cindy

The pictures they sent are of chipped paint of their front outside door at the bottom, a scuffs in walls, and a dented fridge (which one of my friends has a picture time stamped on arrival of the sent already being there). And they are charging for dirty linen clean up when we didn’t even use the beds since we got kicked out before that. The stolen property is a blanket which we haven’t been able to find amongst the friends but very well could have happened when the home owner was pacing around the apartment kicking us out at 11 at night. Our friends (maybe 4 people) showed up and then 5 minutes later we all left. We were not told about the cameras and they were in the apartment cause we found them when we were getting kicked out. We honestly didn’t damage there property and are having to get the police report and a lawyer involved as this is fraud. But thank you for the advise. We won’t be using Airbnb in the future anymore. 

Corrine9
Level 3
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

I am going through the same thing. We stayed one night in a suite in TO. It had issues and we took this up with the host who was from out of town. No keys when we arrived, no TVs worked, broken blinds. We wrote an honest review. 2 weeks later!!! A 300 dollar bill for damage we did not do. It is ridiculous to be treated like this. We are quiet seniors and feel sick about  this harassment. We refuse to pay.

@Sydney70  I can't comment on the listing, as you didn't post the URL, so can't check if what you say is correct- that is was listed inaccurately, nor do I have any idea if or your friends damaged anything.

But what I can tell you is that it is definitely not okay to "just have people over". That's something you need to ask the host beforehand if they will approve. Most hosts do not allow any unregistered, unpaid for guests onto the property.

You have a completely blank profile- not one word about yourself, just joined recently, a grey siloutte instead of a photo, no reviews. It's hard to have a lot of confidence in what you have to say and I suspect this was your first Airbnb booking and you have little idea of how to be a good guest.

I didn’t book the Airbnb so I don’t know the URL but I’m sure I can find it if you would like to take a look. I have stayed at many Airbnb’s in the past and never had any issues. The only reason I made a profile today and posted my comment was to see if anyone had any advise, not to be called a liar. They are saying we dented their fridge, we have proof that it was already dented when one of my friends got there. They are charging for dirty linens when we didn’t even sleep in the beds because we got kicked out a few hours in. And their doors have chipping paint on them that they want replaced. I doubt a group of girls who were just getting ready could cause $4000 in damage. And those few extra people literally got dropped off, came up for 5 minutes, and then we all left. But what is my word when i am just  a grey silhouette who has no respect for someone else’s property apparently. Thank you for the comment. 

Daniah0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi,

I can totally relate to your situation. 

Just this week, I rented out a beautiful flat in London just to do some work in a creative environment. 

My fiance was with me but he stayed in the bedroom doing his own work and resting whilst I was working in the living room. 

We made sure to follow all of the hosts rules. We took our shoes off upon entering the flat, we kept noise to a minimum and the whole flat was kept extremely clean. We basically left it the way we found it. We treat homes we rent the same way we would treat our own home : with respect. 

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in the flat. Everything was fine. We rented it for 1 night, but didn't stay the night. We left around 8pm the same day we entered the flat as we really just wanted a place to work that day. 

Late this evening, around 10pm, the host contacts me with photos of the tap in the kitchen completely pulled out and asking me how it happened? I told her that it wasn't like that when we were in the flat and that we most definitely DIDN'T cause that damage. Why on earth would someone just decide to pull a tap out like that? What would possess someone to do that? 

I washed some dishes the night before, but nothing was broken even in the slightest! 

My fiance and I pride ourselves in being honest people. If we did cause that damage even by accident, we would be the first to contact the host and inform them of what happened and that we would sort it out. So to receive that message really surprised me as the tap wasn't like that when we left the house. The house was completely clean and spotless. 

She responded and told me that it's odd because I was the last person there and asked me if I had other people with me. The only other person was my fiance and he was in the bedroom the whole time resting and working in bed whilst I was in the living room working. I informed her that we didn't even stay the night and left around 8pm the night before. Why did it take her that long to see a fault since checkout anyway is noon, but she contacted me around 10pm? 

Is this some sort of trend where by some (not all) hosts want to try and steal money off customers by accusing them of damage they didn't cause?

I've only ever used Airbnb once prior to this stay and the previous host in Barcelona left us an amazing review and would welcome us back to his house if we are ever in Barcelona again .I am really worried that she's going to leave a terrible review that is false and that will put off future hosts that I might want to rent from .

@Daniah0  I'm sorry this happened to you, you sound like a good guest. I cant imagine it's some kind of trend to falsely accuse guests of doing damage. But I guess there's dishonest hosts out there, just like there's dishonest guests. Maybe some hosts have cleaners who damage something in the course of cleaning and then try to shift the blame by saying they found it like that, who knows. It seems crazy to have to photograph the whole place before checking out just to prove you didn't do any damage.

I honestly don't know what the solution is to these kind of scenarios.

I should think if a host is in the habit of blaming guests for things they didn't do, that might be evident from the reviews they leave for their guests. You could check out this host by clicking on their profile, then clicking on the profile photos of the guests who reviewed them. If the host reviewed them, you could read if this is a pattern, to keep claiming guests damaged things, and if so, report it to Airbnb.

Otherwise, all you can do is deny the damage, as you have.

Daniah, it is sad to be falsely accused of something but it happens on both ends, guest and hosts. Sadly the review system doesn’t protect either guest or host. I really think it should be a requirement that guests and hosts do a checkIn and checkout together, to prevent these difficulties altogether. Cindy