Airbnb Lease vs Rental

Kyle76
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Airbnb Lease vs Rental

My condominium in Toronto Canada does not allow short term leases, but does not mention rentals. As far as I can see from reading the Ontario tenancies act and local by laws lease and rentals are legally different and not interchangeable and both offer different rules ans protections. First question is am I right, since my condo rules and deceleration only prohibit short term leases does that mean rentals are not covered.  Als

2 Replies 2
Benny22
Level 2
Vaughan, Canada

Hi Kyle and everybody.

I was looking for a case like yours, on the AIRBNB forum, because I'm probably in the same situation and really do not know what to do.

I have a condo in my possession north of Toronto (Thornhill), and I live in it, for now. About a month ago, I decided to rent the spare bedroom and bathroom in the apartment in Airbnb. 

Today, the manager of the building called me and said that she had heard that I was hosting people by Airbnb. It's probably my tenant, who innocently told about it to the concierge at the entrance.

The principal told me that according to the rules of the building, it is impossible to rent the apartments for a period of less than a year. When I tried to argue with her, she continued to insist and also hinted that if I wouldn't stop it, she would act through the building's legal lawyers.

Do you know what you can do?

Sincerely

Benny Yacobi

BobB0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hello Kyle,

I am not sure if you have a case. Though Lease and Rent are not the same, short term lease is actually implying it is a rental (anything less than 1 year lease is a rental)

http://www.rentseeker.ca/blog/index.php/know-your-options-apartment-leases-vs-rental-agreements/1093

Condo rules are there to protect your unit too.

I am in a bit of a situation as my tenant has listed my new condo on airbnb. Can anyone help me point to how I can have airbnb delist the property or whom I can call?

Thanks.

BobB

Regards,
BobB