Airbnb No Longer Shows Amount Of Security Deposit

Answered!
Daniel-Rusteen0
Level 10
California, United States

Airbnb No Longer Shows Amount Of Security Deposit

The fact that you have a security deposit and the amount of the security deposit is no longer shown on your public Airbnb listing page.

What do we think of this?

Although the security deposit really doesn't matter, in that you still have to submit a claim for any damage which the guest can decline, I like the idea of showing one as a deterrent.

Airbnb probably removed it because guests' thought they would be charged this amount. I still remember my first booked Airbnb as a guest and was frightened by the $1000+ security deposit. Do you know what it made me do? Clean up on my way out.

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Daniel-Rusteen0 

Security deposit is still on the listing, but hidden at bottom of listing.

Under section "health and safety", click "show more". and there it is !

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10

@Daniel-Rusteen0 

Security deposit is still on the listing, but hidden at bottom of listing.

Under section "health and safety", click "show more". and there it is !

@Emiel1  Well, if that's not counterintuitive, I don't know what is. What does a security deposit to be applied to a guest causing damages, or leaving the place a pigsty have to do with health and safety? It's  like they purposely hid it where no one would ever think to look.

@Daniel-Rusteen0  I've never had a security deposit myself, but I agree it should be made evident to guests. I can see guests not booking a listing if they think this is going to be charged when they book and held, but basically any guest who balks at being informed that they could be charged up to that amount for damages isn't a guest I would trust to be respectful.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Sarah977 

Airbnb  must be ironically referring here to the health of the host, after finding out there is actually no security deposit charged at all after making a claim :>)

@Emiel1  That's funny.

I'll bet their bots programmed it in the health and safety section because the word "security" was aligned as a synonym for "safety". 

Even more well hidden than those pesky house rules. Funny how all the things that might potentially put a guest off of booking an Airbnb listing are so well hidden. Stupid rules? Look away, guest - hide your eyes! Security deposit? We would never, dear guest! It's highly annoying, as is this tendency Airbnb has of making these subtle tweaks with no notice.

@Colleen253  Hosts' check-in or out times suddenly showing as flexible and IB mysteriously activating, also seem to me not to be random glitches, as they are always to the guests' advantage.

Terri263
Level 3
Harrison, ID

There are no protections for damages guest do. I agree showing  the security deposit helps deter most honest guests.

Victor347
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

The Security Deposit is not being charge to guest during booking process and is a Loophole in Airbnb for guest not to take care of property, not to follow house rules and protocols.  Hotels and Car Rentals charge a hold on credit cards for a reason.

I currently had a situation with new Airbnb guest account booking.  

After getting caught having 3 additional guest without paying.  I nicely ask for the payment.  The first 2 days guest said all was excellent.   Than I reminded him about the additional guest payments.  No action from his side until I submitted through Airbnb the Additional Guest Alteration Request. 

He confirm the. Guest only to say that they were family who came to hangout. But funny they arrive with luggage when I saw them with my girlfriend.... Plus caught on my outside premises Security Cameras recording the following days confirmed.

He tried to intimidate me about the use of security cameras. 

He than fabricated a false claim about bed bugs to deviate the true issue with Airbnb using Mosquito and No See Um bites.  

He forgot I am a 20 Years Pest Control Consultant... 😎

He left my property trashed.. Send him a 6.5 wrestler looking staff to check my property.  10min later I checked my cameras and they started to leave. 

Short Story.... Found out the hard way Security Deposit Not Being Charged... No wonder guest not following House Rules and Protocols as before... They have no risk!! They can leave freely without payment of damages or additional guest.

I am a 5 Years Experience Airbnb Superhost and this case was not handle correctly by Airbnb Support staff.  Lots of details..

Airbnb Needs to Fix the Security Deposit issues Yesterday..Not Tomorrow..  Or more properties will be left trash or damaged... 

Airbnb paid for the deep cleaning fee... Not Guests.   They also avoided payment of additional guest. THATS when I confirm No Security Deposit being Charged at All..

Host.... you need to Call Airbnb and Claim about these Loopholes.... I was lucky.... Was able to solve but was stressing and time consuming.. 

But you need to pressure so to fix.. Now.. Call Airbnb.. Tell about it to other Airbnb Host friends.. Spread it in Social Media..

ITS the reason why suddenly you see so many news of Airbnb being trashed and damaged.  

Airbnb needs to stick to some of its Roots.. Security Deposit charge is a Must.. 

The Host Guaranteed Insurance should cover after deduction in the Security Deposit is used...  Like a deductible in a Car Insurance...

I already spread word to friends that Host.. Do same plus Call Airbnb...

Cheers

Victor Torres 

5 Years Experience SuperHost 

Over 800 Reviews , Over 3000 Stays

Come and Vacation in the Tropical Island Paradise of Puerto Rico 

www.airbnb.com/p/vacation-in-pr 

I love to Airbnb Host

have resumed hosting after 2 years and see they’ve taken away the security deposit on bookings.  I just had guests who kept the AC on 24/7 even though i specifically asked them to turn it off when they went out and I specified in my listing that there will be a surcharge if the electricty exceeds a certain amount per day. Here in Italy electricty costs are going through the roof!  I want Airbnb to reinstate the security deposit to discourage guests from abusing the use of utilities and from abusing my property. I agree with earlier comments that a security deposit encourages guests to take better care of a home.

@Tracey134 Airbnb have never charged a security deposit. It was always a myth that I guess they are now being more honest about. You can use the resolution centre to request your surcharge.