Airbnb Insurance to cover

Maria538
Level 2
Ashwood, Australia

Airbnb Insurance to cover

Hi Fellow Hosts!

We had a guest who burnt out table and didn't pay for damages, which I then escalated it to airbnb as this has always been the policy. To try and resolve between guest first. I then escalated it as my guest didn't pay for damages and this is the reply I got from Airbnb. If this is there new policy, then this leaves a lot of Claims that they must get out of paying. Below is what Airbnb sent me regarding my claim

It was stated in the email:

Relevant section of Terms: “You must notify Airbnb as well as the Responsible Guest about your complaint and attempt to resolve the loss or damage with the Responsible Guest within the earlier of (i) fourteen (14) days of the check-out date, or (ii) before your next guest checks in.“

This is a strict policy requirement and is in place to ensure timely and accurate resolutions for both hosts and guests.

- Dana´s check out: Mar 23, 2021 at 10:00AM GMT+11

- Emma ´s check in: Mar 23, 2021 at 2:00PM GMT+11

- Incident reported to Airbnb: Mar 25, 2021 at 6:28PM GMT+11 - Incident was reported to Airbnb after next guest check-in.

Can anyone else share some light on this? 

Also what happens if the guest burns down the place and Airbnb try not to pay because of the above?

Thanks

Maria

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Maria538  This isn't anything new. Read the information on the Airbnb site Help section- it tells you that you have to report the damage before the next guest checks in.

Airbnb does not provide "insurance". They may reimburse you for some damages if the guest won't take responsibility, and if you follow the protocol for reporting, but that is certainly not guaranteed.

You need your own private str insurance. If you think Airbnb would pay for your house burning down, you're dreaming. 

I must admit I didn't know about new policy as previously it was not the case, I suppose my bad for not reading it.

we have insurance if the place burns down but if an airbnb guest does it then, shouldn't the host guarantee pay? 

thanks for your feedback. 

We've been saying this for years. You MUST report damage in the Resolution Center before the next guest checks in. That's the liability of having a guest check out and another check in on the same day. Because the guest that caused the damage could claim the next guest did it.

We don't do same day turn-arounds any more for that reason.

The first time we filed a claim it was after another guest checked in, but Airbnb could see that I had been discussing the damage with the previous guest starting right after check-out. Same with a guest earlier this year.

Airbnb will reimburse you if you upload photos and estimates or invoices if the guest doesn't pay. But only if you followed the steps.

I must admit I didn't know that was the policy as previously when we claimed it was different.

I started to discuss damage with the guest immediately after they left, so Airbnb can clearly see this. I also uploaded receipt and photos.

I don't understand why they need to be so **bleep** hard about this. It makes me want to not bother renting on this platform anymore.

Thanks anyway for your feedback.

@Maria538  I can definitely understand your frustration here, but I'm not aware of a major rental platform with a more lenient or generous policy on damage claims. Maybe a host who has listings on multiple sites can share some information about how the claim procedures differ.

If after you research, you find that Airbnb is still a useful tool for your business, you might consider increasing the gap between bookings so that you don't have same-day changeovers. A lot of things could go wrong that 4 hours wouldn't be enough time to fix before a check-in....

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Maria538 

So sorry to hear about your experience and understand your feeling frustrated.

Airbnb is a booking platform.

The short answer is that as an Airbnb host, you do need additional insurance.

Hosting with any natural frequency is likely to void your current homeowners' policy, and Airbnb's protection is inadequate.

Do consult with your local insurance agency for additional protection and the insurance procedures.

Conclude your calendar to,

1. Advance notice: At least one days or more 
  2. Preparation times: Automatic block your calendar ( one day or more ) before and after every reservation 

To assume, you should reach out to the responsible guest immediately when you discover something has gone wrong. Specifically, you need to contact them either 14 days after checkout or before your following guest checks in, whichever comes earlier. When submitting your request using the Resolution Center, please include a description of the damages, photos of the damage, support for the amount claimed, and where applicable, the age of the damaged item. The clarity of your request and the support of that request will significantly improve the odds of resolving your guest's situation using the Resolution Center. If the guest is not agreeable to your request, proper documentation will streamline Airbnb's process to review and make a decision.

Q 1: What if I can’t get any documentation/quotes needed by the request deadline?

