Airbnb Ignores Own Policy

Airbnb Ignores Own Policy

We have been Airbnb hosts for the past 4 years. In the beginning, everything worked smoothly. But recently, Airbnb has continually sided with guests without speaking to us as a host.

The most recent and troubling incident was a guest who made a false and outrageous claim against us. Instead of hearing our side, Airbnb agreed with the guest and made decisions against us. 

We submitted a review of the guest. Airbnb allowed the guest to read it and then write her own review of us. We know this to be a fact because the details in the writing were a reflection of that. An Airbnb Case Manager agreed that this should not have been allowed. When we tried to submit a response to her review, that option was taken away by Airbnb.

Airbnb posted the guest review even though the Case Manager acknowledged that the proper policy was not followed. We asked several times to remove the review, but we only get the run around.

Guests have become emboldened by learning loopholes and sharing deceptive methods to exploit Airbnb. Instead of working with hosts, Airbnb always tries to appease guests. Without hosts, there is no Airbnb business model. 

20 Replies 20
Ryan845
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

Sounds like if your review might reflect poorly on a guest you need to wait till after they review you to write it.

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

In typical circumstances until a review is left  by a guest a host has no idea what is written, until the host writes one themselves, which is how it should be.  Find it so odd that Airbnb allowed a guest to read the hosts review before they have written one themselves.  Why on earth would Airbnb do that??? 

@Robbie54 When you find the answer to that, please let us know.

@Ryan845 Normally, I could write a review, and guest would be notified and encouraged to write one on me and given a certain period of time. Instead, Airbnb allowed the guest to read my review and then write her own. And then immediately posted it. And blocked us from responding.

Paul60
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Airbnb always sides with the guest.  

Airbnb are Snakes.
Kathe2
Level 1
Fountain Valley, CA

Airbnb forgot that the host is an integral piece to the whole guest/host relationship that they are supposed to be connecting. No host, no guest, no Airbnb. It’s a triad.

@Helen-And-Hyung0 This is very concerning.  "Retaliatory reviews" should never be allowed go public, nor should your public response be blocked.  How does this happen?  Other hosts would like to know if there are loopholes or something new is going on, because as you say airbnb has always maintained a strict "double blind" review process and gives the hosts the right to post a public response.  Fair and honest reviews are key to an accurate listing.  Has something changed?

@Dave52 That's what we want to know. What has changed? What happened to the double blind review process? Why does Airbnb choose to always side with the guest now?

@Helen-And-Hyung0  You should report the bug to Airbnb CS.  Either its a machine bug, or an airbnb rep gave your review to the guest against policy.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Helen-And-Hyung0Is this Nikki's review? I see a response. I don't see any other negative reviews (apart from one that mentions a smell but doesn't seem overly negative, and cancellations). 

@Alexandra316 I have checked from the beginning to try to respond. I will check again, but damage was done. It posted prior to Independence Day holiday, a very busy time of year for us. Airbnb emailed us saying that we were removed from the community.

@Alexandra316 I just checked again. I still cannot respond and do not see a response. Could you tell me what the response says? Thank you.

@Helen-And-Hyung0it says: 

your bad person 1 your reservation one person but two person 2 you are untruth 3 you are bad experience airbnb 4 you just use business 5 you don,t talk 6 you do only your way so we don,t want you come again.

I've heard that some people are having a hard time reading the host responses to reviews on some devices. 

Ali11739
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

Hi Helen, I just recently had an incident in my apartment with guest and i feel you. Airbnb didnt event trying to help resolve my issue by claiming it to guest but instead just closed my claim case as it was all my fault. I cant be more disappointing than this anymore. really devastated!