Airbnb Paid $1.5B in 2021 Tourism Taxes to U.S. States

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA

Airbnb Paid $1.5B in 2021 Tourism Taxes to U.S. States

The contribution of Hosts to local government revenue is something that's not often talked about. 

So it' worth highlighting and celebrating the fact that last year, through their hard work and hospitality, Hosts in the United States, DC and Puerto Rico sent $1.5 billion of new money into the coffers of local governments all around the nation, including those counties whose revenues suffered, and continue to suffer, during the pandemic.

"Airbnb Inc found a home for more than $1.5 billion in tourism taxes last year in every U.S. state, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico".

https://www.pymnts.com/taxes/2022/airbnb-paid-1-5b-in-2021-tourism-taxes-to-u-s-states/

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Peter1 Is the HAB just a mouthpiece for good Airbnb PR?

Oh and by the way this is a global forum and so many people will not care about US government revenues!

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA

@Mike-And-Jane0Thank you for your reply.  

The intent of  my post, as reflected by the opening words I used, is to highlight "the contribution of Hosts."  I go on to celebrate "the hard work and hospitality" of "Hosts in the United States, DC and Puerto Rico."  So, to be accurate, I admit to being a mouthpiece for good Host PR (to use your phrasing), which is consistent with being a member of the Host Advisory Board.

And yes, I am aware that "this is a global forum."  But the article to which I provided a link also made reference to revenues raised by Hosts in non-U.S. countries:

"In Canada, Airbnb remitted $54 million in 2021.

Worldwide, travel on Airbnb has generated more than $4 billion in tax revenue and advanced 1,000 regulatory frameworks for short-term rentals, the company added."

Moreover, I am sure that many Hosts in non-U.S countries are interested in positive news about U.S. Hosts, as I am about overseas Hosts making a positive contribution to their communities.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Peter1   I'm all for that, Aibnb should do a better job at calculating and publicizing the economic benefit it brings to local communities, both in taxes and in tourists spending money in communities they may otherwise never visit.

Unfortunately in my city, Jersey City, hosts had to end up paying the 6% city occupancy tax out of our pockets due to some conflict with Airbnb and the local government over whether or how or where the money was or was not collected and paid.