A 1:  It’s best to report issues as soon as they happen. This allows for a timely guest response and a comprehensive review of the scenario. When damages are reported weeks or months after the occurrence, it’s often difficult to get in touch with the guest and the documentation is no longer fresh or actionable. Airbnb can send a third-party claims administrator to help evaluate the damages. If it’s a busy season for you, Airbnb recommends at least letting your Airbnb Resolution Center representative know that.

Q 2: To claim the Host Guarantee, I have to do it within 14 days after the guest departure date, but I don’t have the time and money to replace what the previous guest damaged before my next guest arrives. What should I do?

A 2: In this scenario, please report the occurrence as soon as possible, either through the Resolution Center or through contacting Airbnb directly. Airbnb support staff can assist in rebooking the guest as necessary, review damages, and consider if you’re experiencing booking income loss as a result of the occurrence.

Q 3: How do I get money back from the Security Deposit for damage?

A 3: You must first contact the guest through the Resolution Center. Once your request is posted, the guest can accept the bid, offer an alternate amount, or decline the request. If the guest agrees to your request through the Resolution Center, the amount requested will automatically be remitted to you within 24 hours. If the guest does not accept the request, you or your guest may ask that Airbnb mediate a resolution 72 hours after the request has been published. An Airbnb representative will review the claim and decide. In cases where a security deposit award is made, they’ll communicate the amount to be paid and will process a payment to your preferred payout method on file.

Q 4: What’s the point in having a security deposit if we can’t use it? Why do we need the approval of the guest for it to be paid out?

A 4: This community is based on trust and good faith between hosts and guests. Airbnb wants hosts and guests to be protected from the misuse (of property and also of claims). Airbnb's intent will mediate in the resolution of claims if an agreement cannot be met within the Resolution Center. This is intended to ensure a fair resolution for both parties.

On the Airbnb help page, where you’ll find articles such as the below.

Host Guaranteed

https://www.airbnb.com/d/guarantee

Host Protection Insurance

https://www.airbnb.com/d/host-protection-insurance

What's the difference between Airbnb's Host Guarantee and Host Protection Insurance?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/938/whats-the-difference-between-airbnbs-host-guarantee-and-host...

Airbnb: Advantages and Disadvantage

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/032814/pros-and-cons-using-airbnb.asp

Investopedia

Investopedia is the world's leading source of financial content on the web, ranging from market news to retirement strategies, investing education to insights from advisor

I hope you will resolve the issue.

Happy Hosting!   

Waybridge0
Level 2
New York, NY

Airbnb has been the WORST when it comes to using their insurance for damages caused by guest. I had a guest, Tyler Patrick (Moore is his last name, and I’m posting it so any host can beware of this person), that broke my strict cancellation policy, broke a lot of my house rules with noise, ruined my toilet, I had to change the locks because I suspect he was using illicit drugs in my apartment, accused ME of having heroine in my apartment (probably his stash) flushed down a brown powder down my toilet and who knows what other paraphernalia because toilet isn’t working properly, the guest charged me $800 under charges to get his money back despite him breaking my strict cancellation policy, the guest also managed to have airbnb adjust the reservation even though I didn’t manually change nor cancel his reservation since he decided to leave on his own after he ruined my toilet, and airbnb did NOTHING ABOUT IT! I’ve been dealing with this issue since January 2021 and it’s April 2021. On top of it, the guest has 1 review and they believed him or haven’t done their due diligence - I have 49 4-5 star reviews and I’m a super host. The guest also stopped his payment via his credit card so second payment couldn’t come through. Airbnb kept passing me from department to different departments for months! They had me speak to an Indian guy last trying to get me to fool me into signing different contracts that protect themselves (airbnb) and not me. He promised me the payment for plumbing, lock changes and It’s the day of today and I still have not gotten any money from airbnb  insurance. As a matter a fact, I will post this in every single community comment box so people can know how badly airbnb has handled my case until it gets resolved. Not only did the guest ruin my travel plans (the guest reserved for 2 months, but left 10 days after by choice) but I lost money and airbnb adjusted the reservation benefiting this guest that framed me. I warn every host from this guest Tyler Patrick Moore - he also had left his previous airbnb reservation as well and wanted to book my place the same day he left his other airbnb location but I didn’t know at the time.